Options

Establishing SSH on Cisco Devices?

UsualSuspect7UsualSuspect7 Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
Why do we have to use the ip domain-name command to establish SSH on a Cisco device? I'm thinking it already has an IP address why must we use a domain name? what if we don't have a domain name to use?

Thank You,
CISSP, CCENT, CCNA R/S, CCNA Cyber OPs, Security+, CySA+, PenTest+, Network+, Microsoft AZ-900, InsightVM CA

Comments

• Options
    pujan96pujan96 Member Posts: 121 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I believe its required to generate the crypto Key for the device
    [X] CCNA R&S

[X] CCNP Route 300-101
    [  ] CCNP Switch 300-115
    [  ] CCNP T-Shoot 300-135

[  ]  NPDESI 300-550

[  ] CCIE R&S Written
    [  ] CCIE R&S LAB
  • Options
    robo78robo78 Member Posts: 37 ■■■□□□□□□□
    why must we use a domain name?
    as mentioned, it's a requirement. Before a device can use secure channel, it's need to have some secret material generated from these domain name and also hostname.
    what if we don't have a domain name to use?
    well, you must choose one. Otherwise you can't enable ssh.
    Working on: Linux+
  • Options
    CryptoQueCryptoQue Member Posts: 204 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The RSA key name consists of a hostname and a domain name. Since SSH depends on RSA key in order to function, a domain name must be established prior to generating a RSA key and enabling SSH. You can make up a simple Cisco IOS domain like "ip domain name passccna.UsualSuspect7.com"
  • Options
    UsualSuspect7UsualSuspect7 Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Awesome! Thank You all so much I understood it was needed, but I just was curious as to why exactly. Thank You.
    CISSP, CCENT, CCNA R/S, CCNA Cyber OPs, Security+, CySA+, PenTest+, Network+, Microsoft AZ-900, InsightVM CA
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    CryptoQue wrote: »
    The RSA key name consists of a hostname and a domain name. Since SSH depends on RSA key in order to function, a domain name must be established prior to generating a RSA key and enabling SSH. You can make up a simple Cisco IOS domain like "ip domain name passccna.UsualSuspect7.com"

Your username is very appropriate for clearing this up. thanks
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    CryptoQueCryptoQue Member Posts: 204 ■■■□□□□□□□