ITIL-SO Materials...what is recommended to begin training?

Yoshii CaponeYoshii Capone Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone...I believe I am moving forward with the ITIL-SO path as my next step after Foundations...I have an Operations background, and hope that will help!
I was curious...what is the official book/training that goes with the learning and certifying for SO?
Also, what are other recommended materials that would help as well?

Comments

• Claire AgutterClaire Agutter Member Posts: 772 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hi Yoshii

To take the ITIL SO exam you need to study an accredited course, which can be online, virtual classroom or classroom. You can find a list of providers on the AXELOS website. Your training provider should give you everything you need, but you can also do some additional reading in the ITIL SO manual or try this book by respected authors Helen Morris and Liz Gallacher: Wiley: ITIL Intermediate Certification Companion Study Guide: Intermediate ITIL Service Lifecycle Exams - Helen Morris, Liz Gallacher

Good luck!

Claire
  • UncleBUncleB Member Posts: 417
    I would echo what Claire has said - you can't even book the exam without submitting a certificate of successfully completing your training course. These can be very pricey if you go down the classroom route, but they probably do a better job of preparing you for the exam than the rather dry official books,

The official book is expensive but invaluable:
    https://www.amazon.com/ITIL-Service-Operation-Management-Practices/dp/0113313071/

There are often electronic copies of the whole suite for sale on eBay, but these are probably pirated and still expensive. With the exam fees you are going to need to set aside a sizeable budget to get the exam.

Don't let it put you off, rather understand what is ahead so it doesn't catch you unawares.

Good luck.
  • Yoshii CaponeYoshii Capone Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've looked into a local accredited company and yes they are abit pricey even for web based training (~2k)...my high level search notes prices similar to that so YES, it is an investment (but hey, if one does not invest in oneself no one else will right?)...are there any recommended web based accredited trainers out there you would recommend?
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    I've looked into a local accredited company and yes they are abit pricey even for web based training (~2k)...my high level search notes prices similar to that so YES, it is an investment (but hey, if one does not invest in oneself no one else will right?)...are there any recommended web based accredited trainers out there you would recommend?

Is your goal for training just to satisfy the requirement to sit the exam, or do you want to use it to learn?

If it's the first, then you just want the cheapest price. These guys have an accredited online course with 30 days access for 75USD. It's only ~7 hours, but does include some exercises and materials. Typically a live classroom course will be closer to 500-1000/day and run 3-4 days.

Normally, they recommend that you read the material (the SO guide) before the course, so you wouldn't expect a course to be sufficient in itself to pass the exam. However, there is likely to be a difference between a 4 day live classroom, and 7 hours' worth of online videos.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
    I agree with OctalDump - the online course here is suitable to get an overview of the material and you get the exact same sample exams as any other training provider can supply, but the dry, plodding official book is really the best source of knowledge you will find.

I used GoGo Training, primarily so I had the proof of completing the course (which you need to be allowed to book the exam) but all my focus was on the books.

If you can do it this way then you can really do it on the cheap ($75 for the course and I think $300 for the exam).
    Well, the ultimate goal is to pass the exam and become certified :)
    However, I do want to make sure any and all material I use is "legit" and I can continue to reference it throughout my ITSM career.
    Does the $75 training from Gogo actually give a good working understanding (I know it wont be a deep knowledge) that is both accredited and can be dual honed with the official book so I can consider taking the exam?
    The GoGo Training course is adequate to give you the principles and a lot of the facts, but there is a lot more depth you need to understand to be effective in the exam in my opinion, so you can run through the video chapter then the book chapter to reinforce/deepen it as I did - I scored 87% so it wasn't such a bad source of the info.
    Much appreciate the feedback everyone!!
  • genxfinalrevisiongenxfinalrevision Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I also used the training outfit mentioned about and it is indeed legit. Because Service Operations is my strongest area, I would have been able to pass the exam based on the 7 hours of video. In much the same breath, I scored 40/40 and 38/40 (OSA and SO), and I would not have done that without reading the Service Operations Guidance...I also picked up the Key Elements Guide for OSA and read that over in the days before the exam.
    Great info, Genx...much appreciated!
  • ItsmHarunItsmHarun Member Posts: 178
    very nice , thanks for sharing valuable information it is to useful icon_thumright.gif
  • Liz GallacherLiz Gallacher Member Posts: 107
    The Gogo training is fine. Another excellent online course is through ITSM Zone, which is run by Claire Agutter on this forum (but she would not want to push her own company on this forum). Take a look at both.
    Thanks Liz...appreciate that bit as well!!!