Company laughs

ChevelChevel Member Posts: 211 ■■■□□□□□□□
My job hunting progress has not gone well lots of applications no bites with the exception of one interview. Most of the jobs I get are from people in other countries and I can't understand them most of the time. Fast forward to a few days ago I was approached by my PM and informed that there are no jobs open within the company to put me in except one. The salary for the job is over 30% less than what I make now. Plus is the graveyard shift.

Now there are couple of things that send red flags all over the place. However the biggest kicker for me is that my PM, coworker and supervisor keep pushing this job on me. I read the job description online and its just a help desk position but in a different building. The PM tells me that if I take the position that EVENTUALLY ( key word here) something MAY come open. Now my co-work and PM are good friends, and my co-work has slipped up quite a few times that the PM is working on a position for him. I find it laughable as this braggy co-worker asks me for my help for 99% of the assignments, then rarely shares the credit. I mean simple stuff.......Really? You don't know how to copy/paste and change colors in an excel document? That's not something you "just forget because you don't use it." icon_lol.gif Especially when its part of our daily tasks.

I am stressed and worried about how I'm going to pay my mortgage and bills when this job goes away but times like the one above I look back and laugh.

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    You lost me at 30% reduction and the most vague, probably decimal percentage of probability of an opening materializing itself in an undetermined future. This is like saying you could EVENTUALLY win the PowerBall. Insults my intelligence. Could it happen? Heck yeah, although odds are not in your favor.
  • ChevelChevel Member Posts: 211 ■■■□□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    You lost me at 30% reduction and the most vague, probably decimal percentage of probability of an opening materializing itself in an undetermined future. This is like saying you could EVENTUALLY win the PowerBall. Insults my intelligence. Could it happen? Heck yeah, although odds are not in your favor.

LOL!!! That's what my mother said. icon_lol.gif
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    It sucks, but at the end of the day some pay is better than none.... Do what you gotta do to pay the bills. I know I'd be submitting resumes like there's no tomorrow personally.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Id take the job.... it may be less than what you make now... BUT its something. You can use that to get something better. But I would not turn down a job just because its lower pay....
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Are you saying you are going to be laid off? I would be looking for a job external to the company before I took a 30% pay cut for a job within the company. It definitely sounds like something fishy going on with the and the PM both pushing you to take the position.

If the coworker is using your help to do their work and then leveraging "their" work to get a better position while trying to shove you into a worse position, then maybe the best option is to stop helping them with their work and just focus on doing your work.
    I've submitted resumes for the past 2 months as well as networking with other people on the job unfortunately most of the leads were dead ends. I'm still fighting the good fight I know that something will come along.

I understand taking work when it comes however I wouldn't even break even in fact I'd be losing money. I live pretty frugally no cable, no internet, no debt other than student loans.

The work that we do requires teamwork so as much as it is tempting to let the co-worker sink it's not beneficial to the company nor does it benefit our client.
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Any manager worth his salt knows that someone who takes a 30% pay cut will be looking for another job. Either be looking or be hard at work convincing them otherwise so you're not on the lay-off chopping block.
  • alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You didn't say what you are currently doing or what your title is so that may play into your decision as well. Going from $thing to helpdesk might make it harder for you to get a job. You also said by taking that job you will lose money? If that really is the case, you can't afford to do it. You might be better off letting them lay you off -- at least then you can get unemployment.
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Gotta do what it takes to survive in the short term.
    alias454 wrote: »
    You didn't say what you are currently doing or what your title is so that may play into your decision as well. Going from $thing to helpdesk might make it harder for you to get a job. You also said by taking that job you will lose money? If that really is the case, you can't afford to do it. You might be better off letting them lay you off -- at least then you can get unemployment.

I'm a cyber security analyst. icon_smile.gif There's no way I'd survive on 37k. I'd would have to take out a loan to pay the remainder of my bills.

Good news had a job interview today felt great about it.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    How big of a loan would you have to take if you were making 0k a year?

Hopefully the interview works out. Good luck!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Chevel wrote: »
    I find it laughable as this braggy co-worker asks me for my help for 99% of the assignments, then rarely shares the credit. I mean simple stuff.......Really? You don't know how to copy/paste and change colors in an excel document? That's not something you "just forget because you don't use it."

I find it laughable that you continue to help him. No need for him to remember how to do his job when he can sucker you into doing it and take credit.

Good luck with getting something better.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
    E Double U wrote: »
    I find it laughable that you continue to help him. No need for him to remember how to do his job when he can sucker you into doing it and take credit.

Good luck with getting something better.

It's hard trust me, but if I stopped I suspect suddenly I'm the issue.

Thanks! icon_smile.gif
    How big of a loan would you have to take if you were making 0k a year?

Hopefully the interview works out. Good luck!

Touche!

Pretty the same although with 0k no wear and tear on my vehicle from the long commute.
  • Press ANY KeyPress ANY Key Member Posts: 25 ■■□□□□□□□□
    NO WAY!

You are a Cyber Security Analyst now but they want you take a Helpdesk role? That is like going from the Major Leagues down to Class A minor league ball (baseball reference....no offense to helpdesk people).

What do your evaluations look like? I would sit down with the PM and hash things out.

You may have to contact the dreaded contracting companies like TekSystems or Apex. Either way, I think it is time fr you to get out of there.
    My evaluation was great and was even given a raise in less than 6 months icon_smile.gif

Its a funding issue, nothing I can really do other than keep applying. The PM did say another job came open but they could not match my salary.