Failed my Second attempt 700

ReonBalistyReonBalisty Member Posts: 54 ■□□□□□□□□□
So I got a 700, which is 20 from the pass.

My first score was 672. Which the second attempt was a lot better.

I am a WGU student, and my 3rd attempt will be coming out of my pocket. Since I have already used uCertify, Labsim, and Skillsoft as testing materials. I have personally bought Pocketprep (Android app). Went through all of Mike Meyers Lynda Videos, and Finished all of the videos from Professor Messor.

I am asking does anyone have any methods to help. Especially in the mentioned areas?

Comments

• NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Since the Net+ gives you a breakdown on how well you performed in each area of the exam. I would focus on those areas your scores were lowest in.

Guessing those are the areas you posted about? Why not just re read those sections and go over what you don't fully understand?
  • ReonBalistyReonBalisty Member Posts: 54 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Which is/was my plan, but thinking there may be perhaps other resources I am not using that could be more help than what I have already absorbed.
  • mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Did you have a problem with not understanding the material or memorizing ports, abbreviations etc? I found flashcards to be helpful because there is a lot of material to memorize.
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

I actually typed out the flash cards on quizlet from the uCeritfy application that WGU has students go through. So I got the concepts that way, but I know I am missing something important, because those same zones from this failure (700) were close to those of my 672 on the first attempt. I am willing and able to get right on that horse again tonight. So hence why I came here for answers on other materials to look into as I may have missed something that other materials explain better or present better.
    But you are right, it is a lot of material to memorize, But being 20 points off with the same subject matter being missed, I am now going to be studying my behind off to get in for the next one, which is mandatory 14 days out from this attempt, so it puts me on the 27.
  • p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ...the next one, which is mandatory 14 days out from this attempt, so it puts me on the 27.

So... 7/27/17, sounds auspicious. Go get 'em.
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
    Well, just called CompTIA because their wording on the retake policy is just as wonky as their questions. So I inquired as to when I could take it, they stated 7/28/2017 would be the earliest, so I have to wait for 8/2/2017 because the nearest testing place that I go to is only in on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday. And they are closed on 8/1/2017.
  • boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Read instead of only watching videos.
    Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.
  • ThePawofRizzoThePawofRizzo Member Posts: 389 ■■■■□□□□□□
    So close. Whatever you do, just keep trying. I know it can be frustrating, but your score is close enough to indicate that your studying in the right direction. If you were failing by tons, it would indicate you were completely not preparing well, but your scores indicate you are on the right track.

Each person is so different in what works for studying, but maybe one of your methods needs a tweak for some of this subject matter. For me I read a couple books cover to cover, and highlight in one color on the first pass, then highlight those things that just aren't retaining in my brain on the second pass. For quick reference, I also usually dog ear the pages on a book where there are specific charts of data, or equations or tables (like a table or chart listing the network classes). Then I take any practice tests I can find, while reviewing those highlighted and dog eared pages from the second read through. Call me old school, but I like the book in hand where I can mark it up, and I haven't found table readers to be quite as handy in this regard for serious study. I'm not a video learner, because the lecture is hard for me to stay focused on for more than about 30 minutes.

Again, don't give up. You've got a lot of time and money invested, and you will beat this thing!!!
    Read instead of only watching videos.

I have been reading, just lacking specific areas. Been skimming Networking for Dummies (9 books in 1) which helped with the network as a whole model rather than its pieces. I am however staying on the course and going to not only be studying the materials I am "missing."
    So close. Whatever you do, just keep trying. I know it can be frustrating, but your score is close enough to indicate that your studying in the right direction. If you were failing by tons, it would indicate you were completely not preparing well, but your scores indicate you are on the right track.

Each person is so different in what works for studying, but maybe one of your methods needs a tweak for some of this subject matter. For me I read a couple books cover to cover, and highlight in one color on the first pass, then highlight those things that just aren't retaining in my brain on the second pass.

Been reading other peoples methods here on TE and since I have 19 days, because I want to retake it as soon as I am able. I also want to get those areas in each domain I am missing learned. I am wanting to study those specifically, then take the practice tests on LabSim, uCertify (Which WGU just informed me monday 7/10/2017 that they added 3 more practice tests), and Skillsoft until I have 95% or better. Which are provided by WGU.

I thank all of you for your input and will be taking it greatly into consideration as this third time I am going to have to go out of pocket @ WGU's rate for a voucher. I do not want to fail a 3rd time.
  • mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Been reading other peoples methods here on TE and since I have 19 days, because I want to retake it as soon as I am able.

I would say don't rush and take your time to master the material. Failing exams can get expensive.
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• bjpeterbjpeter Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    am a WGU student, and my 3rd attempt will be coming out of my pocket.

So a university paid for your first attempt and also your second?
    2021 Goals (2): SSCP, eCPPT
    Achieved (27): Certified Associate in Python Programming, Microsoft Certified: Azure Fundamentals, PenTest+, Project+, CySA+, Flutter Certified Application Developer, OCP Java EE 7 Application Developer, CCSP, OCP Java SE 11 Developer, CISSP, Linux+/LPIC-1, CCSKv4, OCE Java EE 6 JPA Developer, CSSLP, Server+, Cloud+, Arcitura Certified Cloud Professional, CASP+, Mobility+, Storage+, Android Certified Application Developer, OCP Java SE 8 Programmer, Security+, OCM Java SE 6 Developer, B.S. and M.S. in Computer Science
    bjpeter wrote: »
    So a university paid for your first attempt and also your second?

yes, that is what WGU does, but they will have you pay for your third attempt at any certification.
  • BillHooBillHoo Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Take the book you are reading. Get out your computer and open up an excel spreadsheet.

Label you row headers: Item or Term, Book(if using more than one), Page #, Additional Page #, Comments

Go through your book and if anything pops out at you that you didn't know before, add it to your index spreadsheet.

Under comments, make note of anything you need to remember or know and maybe even reference it to the Exams Objectives, so you can see if you are actually getting what you didn't know when you made your exam objectives checklist.

You are basically re-reading the book(s) again making an effort to document what you didn't notice the firsst few times. This spreadsheet can be printed and you can flip through it as study notes before you sit for the exam.

(heheh. All you SANS/GIAC folks probably recognize this methodology).