It certifications a lawyer can pursue

PhemmiskyPhemmisky Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I would like to know any good IT certification that an information technology lawyer with elementary knowledge of science and maths can get ? Pls just to have an edge in my career .

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Any certs you could get with only elementary knowledge aren't likely to help you as a lawyer I wouldn't think.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would start with Security+ and then look into Certified Information Systems Manager (CISM), or Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA).

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would start with Security+ and then look into Certified Information Systems Manager (CISM), or Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA).

How's that going to help him? Those certifications are meant for IT professionals responsibile for policy and program creations, implementations etc. That alone is a full time job, not to mention they require proven experience already and years in the field.

Seriously I've been seeing so many posts with similar topics lately with the Original Posters seeking an advantage over other candiates in an unrelated iT field if they get an IT certifications. This way of thinking is flawed. IT will not give you any advantage.

I just recently took part in a IR tabletop exercise and we had legal in the room. By the time any task was assigned to legal there were 10+ IT people involved, 2 CERT groups and 2 levels of CISO.

Point I'm making, stick to your field and become the best lawyer you can be, focus on the law side and try to excel at that. The IT pros are doing the same on their side.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    I don't really think a lawyer needs technical certs, perhaps video training on Youtube or maybe a subscription to CBT nuggets where you watch training to get knowledge in topics that you need to know about?
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    Phemmisky wrote: »
    I would like to know any good IT certification that an information technology lawyer with elementary knowledge of science and maths can get ? Pls just to have an edge in my career .

I'd contact one of these guys and ask about their career path:
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnetuma/ (https://shawnetuma.com/)
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/eddieblock/ (JurisHacker | Focused on the intersection of law and information security.)
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • PhemmiskyPhemmisky Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you guys for your contributions
  • AvoliniAvolini Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think any IT knowledge that a lawyer can demonstrate is useful, even the basics. A lawyer without basic understanding of IT cannot serve clients on IT issues very well. Lawyers could consider coursework or certification in a variety of areas: 1. Data privacy (cipp/europe and US) and cipm or cipt to show more advanced understanding? 2. Tech management (business continuity/dr cert, isaca cybersecurity fundamentals cert). 3. A basic forensics cert. 4. A course or two in programming (maybe some basic cert in this area if it exists?). 5. Ediscovery cert. 6. Something in IT project management? 7. Anything else that appeals to you and relates to your clients’ activities. My suggestion is to pick a couple of areas and learn! Various areas of IT overlap conceptually, so studying in one area can help you to develop some baseline of technological literacy. This can help a lawyer to have a clue about technology and distinguish herself from the many lawyers who know nothing.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    CIPP seems to be the only one that is worth them going after. I'd probably suggest the CISSP, but again for lawyers IT certs don't mean much.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • SaltyHashesSaltyHashes Member Posts: 33 ■■■□□□□□□□
    OP - Are you trying to transition to work side-by-side with IT folks and investigate cyber crimes?

Microsoft has a Digital Crimes Unit where that is a reality. I've seen their hiring requirements and they look for people with legal backgrounds. Having that forensic mindset plus cyber knowledge is the sweet-spot to get in to those kind of roles.

Perhaps take a look at JDMurray's post where he goes over the EnCE certification:
    The EnCase Certified Examiner (EnCE) Certification Experience - TechExams.net IT Certification Blogs

Here's a fantastic article written on Business News Daily by Ed Tittel and Kim Lindros regarding some other certifications that you could explore:
    https://www.businessnewsdaily.com/10755-best-digital-forensics-certifications.html

One last resource for you by Concise Courses (check out their other blog posts section):
    https://www.concise-courses.com/digital-forensics-certifications/
  • Tekn0logyTekn0logy Member Posts: 113 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Phemmisky wrote: »

Phemmisky, you want edge, I'll show you edge... Try this on for size: GCFE
    Computer crimes are big and will come a time where either prosecuting or defending a suspected cyber-criminal will be commonplace.
    This can give you insight if evidence is properly handled, been tampered with or missing.
    As others have said, CompTIA security+ at a minimum is the first cyber cert you should pursue before the GCFE.
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dmoore44 wrote: »

Hey, he used to be my boss. Great guy.
  • nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Also, forensics certs like EnCase will be good.
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
  • mizterkewlmizterkewl Member Posts: 122 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't know if it will give you an edge, but if you're looking to just be familiar with IT terminology. I agree with a few others start with Security+
  • draughtdraught Member Posts: 229 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I can't find the job posting now but I've seen postings for IT lawyers essentially. If I had law degree I would definitely go for that!