How long does it take to become a Cisco Network Architect? From newbie to hero?

Okay so I want to set the bar high for myself. So I am setting a goal to become Cisco Network Architect one day (it could be 10-15 years later i don't really know). How long does it take to get there? How can I come from zero to become hero. I am 37 years old right now. I am attending WGU for BS in information technology. Right now I'm have my comptia A+, Net+, Sec+ certifications. How long does it take to become a Cisco Architect? Thanks!

Comments

• NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    8 years 4 months and 21 days.
  • faintingheartfaintingheart Member Posts: 256
    Really? I'm going to start grinding today! I will be network architect by 45.5 years old by your estimation. :D
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I think what NetworkNewb was trying to convey is there is no timeline. It just varies. Some people move up the chain fast some don't. You could find someone willing to give you the title of Architect at any time.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't know if I'd set a Cisco-specific certification goal like that before actually getting a taste of Cisco certification.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • ccie14023ccie14023 Member Posts: 183
    I was pretty annoyed when Cisco released the CCAr. CCIE was always the top, so putting another certification above meant we all got a demotion. Many years later I don't feel the same, because nobody gets the CCAr. I mean, I work at Cisco, I've been in this industry a while, I'm a CCIE, and I've never met one. So, be my guest, work towards CCAr. If you're lucky, it'll still be available when you get around to taking it.
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I remember the 90's. Take a 3 month class, get the CCNA, make $180K a year! It'll only cost your $8K for the class! Sign up now! :)

It depends. For some, they never make it to the expert level. For others, they can hit that before they are 25 (those are called overachievers). Of course, some 'experts' barely know their ass from a hole in the wall. Other 'associate' level folks know more about their craft than many with several decades of 'expert' experience. It all depends on the person, their want/desire for certs or to learn more, etc.. A lot of variables.

If you want it, go for it. Set small goals. CCNA. Then, try for a specialization (Security, Voice, etc.). Then, go for CCNP after a couple years experience. After a few more years of really grinding, go for the CCIE level stuff. By then, you should know your ****. Not Master Yoda level stuff, but enough to be considered part of the council....
  • mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I remember reading somewhere that there are only ~15 of those in the whole world - by the time you reach IE-level, it might not be the preferred path (doesn't sound like it ever was, except for a few individuals.)
    For something like the CCDA, people tend to be at the IE level already. For the CCIE R/S, the majority of folks do at least a CCNA first. Not only will you get the academic introduction, you will have a very well known credential for getting into the networking field.
    To answer the question "How long does it take to get there" - it really depends on the person, how disciplined they are, their background and work situation. Um, years?
  • hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What is a Cisco Network Architect? Someone who works as a consultant and strictly designs networks but does not implement them? Or someone who is the lead network person where they work who designs and implements new solutions? If it's the former, it's years and years of work. You probably would need the CCIE or CCDE, tons of experience, and can work quickly. If it's the latter, it's not nearly as long. I am the only network engineer at a company of 2500 and do it all, and I've only been in IT for 3.5 years and networking for a little over 2 years. I don't know everything, some things take me a long time and lots of research and mistakes - something a consultant probably does not have the luxury of.
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Unfortunately an extremely opened-ended question with no defined answer. Everybody is different.

For me this is my planned track to becoming an architect/ish level.

1.) I started in a very large enterprise NOC environment. I worked my way through the ranks of network support in that realm (however was very silo'd and focused on just core networking issues). However the environment was very high tech and demanding. Giant network. I did this for 5 years.

2.) I just moved to a company utilizing a "tiny" network in terms of my previous experience and not nearly as high tech. However here I am gaining exposure to all elements of enterprise networking. Here I am responsible for building rather than maintaining. I am involved in many projects involving core networking, network monitoring, physical aspects of network (equipment installs, etc), voice, video, security. My plan here is to get a taste of it all all while obtaining my CCIE in the process.

3.) Next move into either a consulting role or some kind of high tech role like working for one of the big tech companies in my area (Facebook's new DC is literally 1.5miles from my house). So at this point I would rather take what comes first. Honestly I think I would enjoy consulting more.

4.) Lastly settle into an architect style SME role for a large company or be that for a larger consulting or big tech company. This position would be my retiring position (I think for now).

So becoming a "network architect" for me is MANY years down the road. I am only in step 2. I am 32 years old and plan to do this stuff until I retire. So I have 30+ more years to go.

As mentioned it really depends on the individual among MANY other elements to really know how long / what it will take to become the top dog guru.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    It took me about 8 years to get to the architect level. I'll point out some tips.

1. Get to a senior engineer level as quickly as you can. This means working at a VAR, or contracting where new projects are always going on. Being in a static environment won't expose you to the different technologies and ways to solve problems.

2. Learn how to speak and write. To me the difference between a Senior Network Engineer and a Architect are business skills. Business requires more soft skills than tech. So learning to hear what the business goals are, your teams technical capability, budget and a few other things and unify those into 1 voice is a MUST have.

3. Learn your tech (Route/switch, voice, security, DC) at a VERY DEEP level. Where you understand all your protocols what they do, what they provide and how they solve problems. Once you do this you will find that when you work on another skills they aren't much harder to pick up.

4. Be open minded as an architect you are required to represent the business not the tech/vendor. I've been in several situations where the Cisco solutions wasn't the best one, but since I'm an architect I'm expected to provide a non biased evaluation of the products.

5. Keep a network of smart people. At this point I'm limited with how much new tech I can learn. I'm pretty deep in Voice, and writing code, and route/switch. When I need other tech implemented I know how to reach out to find experts in other areas and convincing my employers that we need vendor x to do y cause it will save us X dollars vs me learning it and doing it myself.

I hoped this helped.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
    shodown wrote: »
    It took me about 8 years to get to the architect level.

Did everyone think I was guessing with that first response? icon_scratch.gif
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    shodown wrote: »
    It took me about 8 years to get to the architect level. I'll point out some tips.

1. Get to a senior engineer level as quickly as you can. This means working at a VAR, or contracting where new projects are always going on. Being in a static environment won't expose you to the different technologies and ways to solve problems.

2. Learn how to speak and write. To me the difference between a Senior Network Engineer and a Architect are business skills. Business requires more soft skills than tech. So learning to hear what the business goals are, your teams technical capability, budget and a few other things and unify those into 1 voice is a MUST have.

3. Learn your tech (Route/switch, voice, security, DC) at a VERY DEEP level. Where you understand all your protocols what they do, what they provide and how they solve problems. Once you do this you will find that when you work on another skills they aren't much harder to pick up.

4. Be open minded as an architect you are required to represent the business not the tech/vendor. I've been in several situations where the Cisco solutions wasn't the best one, but since I'm an architect I'm expected to provide a non biased evaluation of the products.

5. Keep a network of smart people. At this point I'm limited with how much new tech I can learn. I'm pretty deep in Voice, and writing code, and route/switch. When I need other tech implemented I know how to reach out to find experts in other areas and convincing my employers that we need vendor x to do y cause it will save us X dollars vs me learning it and doing it myself.

I hoped this helped.

I couldn't agree with this more. I agree with the don't be in a static environment heavily!!! It's easy to get comfortable but once you are comfortable you will tend to not challenge yourself often enough. For example: I keep thinking about the environment I am in now. It's very much less high tech compared to my previous job but exposes me to a ton of extra stuff that is expected knowledge of an architect which I didn't get experience in my previous job. However due to the simpler environment I know I will reach a plateau faster here than I did at my last job. Once I feel that I will be looking to move on to my step 3.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
    Can I become a Network Architect with CCIE level certs? Or do I really have to get the CCAr certifcation to become an architect?
  • KrekenKreken Member Posts: 284
    Can I become a Network Architect with CCIE level certs? Or do I really have to get the CCAr certifcation to become an architect?

You can become an architect without any certifications. A certificate provides an easier way to judge somebody's knowledge level but in no way it is necessary.
    What is the typical salary for a Cisco Network Architect? I'm hoping that i can achieve 160-200k one day.
  • blatiniblatini Member Posts: 285
    What is the typical salary for a Cisco Network Architect? I'm hoping that i can achieve 160-200k one day.

Depends where you are. In Cali you can get around 5 cows, 5 horses, and 20 chickens monthly.
    If you doing what you love and make that much that is great. Otherwise I wouldn't focus on salary. Just my opinion.

Here Is The Income Level At Which Money Won't Make You Any Happier In Each State | HuffPost
    Thanks for the article NetworkNewb. I see 75000 dollars would be the sweet spot for happiness. That mean a CCNA perosn with a salary of 75k would be happy enough.
  • ccie14023ccie14023 Member Posts: 183
    blatini wrote: »
    Depends where you are. In Cali you can get around 5 cows, 5 horses, and 20 chickens monthly.

By "Cali" do you mean Cali-fornia? If so, dang, I'm underpaid!
  • blatiniblatini Member Posts: 285
    ccie14023 wrote: »
    By "Cali" do you mean Cali-fornia? If so, dang, I'm underpaid!

Guess it's time to head out Californee way.... and see what you can find
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□

Maybe not in Oregon. icon_lol.gif
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP