how to connect routers and switches

James777James777 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I'm studying for the CCENT exam at the moment, I've gone through the Chris Brant videos and taken notes. Going through Lammle's book at the moment. What I want to know is how do you connect actual router and switches together? what commands do you need? is there a lab book I can buy and use that will actually show a newbie like me on how to connect the routers and switches?

I have 3 cisco routers and switches. I connected the router's fast0/0 and 0/1 ports (back of the router) to 2 switches, but then when I login to the router via console, and typed show cdpneighbor, nothing shows up in the table. don't know where to go from there.

I've seen in Chris Bryant's videos he moves between the switches and routers by pressing numbers (2, 3, or 4, at the enabled prompts) on the keyboard, how does he do that?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Welly_59Welly_59 Member Posts: 431
    If you've watched all the videos them you must have done with your eyes closed or you seriously need to take another look at your study methods.

I bet the interfaces are shutdown
  • rob42rob42 Member Posts: 423
    James777 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm studying for the CCENT exam at the moment, I've gone through the Chris Brant videos and taken notes. Going through Lammle's book at the moment. What I want to know is how do you connect actual router and switches together? what commands do you need? is there a lab book I can buy and use that will actually show a newbie like me on how to connect the routers and switches?

I have 3 cisco routers and switches. I connected the router's fast0/0 and 0/1 ports (back of the router) to 2 switches, but then when I login to the router via console, and typed show cdpneighbor, nothing shows up in the table. don't know where to go from there.

I've seen in Chris Bryant's videos he moves between the switches and routers by pressing numbers (2, 3, or 4, at the enabled prompts) on the keyboard, how does he do that?

Thanks in advance.
    The first thing I noticed is that you've not got a space between 'cdp' and 'neighbors', but maybe that's simply a typo...

You'll need to 'bring up' the fa 0/0 interface on the Router...
    Router#conf t
    Router(config)#interface fa 0/0
    Router(config-if)# no shutdown
    Router(config-if)#
    %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface FastEthernet0/0, changed state to up

%LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/0, changed state to up

Router(config-if)#do show cdp neighbors
    Capability Codes: R - Router, T - Trans Bridge, B - Source Route Bridge
                      S - Switch, H - Host, I - IGMP, r - Repeater, P - Phone
    Device ID    Local Intrfce   Holdtme    Capability   Platform    Port ID
    Switch       Fas 0/0          161            S       PT3000      Fas 0/1
    Router(config-if)#

Post back if you need any more help icon_wink.gif
    No longer an active member
  • mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
    sh cdp ne de (show cdp neighbor detail) to get the input IP address of the device.
    Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
    A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
    B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University
  • Welly_59Welly_59 Member Posts: 431
    Won't matter if the interface is shutdown.
  • mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Welly_59 wrote: »
    Won't matter if the interface is shutdown.

True dat.. But looks like the int is up

Router#conf tRouter(config)#interface fa 0/0Router(config-if)# no shutdownRouter(config-if)#%LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface FastEthernet0/0, changed state to up%LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/0, changed state to upRouter(config-if)#do show cdp neighborsCapability Codes: R - Router, T - Trans Bridge, B - Source Route Bridge S - Switch, H - Host, I - IGMP, r - Repeater, P - PhoneDevice ID Local Intrfce Holdtme Capability Platform Port IDSwitch Fas 0/0 161 S PT3000 Fas 0/1Router(config-if)#
    Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
    A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
    B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University
  • hunterthuntert Banned Posts: 231
    i have been taking practice exams with Boson ExSim Max and the practice exams have helped me with the Cisco cli
  • Mr.Robot255Mr.Robot255 Member Posts: 196 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mikeybinec wrote: »
    True dat.. But looks like the int is up

Router#conf tRouter(config)#interface fa 0/0Router(config-if)# no shutdownRouter(config-if)#%LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface FastEthernet0/0, changed state to up%LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/0, changed state to upRouter(config-if)#do show cdp neighborsCapability Codes: R - Router, T - Trans Bridge, B - Source Route Bridge S - Switch, H - Host, I - IGMP, r - Repeater, P - PhoneDevice ID Local Intrfce Holdtme Capability Platform Port IDSwitch Fas 0/0 161 S PT3000 Fas 0/1Router(config-if)#

i think that was an example Rob was showing him how to do it.

i have watched a few diff diff versions of this course now , one using Packet Tracer, one using real equipment and one using Boson

cbtnuggets Jeremy Cioara uses real equipment does all close ups of each port hes plugging into etc and explains everything and does everything live, all the labs etc, even mistakes , it was a really fun FAST PACED but full of info (i'll probably watch again) one lab forget which one but he was trying to ping a device or something but it wouldn't work , he was there running through the troubleshooting process (this wasn't planned) and then he realised it was a firewall issue on his pc lol was really dun to watch.But also a very good lab/troubleshooting lesson. So if u can get ur hands on it i recommend it for using real equipment.

I like Packet Tracer as it so fast to set the labs up , if u mess stuff up its fast to start over etc
  • James777James777 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hey welly and rob

no shutdown was gold!
    i can now see the 2 switches via show cdp neighbor

cheers!
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would suggest watching the videos again, and this time be in a router following along as you watch. Since you obviously don't have a lot of hands on experience, you're not going to retain a lot without actually doing it.
  • labscloudlabscloud Member Posts: 137 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Also, Chris is using an Access Server to switch between routers/switches with a single command. If you don't have one and you are using a lab, you'll have to physically unplug the console cable every time you want to configure a different piece of your lab.
  • IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    In terms of lab setup, Chris Bryant doesn't really cover that. I think a better place to start might be some Youtube Videos from DansCourses for Packet Tracer or David Bombal for GNS3, both have excellent and free material on Youtube. David has release some of his Youtube stuff on Udemy free as well, so it's easier to consume.

I just remembered, Paul Browning has an excellent 2 part video about Access Servers. I set up Access Server with octal cables in Packet tracer using those two videos from him. Very good stuff, and FREE!!
  • James777James777 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm not sure what an Access Server is? is it hardware or software? I'm thinking its something for labbing or studying, but not in the CCNA exam right?
  • IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    James777 wrote: »
    I'm not sure what an Access Server is? is it hardware or software? I'm thinking its something for labbing or studying, but not in the CCNA exam right?

Bro, do you even research?..I kid, I kid. Just look up Paul Browning Access server on Youtube, he explains everthing before going into the configuration. It's a device, meant for multiple console connections for OOB management. In Packet tracer one of the routers can have a module added that allows for access server configuration.