Options

Need to repair an iBook G3 "Clamshell"

bjpeterbjpeter Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
I bought an old iBook G3 "Clamshell" from eBay this year. It looks great, and everything works fine, except the power supply inside the laptop no longer charges the battery, so the iBook cannot turn on at all if it is not plugged in to a wall outlet.

Does anyone know where I can send my iBook in to get the power supply repaired?
2021 Goals (2): SSCP, eCPPT
Achieved (27): Certified Associate in Python Programming, Microsoft Certified: Azure Fundamentals, PenTest+, Project+, CySA+, Flutter Certified Application Developer, OCP Java EE 7 Application Developer, CCSP, OCP Java SE 11 Developer, CISSP, Linux+/LPIC-1, CCSKv4, OCE Java EE 6 JPA Developer, CSSLP, Server+, Cloud+, Arcitura Certified Cloud Professional, CASP+, Mobility+, Storage+, Android Certified Application Developer, OCP Java SE 8 Programmer, Security+, OCM Java SE 6 Developer, B.S. and M.S. in Computer Science

Comments

• Options
    rob42rob42 Member Posts: 423
    I'd of thought that it's more likely to be a battery issue, given that the PSU powers the device okay. Just M.H.O...
    No longer an active member
  • Options
    PhalanxPhalanx Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Client & Security: Microsoft 365 Modern Desktop Administrator Associate | MCSE: Mobility
    Server & Networking: MCSA: Windows Server 2016 | MTA: Networking Fundamentals
    Data Privacy & Project/Service Management: PECB GDPR DPO/Practitioner | ITIL 2011: Foundation | CompTIA Project+
    Currently Studying: Microsoft 365 Enterprise Administrator Expert
  • Options
    bjpeterbjpeter Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    rob42 wrote: »
    I'd of thought that it's more likely to be a battery issue, given that the PSU powers the device okay. Just M.H.O...

I replaced the battery with a new one, but it still won't run unless it's plugged in.
    2021 Goals (2): SSCP, eCPPT
    Achieved (27): Certified Associate in Python Programming, Microsoft Certified: Azure Fundamentals, PenTest+, Project+, CySA+, Flutter Certified Application Developer, OCP Java EE 7 Application Developer, CCSP, OCP Java SE 11 Developer, CISSP, Linux+/LPIC-1, CCSKv4, OCE Java EE 6 JPA Developer, CSSLP, Server+, Cloud+, Arcitura Certified Cloud Professional, CASP+, Mobility+, Storage+, Android Certified Application Developer, OCP Java SE 8 Programmer, Security+, OCM Java SE 6 Developer, B.S. and M.S. in Computer Science
  • Options
    rob42rob42 Member Posts: 423
    bjpeter wrote: »
    I replaced the battery with a new one, but it still won't run unless it's plugged in.
    Aw, that info was not included in your post, but fair enough...

So, either your PSU is faulty, in so much as it's not supplying the amps required to charge the battery or there's some internal fault that's preventing the current from getting to the battery. I don't think it's a faulty PSU (but I could be wrong) because charging the battery takes less current than powering the computer.

If you can, make sure that the terminal connections between the battery and the computer are 'clean': IPA is a good cleaning agent. Any tarnishing will create a resistive barrier, preventing the current reaching the battery. It could be that the terminals are damaged in some way. A close inspection is in order.

After thought...

What about the connections between the battery terminals and the circuit board? To inspect that, you'll need to take the thing apart (how brave do you feel!). A 'dry' or broken solder could very well be the issue.
    No longer an active member
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    From memory, I think this is the DC:DC board. It's a fairly cheap component... if you can find it.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM