Passed 70-411 on 2nd attempt

srocky26srocky26 Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
Passed with an 841 a little bit ago!

Some background:

I took and passed the 70-410 with an 8xx last December. I ended up taking a break for Christmas and then studying and passing my VCP during the first half of the year. I decided to come back to finish my MCSA about a month ago, eyeing the 70-411.

I took the test a week ago and struggled; failing with a 620. There were a number of questions that I just didn't have a clue what the answer could be or even able to eliminate the incorrect answers. I took some practice questions (50) from Transcender and was scoring ~65%. I was strong on network services, GPO and weak on AD. I really felt I had studied enough and wanted to get the exam over with. I thought I could manage to get lucky for the last 5% and get a pass. I ended up scoring best on AD and worst on network services and GPO this time.

Initially I went through the CBT nuggets and followed along on all of the virtual labs. This was a huge help because I learn better by seeing and doing. I thought I had a pretty good grasp on the subjects, but went on to read the "Microsoft Exam Reference" book anyways. I found that the book had some random nuggets of information that weren't covered in the videos, but it was dry. It was a lot of "follow these steps to set this up" rather than explaining how things work. I used various labs to test/view the new information.

The day after failing I signed up for the free trial of pluralsight. I watched some of the videos where I felt weak and found that there was even more content that I didn't get from CBT nuggets or from my reading. The NPS information really started to sink in during these videos for some reason.

Some had suggested the "Master Windows Server 2012" book, so I picked it up and read through the chapters that seemed relavent. I found more bits of information that weren't covered in the other material. I actually found this book to be refreshing to read. It's not focused on passing the exam, but has a ton of information. I was able to pick out some of the questions from the exam.

I was still only scoring ~60% on practice tests though, so I spent a few days just going through a ton of practice questions. I think this was the key to my success. It wasn't learning the material and understanding how to deploy it, it was learning what kind of questions Microsoft was going to ask and knowing how to answer them. I was eventually getting over 90% on the practice questions.

I will continue on to the 70-412 to complete the MCSA. From what I've seen around here that is the hardest exam. I did learn about ADFS, ADRMS, and ADCS when I studied for the 2008 exams and I've done a number of the other exam tasks in actual production environments, so I hope it goes well.

Comments

• Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well congrats on passing the exam. I know for me I just started reading, watching videos. I take my exam in 2 months so I'm starting to study more and more every day.
    2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    congrats! I also failed and just happened to find cbt nugget's re-release and then used that to pass.
    The pluralsight videos were great and more in depth than cbt nut much more dryer and lacked the labs.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Tremane2003Tremane2003 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!, I also took the test a few weeks ago and failed. I used CBT nuggets for video’s, virtual labs and Transcender practice questions. I kept practicing till I consistently scored above 800 points and felt confident to take on the exam. There were a number of questions on the micrsot exam that I just didn't have a clue about because it wasn’t talked about or emphasized, therefore it was impossible for me to eliminate a few answers choices to get a 50/50 chance. I am now using Testout as an additional source to study for the exam, so far it proving to a good valuable source of material that was discussed in CBT nugget videos. The topics are really broken down and compartmentalized, the author also has facts sheets after each section that you can print out and put together for bulleted points (so that you can keep running back and referencing topics). You will also have access to virtual labs and exam questions. Testout will also give you a 7 day free trial. I plan on taking a second shot at the test within two weeks.

• srocky26srocky26 Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks all!
    Congrats!, I also took the test a few weeks ago and failed. I used CBT nuggets for video’s, virtual labs and Transcender practice questions. I kept practicing till I consistently scored above 800 points and felt confident to take on the exam. There were a number of questions on the micrsot exam that I just didn't have a clue about because it wasn’t talked about or emphasized, therefore it was impossible for me to eliminate a few answers choices to get a 50/50 chance. I am now using Testout as an additional source to study for the exam, so far it proving to a good valuable source of material that was discussed in CBT nugget videos. The topics are really broken down and compartmentalized, the author also has facts sheets after each section that you can print out and put together for bulleted points (so that you can keep running back and referencing topics). You will also have access to virtual labs and exam questions. Testout will also give you a 7 day free trial. I plan on taking a second shot at the test within two weeks.

I'll have to check out testout after I get through my 70-412 material. I can always use more resources.
  • Gago77Gago77 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!
  • ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats on your pass!!! whats next?
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • srocky26srocky26 Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ITSpectre wrote: »
    congrats on your pass!!! whats next?
    The 70-412 is next for me.

I'm reading up on HA right now. We use NLB at work so that's not too bad, but clustering is taking a bit to sink in.
  • clarkincnetclarkincnet Member Posts: 256 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That's really great - good job for sticking with it!
    Give a hacker an exploit, and they will have access for a day, BUT teach them to phish, and they will have access for the rest of their lives!

Have: CISSP, CISM, CRISC, CGEIT, ITIL-F
  • honghhongh Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    NICE CONGRATS! i just passed my 70-411 on my 2nd try as well just a couple hours ago!!! WOOT!!!
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    hongh wrote: »
    NICE CONGRATS! i just passed my 70-411 on my 2nd try as well just a couple hours ago!!! WOOT!!!

good job!
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats man that 411 is no joke. NPS, WDS, Group Policy, DFRS, Power shell, still give me nightmares lol.
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.