Is it safe to give out server ip so others can access via browser?

ethoswethosw Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Quick question (hope it's okay to ask), I'm a student and I am thinking of getting an AWS server to host my projects. I want to be able to let companies that I apply to access my hosted projects; along with sharing and letting others check it out.

Would it be safe to give out my server's public IP address?

I was thinking of buying a domain instead, but there doesn't seem to be an easy way to connect that with an AWS EC2 instance. Plus not sure if I should pay for that domain, as I don't think I'll have the server up for long - just mainly to showcase my side/school projects.

Any help/input would be appreciated!

Comments

• TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Ever heard of GitHub? Does exactly what you want for free. Everyone uses it.
  • bootboot Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Would it be safe to give out my server's public IP address?

I was thinking of buying a domain instead

Do you know what
    nslookup www.techexams.net

does?

I'd be more worried that you set up an insecure server. Imagine if a potential employer visits your server and gets hit with ransomware. Use Github, you only have to worry about the security of your own code. You can use Github Pages to show web pages, as long as they're static (no server side code, e.g. PHP, Python or Ruby on Rails). If you have server side code, put it in a repository on Github, with instructions for quick demo setup (PHP/Python/whatever command to start a web server in local folder). You get to show that you know collaborative tools (Git/Github) as well.
    not sure if I should pay for that domain

A .com is $9/year at Namesilo. Don't be tempted to buy .xyz, .website, .services or other cheap new age TLDs/extensions. Non-techies who think every URL must end with .com will mistype it (obviously these people will also have problems if you point them to an IP address, by the way). Most of the new TLDs are riddled with phishing, spam and scam sites, so some sysadmins blanket-block them completely, because there just aren't any useful sites to visit there anyway (yeah, Googles mother company is on .xyz, but no one actually needs to visit Alphabets site). Don't know your location, but in countries where showing projects on your resume is a thing I would expect 9 USD to be less than a night out drinking. In other words a small investment towards a job.

Think professionalism. Make sure your potential employers easily can reach your site - don't make the URL obscure. Make sure they don't get anything malicious - don't run your own server unless you are capable of setting it up securely and maintaining it. If you don't renew the domain, make sure to remove all traces of it where you can (unless you keep paying for it and just have a couple fewer beers every year). If it shows up in search engines someone is going to buy it (out of your control). If you leave a reference to it in some resume database (within your control), someone is going to visit it and get a nasty surprise - they probably won't get a good impression of you.
  • ethoswethosw Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    Ever heard of GitHub? Does exactly what you want for free. Everyone uses it.

Does it allow me to configure stuff on the server, install things, etc?
  • ethoswethosw Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    That's the thing, it's server side code. That's why I was looking into AWS. I tried Heroku, but it's too slow and goes to sleep on me.. One of my project processes lots of data, so Heroku isn't going fast enough during the initial processing.
  • Welly_59Welly_59 Member Posts: 431
    its a code hosting service