Passed eJPT - My Experience

materwelonmaterwelon Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
after 10 hours i finally slayed the beast and passed with a 95! i spent 4 hours on friday night and 6 hours saturday morning/afternoon. my score does not reflect the struggle i went through during this exam. It took me 2 and a half hours just to figure out the first part and i actually considered quitting a few times

my setup - i ran Kali Linux live off a usb stick, its the easiest method imo. the only problem is there's no sound and you can't permanently save anything, meaning if you shut down your computer and boot it back up you will have a clean slate. all of your notes, downloads, docs, etc., will be gone. i downloaded all of the lab manuals to my tablet and used them as a quick reference guide, these manuals were key during the exam

some tips - guidance is minimal. when you start you basically get a letter of engagement showing you how to connect to the exam lab and they give you a list of suggested programs to use and that's pretty much it, from there you're on your own. use the multiple choice questions to set your objectives. the coding parts aren't on the exam, you also do not need to use Nessus. i discovered that one of the programs (that is typiclly a pre-installed program on kali) was not working so i had to install it

final thoughts - my brain is fried, my body is aching and it seriously feels like i went through a gauntlet. you're going to hit a wall, you're going to feel discouraged but all of the info is there, you just have to look for it. the hands on experience and wealth of knowledge that you gain during this course is well worth the $300

Comments

• airzeroairzero Member Posts: 126
    Congratulations man! It can definitely be a difficult test for beginners but you crushed it. Hope you continue on to more security certs!

Just a tip for the future, for any eLearnSecurity or OffSec certs, it works well to just use a Kali Linux VM on your normal OS and use NAT to reach out with the VPN. This lets you save everything and is easier to troubleshoot if you have issues.
  • Captain_DeadpoolCaptain_Deadpool Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! I remember my eJPT experience being similar. The exam is deff underrated, imo.

Just a heads up: you can save information to the USB if you run kali of it. iirc, just make sure you partition a piece of the drive and set up kali with persistence.

Question is, what cert are you gonna take down next?!?!
  • materwelonmaterwelon Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks for the tips guys!

CEH is next on my list. i plan on taking the exam in August or September. after that im going to take a break and focus on gaining experience in the InfoSec field, and maybe learn some Python
    CEH is a good one to have if not just for the HR filter. I would say eJPT is like the hands-on version of the CEH. You also can't go wrong learning some Python, Perl, or Ruby in InfoSec. Good luck to you man.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Congrats on the pass!!
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Congrats on the Pass. CEH might get you past HR, but if I were you I'd aim for eCPPT; that's where you will learn and gain some serious real skills, and maybe OSCP after icon_cool.gif
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

eCPPT is a good one. I learned a lot from OSCP, but if I had know about eLearnSecurity before I would of went eJPT -> eCPPT -> OSCP
  • saragurusaraguru Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratz on the pass materwelon!! :):)
  • p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hey, congrats! That's great to hear. :) Thanks for sharing your XP.
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats materwelon! I'm not sure you're aware about it but eLearnSecurity tweeted about your review https://twitter.com/eLearnSecurity/status/875076665902321666 :D
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • dstock7337dstock7337 Member Posts: 95 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!

Already started the PTS course and I'm impressed. The value of the training is well worth the cost. I'm looking to go eJPT -> eCPPT -> OSCP.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." - Socrates
  • materwelonmaterwelon Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone!
    Congrats materwelon! I'm not sure you're aware about it but eLearnSecurity tweeted about your review https://twitter.com/eLearnSecurity/status/875076665902321666 :D

Lol that's awesome
    dstock7337 wrote: »
    Congrats on the pass!

Already started the PTS course and I'm impressed. The value of the training is well worth the cost. I'm looking to go eJPT -> eCPPT -> OSCP.

Nice man, I'm on a similar path