Here are the job opportunities available within my team located overseas (OCONUS)

518518 Member Posts: 165 ■■■□□□□□□□
We still have a few awesome opportunities in East Africa. Secret cleared, first $100k is tax free, you have your own room in a shared housing (marble tiles) located out in town, and a shared vehicle. This is a 60hr workweek, 12hour days Mon-Fri.

(1) Sr Sys Admin (Storage, eSXi, AD), you need CASP for consideration and MCSE 2012 within 6 months of hire
(1) CSA (deskside support, a bit higher than help desk position) requires Sec+ and 70-698 or similar
(1) Systems Engineer, CASP for consideration, MCSE 2012 within 6-months
(1) VTC Technician, Sec+ required. Really, all you will be doing is making sure that the customer can connect to the bridge
(1) NEW: Network Administrator with CCNP, Sec+

Again, if you are in Kuwait and Afghanistan, you really have to look at these opportunities we offer in East Africa. It's very easy to go R&R in Europe, Dubai, or Thailand.

If interested, inbox me and I'll give you a pretty good idea how awesome East Africa is! icon_cheers.gif

Comments

• mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    What company do you work for? Is there an uplift in East Africa? and how is compensation compared to Middle East?
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• 518518 Member Posts: 165 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mikey88 wrote: »
    What company do you work for? Is there an uplift in East Africa? and how is compensation compared to Middle East?

Vectrus pays their Net Admin I in Afghanistan, what, $26/hour? With uplift and a 56hr workweek, that comes up to $112k per year. That's like a help desk pay here in Africa.

I forgot to mention that here in Africa, the company provided villa includes a maid that cleans your room and wash the laundry for you. You can also go to the supermarket and cook your own food on the weekend.
  • ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    518 wrote: »
    the company provided villa includes a maid that cleans your room and wash the laundry for you. You can also go to the supermarket and cook your own food on the weekend.

Are we allowed to choose the maid??? Is it a female maid that comes to the home every day or can it be a "live in" maid.... :)
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
    ITSpectre wrote: »
    Are we allowed to choose the maid??? Is it a female maid that comes to the home every day or can it be a "live in" maid.... :)
    it's an older female maid that barely speaks english. however, some say that you can hire your own "full-service maid" for $400/mo...lol
  • fabostrongfabostrong Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My Secret clearance expired this year so I guess I'm out of luck?
    fabostrong wrote: »
    when was your last investigation date?
  • ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    • Clearance can be re-activated for up to 24 months as long as your re-evaluation period hasn't passed.
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
    ITSpectre wrote: »
    • Clearance can be re-activated for up to 24 months as long as your re-evaluation period hasn't passed.

this.

I would like to emphasize that Sys Admin and Sys Engineer positions require CASP along with your Secret clearance. Also, you will be upgraded to TS.
  • fabostrongfabostrong Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
    when was your last investigation date?

About 10 years ago. That was my initial investigation. I originally had a TS/SCI that downgraded to a Secret after 5 years. 5 years later my Secret is expired but I think it was officially expired due to inactivity as opposed to being expired because I was up for a new investigation.
    I'm about to go to sleep, I'll respond in the morning. Let me just put it out there, because I get a lot of PM regarding pay.

the salary of our help desk technician is comparable to Vectrus' Network Admin I in Afghanistan . even if the pay rate is the same, living condition and life expectancy is much much better in Africa than Afghanistan. I must tell you that the interview process is nothing like Vectrus. I am advertising this here, but you will still need to earn that spot. However, this is TE, I am confident that people are really technical and did not achieve their cert using ****.
    About 10 years ago. That was my initial investigation. I originally had a TS/SCI that downgraded to a Secret after 5 years. 5 years later my Secret is expired but I think it was officially expired due to inactivity as opposed to being expired because I was up for a new investigation.
    yeah, even if your investigation date was just 5 years ago. Not using your clearance for more than 24 months require a brand new field investigation.
  • Welly_59Welly_59 Member Posts: 431
    USA citizens only I presume? Wish these opportunities, with this amount of pay, came about for us in the UK!
  • EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    How many people share the housing? What are the common areas like (is there a pool, billiards table, etc)? What is the cable/internet situation (common areas only, does everyone get their own in their rooms, ect)? Does each person have a private bathroom? How many people per one shared vehicle? Is there a gym at work that can be used during lunch break?
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    When you get down to it, is the housing wet or dry?
  • ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Lol. I haven't had a clearance since 94. I wonder how I could get sponsored for one.
  • NyblizzardNyblizzard Member Posts: 332 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This opportunity is only for people with Active Secret Clearances, correct?
    O
    /|\
    / \
    3-4 people shares a 4,000 sqft villa. If you are the FNG, you will share a bathroom with another person. The shared bath is in the common area.

- our internet in the villa is 10meg
    - theres is a cable tv
    - 3-4 people shares the toyota pickup truck
    - 2 fitness centers at work. One brand spanking new and the other with newly upgraded hoist equipment
    - no billiards table in the villa (you can go to downtown bar to play) of you can purchase one for $3,000
    one of the villa has a billiard table. 3 tables are available at the MWR
    - swimming pool at the clubhouse, gated villa
  • volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
    We still have a few awesome opportunities in East Africa. Secret cleared, first $100k is tax free, you have your own room in a shared housing (marble tiles) located out in town, and a shared vehicle. This is a 60hr workweek, 12hour days Mon-Fri...

I stopped reading.
    lol
    volfkhat wrote: »
    I stopped reading.
    lol
    haha. yeah, overseas job isnt for you if you are used to 40hr workweek. Or, if you are already making $9k/mo in States AFTER taxes, this job isnt geared towards you. A 60hr workweek is nothing compared to 72hr workweek. I remember when I went back to states, I didnt know what to do with extra 20hrs in a week, lol.
  • LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Why, work on certs or education, of course icon_wink.gificon_cool.gif
    Not with Vectrus, but would be interested in learning more about the Cybersecurity position. And I am guessing "East Africa" is Djibouti...
    haha. yeah, overseas job isnt for you if you are used to 40hr workweek. Or, if you are already making $9k/mo in States AFTER taxes, this job isnt geared towards you. A 60hr workweek is nothing compared to 72hr workweek. I remember when I went back to states, I didnt know what to do with extra 20hrs in a week, lol.
  • locod64locod64 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hey,

Im the lead cyber security officer in Bagram right now. Interested in a change of scenery, please mesg me your contact info.
    im interested in interviewing for a role..
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Opportunities like this seem amazing.

I would love to work internationally but I don't have a clearance. It may seem crazy to say but I would love to work and be able to learn a new language and culture or use my language skills somewhere, even if the place was a little dangerous.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
    I would still apply. You never know who would be willing to sponsor you a clearance, especially if you have the right skillsets.
    And, you can always look at expat jobs too. They may not be in the abundance they once were, but they are out there.

I would love to work internationally but I don't have a clearance. It may seem crazy to say but I would love to work and be able to learn a new language and culture or use my language skills somewhere, even if the place was a little dangerous.

I would enrourage you to apply with Vectrus. While their pay is not competitive, they are usually the gateway for people who never held a clearance before.
  • ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If I wasn't married I would be all over this lol.

The work hours don't bother me and the experience would provide some awesome conversation at future interviews!
  • joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    For anyone who does pursue these opportunities, make sure you get out and experience the country around you. When I was in Kuwait, I knew a bunch of people who only went out in the expat areas/restaurants, and might as well have just been in the US still. You've basically had someone pay for flight and housing to experience a new country and culture. Take advantage of it!
    Haha yeah I managed to get downtown here in Baghdad. But you are very spot on. Most Americans I know, even on non government contract jobs, living in the foreign country, only hang out with other Americans outside of work, only go to venues frequented by Americans, barely learn only a few words of the local language, and have only a few locals as friends. Wasted opportunities to expand one's soft skills for a global economy.
    joelsfood wrote: »
    For anyone who does pursue these opportunities, make sure you get out and experience the country around you. When I was in Kuwait, I knew a bunch of people who only went out in the expat areas/restaurants, and might as well have just been in the US still. You've basically had someone pay for flight and housing to experience a new country and culture. Take advantage of it!
    Oh, only exception I'd say, is pay attention to your state department notices, local security staff, etc. Depending on when/where you are, there might be certain places that are best to avoid, things not to do, etc. IE, if you're working in Saudi Arabia, don't try to drive over to Mecca as a white American. :) Obviously an extreme example, but be sensitive to safety concerns and remember you're in someone else's home. Don't be rude, insensitive, loud, etc.

Also, try to learn at least a few basic words in native language of whatever country you go to. Learned that on my first trip back at 14, just a few words of Portuguese made a world of difference.
    joelsfood wrote: »
    listen to joelsfood!

I dont speak the local language here, but I love their food and beer. Food is a language, no? :D
    Food was certainly the best part of being in Kuwait. :) Both middle eastern cuisine, and sushi that took advantage of fresh seafood from being a ocean facing country. Admittedly, I did occasionally skip the shawarma and have a burger, but beef bacon is not the same as real bacon. :)