Non-technical Forensics

PrivacyPrivacy Banned Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Is there any non-technical forensic courses? One's that cover more the legal side?

Or any basic entry level ones? Such as the security+ of the forensic world?

Comments

• 636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'm not quite sure what you're asking. What are you trying to forensicate? Is this for general knowledge or an end goal?

Forensics by its nature is very nitty-gritty. The "101" - such as how hard drives generally work, for example - might be the A+ I guess. Anybody else?
  • PrivacyPrivacy Banned Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm not quite sure what you're asking. What are you trying to forensicate? Is this for general knowledge or an end goal?

Forensics by its nature is very nitty-gritty. The "101" - such as how hard drives generally work, for example - might be the A+ I guess. Anybody else?

More interested in the legal\lawyer side and thought be good to have an understanding of forensic for legal cases etc. but you would not need to have as much knowledge as the forensic guy themselves.
  • EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well, forensics is the art of preserving evidence so it can be admissible in court. So maybe police academy?
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Or law school. I also do not understand the question. As practitioners all we care is that forensic activities are conducted according to generally accepted principles. Every single forensics class out there covers this. The rest is for LEO/legal peeps to sort out.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I get what he's/she's looking for, wants the legal knowledge and not the technical stuff. Not really a whole lot of options out there because every State has different laws and standards. Honestly, if you aren't looking at a college program you would probably need to do some technical stuff. My Masters covers all the legal side of the house and none of the technical knowledge. Otherwise, any course you're going to take is only going to give you some of the legal basics and just about all technical.

Thus your options are graduate school (JD, Legal Studies), police academy (even this will only give you the legal side of all evidence and probably little to nothing on the law for digital evidence) or take the technical courses which will expose you to some of the legal standards. At most agencies it's the lawyers, with the help of the Detectives/Officers, who will write the procedures for handling digital evidence.

https://www.sans.org/event/sans-2016/course/law-data-security-investigations <---not forensics, but only course I know of that covers the legal side solely.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
    Thanks all, you mention police academy not heard of that before? Which are the films cover digital forensics?

Also out of all the forensic certs which would be considered entry level? The CHFI?
  • p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Privacy wrote: »
    ...you mention police academy not heard of that before? Which are the films cover digital forensics?

LoL Konstantine Konali?!
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    CHFI is not a forensics cert; it's a waste of time/money. SANS certs are the real forensics certs
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

UnixGuy wrote: »
    CHFI is not a forensics cert; it's a waste of time/money. SANS certs are the real forensics certs

What is wrong with CHFI? I was thinking of doing it so be good to know why I should avoid it before I spend any more on it.

Not a big fan of SANS courses overpriced, open book and the renewal's all put me off.