Slow SBS Server

dfrancdfranc Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have noticed that our 2011 SBS server which is a Hyper-V server has become very slow. One of our IT Admin said he changed the DNS IP address`s. But we don't have the old setup written down. (My Bad) So I changed the DNS ip addresses back but now receive an error.

The IP Address xxx.xxx.xx.xx you have entered for this network adapter is already assigned to another adapter (Microsoft Hyper-V Adapter) Which is no longer present in the computer. If the same address is assigned to both adapters and the both become active, only one of them will use this address. This may result in incorrect system configuration.

Do you want to remove the static IP configuration for the absent adapter?

Not seen this error message before. All I did was to put the same IP address in the Preferred DNS box and 8.8.8.8 for the Secondary DNS box. I have also tried 127.0.0.1 for the Preferred DNS box but I get the same error.

Comments

• snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Are changing the IP on the SBS server or the hyper-v side? If this is on SBS I recommend running one of the wizards from within the SBS console. I've ran into issues not running the stupid "Connect to the internet" wizard through SBS.
  • netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    First off do not EVER put external DNS servers in the network adapter configuration, it is a great way to cause problems on your network. External DNS should only be used for external DNS look ups through the DNS server forward look ups unless you are using root hints. The adapter IP should be the first DNS and loopback second, again do not use external non AD DNS servers in any network adapter settings for your domain computers.

Now that that is out of the way, is the SBS 2011 server virtualized on a hyper-v host or is it running Hyper-v? Hopefully it is a VM on the host as running Hyper-V on the same box as any Active Directory, DNS or DHCP roles is not a Microsoft supported configuration and known to cause performance issues.

As for the network adapter, show hidden devices in device manager and remove the missing adapter.
  • snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    netsysllc wrote: »
    First off do not EVER put external DNS servers in the network adapter configuration, it is a great way to cause problems on your network. External DNS should only be used for external DNS look ups through the DNS server forward look ups unless you are using root hints. The adapter IP should be the first DNS and loopback second, again do not use external non AD DNS servers in any network adapter settings for your domain computers.

Now that that is out of the way, is the SBS 2011 server virtualized on a hyper-v host or is it running Hyper-v? Hopefully it is a VM on the host as running Hyper-V on the same box as any Active Directory, DNS or DHCP roles is not a Microsoft supported configuration and known to cause performance issues.

As for the network adapter, show hidden devices in device manager and remove the missing adapter.

+1 To this. I forgot to mention that. Never use external DNS within a domain environment. Bound to cause issues.