Cisco or Linux

EJMADELINEEJMADELINE Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
This may be a bit of a different topic for a thread, but I figured I'd get solid advice. Currently, I have my CISSP, CISM, SSCP, and Security +. I'm currently in an IA engineer role and consider myself to have decent knowledge on multiple platforms. However, I feel as an information security guy I should have one area that is my specialty outside of compliance and governance. So, I'm torn. I enjoy networking and the challenge that comes along with the field. However, I love working with Linux systems. In your opinion, which one offers further career growth? Any input is appreciated!

Comments

• boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wouldn't Linux compliment a security career IE the ability to work with Kali(using Python)?

Also why do you have to choose why can't you learn both Linux and Cisco?
    Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.
  • EJMADELINEEJMADELINE Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Wouldn't Linux compliment a security career IE the ability to work with Kali(using Python)?

Also why do you have to choose why can't you learn both Linux and Cisco?

It would, if I were on that side of the security spectrum. I for sure want to widen my skill set with both. However, I'm trying to determine where I want to focus certification efforts first.
  • gkcagkca Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would say that it depends on what technology you use at work (and probably at home too), so if you're not touching any Cisco gear at work then what's the point trying to learn Cisco specific stuff? Anyways you won't retain the knowledge if you don't use it.
    On the other hand general networking concepts are equally applicable to any system, be it Linux or IOS or anything else.
    "I needed a password with eight characters so I picked Snow White and the Seven Dwarves." (c) Nick Helm
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    gkca wrote: »
    Anyways you won't retain the knowledge if you don't use it.

This x100

Learn something you might actually use. Learning network concepts are great and useful pretty much anywhere. But Cisco certs focus alot on how their systems work and how to setup and configure things on them.

Think of things you want to learn and then ask yourself: Will learning X help me at my current job or a near future job?

If the answer is no, pick something else.
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I wouldn't go beyond CCNA unless you get to log into Cisco gear on a regular basis. Too much of an uphill learning journey beyond that. Linux, on the other hand, is much more accessible.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'd go Linux. If you enjoy using it, and if you have more access to it (home and professional), go for it. Easier to study for, more exposure to it, possibly more relevant to your current position.

Cisco is great, and the CCNA knowledge goes a long way, even without Cisco specific stuff. But, I'd just go for what you use more and have more exposure to.
  • snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I recommend CCNA first. CCNA level of knowledge for anyone is great. After that you can get more into Linux as times goes on.
  • EJMADELINEEJMADELINE Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I should have mentioned, a CCNA is probably the farthest I would go. Perhaps CCNA Security. Cisco is by far the popular choice of equipment where I work. I think the networking knowledge would server me better. I'm thinking CCNA right after I do the CRISC.