Resume Assistance

TexasITguyTexasITguy Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am trying to land my first Job in IT and need some help. I have a background in criminal justice, so this is a complete career change for me. I am having trouble with a good professional summary that shows I have a passion for IT, but all my experience is personal knowledge. I have been troubleshooting and building computers since childhood. I am not sure If I can put that on my resume. Any help would be appreciated. Here is my resume so far minus the Summary.

Summary

Technical Skills

• Operating systems- Windows XP, Vista, 7, 10; Android, IOS
  • Hardware- PC repairs, troubleshooting, peripherals, installations
  • Networking- Installing and configuring routers; installing unmanaged network switches; setting up new internet connections in windows.
  • Certifications- CompTIA A+

Experience

Intervention Nov 2014-Oct 2016
Case Manager

• Managed a case load of clients sentenced to probation, home detention, and alcohol monitors.
  • Visited with clients weekly to ensure their compliance with court orders and company policies.
  • Wrote reports and corresponded via email to the courts when clients were out of compliance.
  • Corresponded daily with clients over the phone to address schedule changes, technical issues, and compliance problems.
  • Preformed diagnostics and troubleshooting of equipment, repaired and documented findings when issues were found.
Montgomery County Sheriff’s Department Mar 2012-Oct 2014
Detention Officer

• Searched and processed incoming males after they were arrested.
  • Used specialized software to enter personal information into a county database.
  • Enforced departmental rules and regulations to assure the safety of those persons in custody.
  • Investigated critical incidents and gathered appropriate evidence.
  • Upon completion of investigations, provided a detailed report for the command staff and courts.

Harris County Sheriff’s Department Oct 2008-Mar 2012
Detention Officer

• Lead a team of five deputies to conduct safety and contraband searches.
  • Assisted the public with complaints and concerns and helped come to a resolution that worked for both sides.
  • Assured that safety regulations and citizens’ rights were in compliance with state regulations.
  • Provided training for new officers in report writing, operating procedures, and officer safety.

Education

Texas State University Aug 2008
Bachelors of Science in Criminal Justice

Comments

• bjpeterbjpeter Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I see that you have the A+ certification from CompTIA. I suggest getting more from CompTIA (perhaps Network+ or, even better, Security+). It will show employers that you are passionate about IT.
    2021 Goals (2): SSCP, eCPPT
    Achieved (27): Certified Associate in Python Programming, Microsoft Certified: Azure Fundamentals, PenTest+, Project+, CySA+, Flutter Certified Application Developer, OCP Java EE 7 Application Developer, CCSP, OCP Java SE 11 Developer, CISSP, Linux+/LPIC-1, CCSKv4, OCE Java EE 6 JPA Developer, CSSLP, Server+, Cloud+, Arcitura Certified Cloud Professional, CASP+, Mobility+, Storage+, Android Certified Application Developer, OCP Java SE 8 Programmer, Security+, OCM Java SE 6 Developer, B.S. and M.S. in Computer Science
  • 636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    "passion for IT, but all my experience is personal knowledge. I have been troubleshooting and building computers since childhood" is a perfect intro for a cover letter. if you want to throw it in the resume, do something like "Twenty years assembling computers and troubleshooting issues for dozens of friends and family members."
  • Welly_59Welly_59 Member Posts: 431
    When I transitioned into IT from retail I made a skills based resume - listing suitable skills arc and stayed away from listing my previous work history. Just an idea
  • TexasITguyTexasITguy Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am currently studying for Net+ and hope to take it next month. Thank you for the advice.
  • Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300
    I'd put your A+ under Education and move that section above Work Experience which is your weakest area due to lack of formal IT experience. I'd also make sure you have a cover letter explaining your passion for IT, reasoning for switching career fields, etc.
  • volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Personally,
    i would completely SCARP that resume.
    All i see is L.E.O.

I wouldn't give you a job touching my stuff.
    lol

My advice: Go enroll at a Community College for your Associates.
    If you are "serious" about making a change; then "be" about it.
    Don't quit your day job (just yet); but definitely start taking classes.

Other possible options:
    Go get a part-time job somewhere; Geek-squad, Staples, etc.
    Or, go volunteer somewhere that needs computer help.
    Maybe find a part-time/NIGHT job working on a helpdesk.
    Do EVERY/ANYTHING you can to begin building actual COMPUTER experience (for your new resume).

Hell, go find the "IT support guy" at your current job. Get advice from him/her.
    Ask if you can shadow/tag-along on your off-time (if your schedule allows).
    Or, Offer to PAY him/her to TEACH you more about computers (in your off-time).

MAKE IT HAPPEN.

Oh, continue pursuing your Network+. it is a good plan :]
    Well I don't see how I could completely scrap it without making up experienceicon_sad.gif. I am currently unemployed due to relocating from Colorado. I am searching even for a part time job, but I can not even find that. Houston has a decent tech industry, so I know jobs are out there. Staffing agencies have been worthless.

I have a few friends that have gotten into the IT field with no professional, and less personal experience than me. I know it is not easy, but it can be done.

I also already have a degree (Bachelors), so I don't think getting another associates would be beneficial enough.

I am looking for a volunteer position with a few churches and libraries. However, I need a job that can keep me afloat asap.

Thanks for the advice.
  • volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Oh i see... bummer.

Well,
    Not having a job/savings/time can Definitely makes it harder to "transition" into a new career.

If your primary focus is $$$, then go get some parttime jobs doing whatever:
    waiting tables, stocking shelves, fastfood, security guard, whatever.

Get yourself stabilized somewhat, but keep applying for entry-level helpdesks, etc.
    TexasITguy wrote: »
    I also already have a degree (Bachelors), so I don't think getting another associates would be beneficial enough.
    i hate to burst your bubble; but you are 100% Wrong on that one.
    Your Criminal Science degree is about as useful as a Degree in.... Psychology.

It's great that you have one... but what does it have to do with IT?

If you are trying to make a career change into IT... i don't see you getting very far with that mindset.

I'd hire someone with "passion" and an "Associates in IT",
    before i'd hire "passion" with an "unrelated BAchelors degree".

CERTS matter.
    EXPERIENCE matters.
    An Associates... helps.
    Your Bachelors in BLAHBLAH... Not So Much.

just my opinion; maybe others will say otherwise.

IT is a field where you must continuously Learn new things; Be Warned.

Fwiw,
    i work with a guy who Also has a Criminal Justice degree. He was the K9 guy; dog, suspicious packages... you get the picture.

He Quit, and went got a entry job at a helpdesk. Taking phone calls, Resetting passwords, creating tickets, etc.
    Over the next 3 years, he worked his butt off; study & learning mostly on his own time.
    He passed the Security+.

3 months ago, he finally made it over to our SOC; so maybe his Degree did help indirectly :]
  • kbohlken253kbohlken253 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■■□□□□□□□□
    TexasITguy,

This will be solid gold for you my friend.

I recently moved to Houston from Minneapolis back in September of 2016. I was able to find a job pretty quick because I had 3 years of experience.

I was once in your position. I have an BS in Engineering and after that career failed me I went into IT. How? Workforce Investment Act (WIA) It'll literally pay for you to go to school because you are unemployed and are looking to go into a high demand career area.

Workforce Investment Act

In Minnesota, I enrolled into a 9-month program that helped me out. WIA paid for the whole thing! During this time I got my A+ and then shortly after the program I got my Network+. Look at that site. It shows several program providers that are waiting to take the government's money. Find a program, find that school, talk to the school about WIA, and as long as the person is not a complete airhead, they will be able to get you enrolled through the WIA!

Your Welcome
  • heartgoldheartgold Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Why even mentioning your Education as you already have experience?
    heartgold wrote: »
    Why even mentioning your Education as you already have experience?

I'm sorry, what do you mean by that?