Failed RHCSA for the 3rd time

Scored 116 out of 300.

I couldn't get a config to go and therefore couldn't answer 4 questions, because it was dependent on that config.

I thought the Linux Academy content would prepare me for the exam, however it isn't working.

At this time, I really don't know what to do...
***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
-unknown

Comments

• NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    4th times a charm right? icon_mrgreen.gif

But really, aren't you able to figure out why you couldn't get a config to go now? Should have a pretty good idea of what the test covers after 3 attempts.
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    How are you studying for the exam?
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    But really, aren't you able to figure out why you couldn't get a config to go now? Should have a pretty good idea of what the test covers after 3 attempts.

You gotta admit many people don't come back here to admit their failures. Most certainly not this thread as I frequent this one almost daily. I have the utmost respect for people who can honestly admit their mistakes/flaws instead of deflecting.

Beside I believe @JockVSJock took the first exam in the old version based on RHEL6. So I really consider this his second failure.

Jock, I'm still prepping for my RHCE in a long haul, and I'm slowly getting to the end as I'm a quarter done with the progress. Maybe I can help you study for the RHCSA as I passed the first time without work experience. Haven't touched a production server up to this day. So don't get discouraged. You're either probably overthinking it or underestimating the challenge of the exam, and we can help you get you back on the right track.
  • JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    How are you studying for the exam?

Linux Academy is my main source for studying and labbing...

I have also created a question sheet made up of questions from Cert Depot and have another question scenarios that I made up myself of areas that I wanted to work on.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
    Do you have a copy of Michael Jang's 7th edition? I find his chapter exercises, lab exercises, and two RHCSA sample exams very helpful.
    Do you have a copy of Michael Jang's 7th edition? I find his chapter exercises, lab exercises, and two RHCSA sample exams very helpful.

I have Asghar Ghori's RHCSA & RHCA RHEL7 March 2015 edition.

-unknown
    I never read or used Asghar Ghordi, but personally I believe Sander van Vugt's book is even a better alternative as his book came out on September 2015, 5 months after Ghordi. RHEL 7.1 came out March 3, 2015, and a lot of things were still getting ironed out. It's likely Ghordi only tested RHEL 7.0.

You mentioned that you missed the other tasks that depended on the previous task. If you're pretty certain those tasks were the reasons why you failed, then I honestly think you have a solid chance of passing the exam the next time if you take it again very soon.

Although, don't focus on just the areas you missed. Treat your preparation like it's a woodcraft project you've been working on for months. Best way to be sure you are prepared for the exam is to review each item on the objectives. If you are unsure exactly what some of the objectives cover, then review CertDepot and Linux Academy resources for the appropriate commands addressing those objectives. It's your ultimate goal to arrive at the test center with no doubt that you can complete each objectives in a blindfold. For the difficult objectives, review the man pages 100 times before going to the test center. So you can quickly become familiar with what you are looking for in case you forget how to use a specific command. Looking up man pages too long is a time killer.

I can't emphasize this enough, but please do take note as you'll be thankful that you did. Translate the difficult subjects you are having trouble understanding or remembering into your own words. Document how you got the commands to work for you in your practice environment and reproduce those steps again to ensure you're getting consistent results. I have written over 50 pages of notes on Google Doc for my RHCSA, and the notes are still growing. When I forget what I did, I don't have to waste too much time relearning. Your notes should be clear so that you can understand it with very little trouble 5 years from today.
  • duta74duta74 Member Posts: 143 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My recipe to pass RHCSA:
    Buy Sander Van Vugt book:
    Red Hat RHCSA/RHCE 7 Cert Guide Premium Edition and Practice Tests | Pearson IT Certification
    with discount code: JULY4TH it will be cost 35.99$. With this Premium edition book you will receive:
    • 8 complete practice exams: 4 for RHCSA and 4 for RHCE in PDF format
    • Gain expertise and knowledge using the companion website, which contains more than 40 interactive exercises, 4 advanced CLI simulations, 40 interactive quizzes and glossary quizzes (one for each chapter), 3 virtual machines and more.
    You also get safaribooksonline 30 day trial. Activating it you will have access to all Sander video courses and webcasts.
    For RHCSA I'll recommend to view:

Red Hat Certified System Administrator (RHCSA) Final Exam Workshop
    https://www.safaribooksonline.com/library/view/red-hat-certified/9780134193281/

Red Hat RHCSA and RHCE Webcasts
    https://www.safaribooksonline.com/library/view/red-hat-rhcsa/9780134314754/

For some misunderstand topics:
    Red Hat Certified System Administrator (RHCSA) with Virtual Machines, Second Edition
    https://www.safaribooksonline.com/library/view/red-hat-certified/9780134723990/

If you will subscribe now, you will have access to Sander online session on July 10:
    Red Hat RHCSA Exam Tips and Test-Taking Strategies
    https://www.safaribooksonline.com/live-training/courses/red-hat-rhcsa-exam-tips-and-test-taking-strategies/0636920093015/

Good luck...
    I've actually been email Sander Van Vugt, asking questions about his material. He is responding quickly, which is impressive.

So, I'm looking at picking up the following:

- Complete Video Course, RHCSA with virtual machines
    - Cert Guide, Red Hat RHCSA7, Premium Edition

I still have Linux Academy subscription too, so I think this should be enough to get me over the hump.

-unknown
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think after failing it that many times, I would say seek official training from RedHat. Maybe look at a bootcamp from a training center like New Horizons if one is near you?