Options

What is most current version of ITIL certifications?

Yoshii CaponeYoshii Capone Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
As the subject line says...reason for my question is that I am wanting/needing to move forward with my next level of study and exam attempt (SO is where I am heading, first)...but my confusion lies in the version. My CIO has offered to lend me his set (he says he paid almost $600 for set of 5 books) but his SO books simply says ITIL-Service Operations with an OGC (Office of Government Commerce) tag...when I look at the GOGO SO video series, it states ITIL 2011 on it.

What is the latest & greatest I should be using as my study guide?

Comments

• Options
    PhalanxPhalanx Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you have never done ITIL before, you should start with ITIL Foundation. Not sure what level you were on, it wasn't clear in the post.

However, the latest version is ITIL v3 2011, more commonly abbreviated to ITIL 2011.

More Information: https://www.axelos.com/certifications/itil-certifications
    Client & Security: Microsoft 365 Modern Desktop Administrator Associate | MCSE: Mobility
    Server & Networking: MCSA: Windows Server 2016 | MTA: Networking Fundamentals
    Data Privacy & Project/Service Management: PECB GDPR DPO/Practitioner | ITIL 2011: Foundation | CompTIA Project+
    Currently Studying: Microsoft 365 Enterprise Administrator Expert
  • Options
    Thanks Phalanx, much appreciate the information!
    I have the foundations and have been waffling over the next level...I am the Operation Manager at my job so SO/OSA makes sense for me but I was considering the Practitioner then CSI route...I've decided to stick to SO and/or OSA for now but I needed to make sure I was using the right study materials before investing in an online course to round me out for the test and acceptance.

Be happy to hear your thoughts, if you would like to share anything
  • Options
    PhalanxPhalanx Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well, what you're looking for is a set of the exams that adds to 17 points eventually so you can progress to Expert.

ITIL Foundation is 2 points right off the bat, and Practitioner is good for 3 points. I would consider those two to be core items.

After that it's down to what you do. As an operations manager I would be suggesting doing CSI, SO and SS (3 points each) from the Lifecycle Modules, and Operational Support & Analysis (4 points) from the Capability Modules. Should set you up nicely for Expert. :)
    Client & Security: Microsoft 365 Modern Desktop Administrator Associate | MCSE: Mobility
    Server & Networking: MCSA: Windows Server 2016 | MTA: Networking Fundamentals
    Data Privacy & Project/Service Management: PECB GDPR DPO/Practitioner | ITIL 2011: Foundation | CompTIA Project+
    Currently Studying: Microsoft 365 Enterprise Administrator Expert
  • Options
    ItsmHarunItsmHarun Member Posts: 178
    if you are planning to take ITIL® Certification Exams, you must base your studies on the latest version – the ITIL® v3 2011 syllabus. However, many reference materials (including courses and exam prep books) still refer the exam as “ITIL® v3 Foundation”. You may need to check whether the exam prep book and the courses have been updated in 2011 to reflect the latest changes in the ITIL® knowledge so that you can be fully prepared for the current ITIL® Foundation Exam
  • Options
    Liz GallacherLiz Gallacher Member Posts: 107
    Phalanx wrote: »

However, the latest version is ITIL v3 2011, more commonly abbreviated to ITIL 2011.

This is incorrect. The term V3 should not be used at all (although some people still use it). The current version is ITIL 2011
  • Options
    Thanks everyone, much appreciate the feedback!