Exam 70-743: Upgrade from MCSA: 2012 to 2016

djrabesdjrabes Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I passed my 70-412 and gained my MCSA in Windows Server 2012 last week, and I'm looking to further expand my knowledge by doing the upgrade exam to Windows Server 2016, the college I do my apprenticeship with can give me the exams for half the price and for the sake of £50, I might as well get it to add another MCSA to my transcript.

Has anyone done the upgrade? - I just want to know what people's take on it is etc, is it harder than 410, 411 or 412?

Any information you guys can give me would be of great appreciation

Certifications: CompTIA A+, MCP, MCSA: Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2016, Windows 10
Studying: Exam 70-414: Implementing an Advanced Server Infrastructure
Want: MCSA: Office 365, MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure Exam 70-414: Implementing an Advanced Server Infrastructure), Network+, Security+

Comments

• nachodbanachodba Member Posts: 201 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I purchased the Microsoft Exam Prep books, unfortunately i haven't had much of a chance to review them.
    2020 Goals
    work-life balance
  • djrabesdjrabes Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    nachodba wrote: »
    I purchased the Microsoft Exam Prep books, unfortunately i haven't had much of a chance to review them.

Thanks for the reply. I've purchased the 70-743 Exam Ref book, but not really one for reading. My hands on experience is a bit limited so would like to work on that more than anything. Any good suggestions?
    Certifications: CompTIA A+, MCP, MCSA: Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2016, Windows 10
    Want: MCSA: Office 365, MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure Exam 70-414: Implementing an Advanced Server Infrastructure), Network+, Security+
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    alan2308 wrote: »

Thanks Alan. Do you know of any places where I can do Lab Exercises? Virtual Labs is good but doesn't cover a majority.
  • duta74duta74 Member Posts: 143 ■■□□□□□□□□
    https://itpro.tv/ Premium Subscription included "Practice Labs" labs for their courses. Also included Transcender practice tests.

https://itpro.tv/plans/

You can find 30% discount here:
    http://join.itpro.tv/promo30/
    There's a lot of step by step guides here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/windows-server-2016 I used the 2012 equivalents heavily when I did the MSCA 2012 update

Google around, you'll find a lot of others as well. "Step by Step guides" is what'll get you good hits.
    Perfect. Thank you for your help guys. I will have a look :D

Has anyone took 70-743 yet?
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    djrabes wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. I've purchased the 70-743 Exam Ref book, but not really one for reading. My hands on experience is a bit limited so would like to work on that more than anything. Any good suggestions?

In addition to what alan recommended, I would use AWS/Azure to set up a lab. Can build the entire infrastructure right there.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    In addition to what alan recommended, I would use AWS/Azure to set up a lab. Can build the entire infrastructure right there.

What would you recommend to create in Azure? - The trial of Azure is fairly limited in what sort of machines and services I can run.
    Azure is a good point. I believe the exam topics to have a bit of Azure here and there.

As far as what to do, there's not a lot you need to know for the MCSA 2016 I believe. Learn the interface, how to to the basic things. Build a VM, build a container. Maybe move VMs and containers from Hyper-V to Azure and vice versa. ADFS between Azure and your lab domain.

Give me a little bit to dig it up, I've got a few sources where you can get trial time on Azure.
    Thank you very much :) Any resource is grateful.
    I'm taking the upgrade exam in September. How much different is the exam to the 3 2012 R2 exams I took?

Am I looking at about 50 odd questions?