Security+ worth renewing?

cloudyknightcloudyknight Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
So my expiration of A+, Network+, and Security+ is approaching. My school schedule has finally eased up so I do have time to renew, but I'm pretty burnt out from studying for my OCP in Java 8.

I'm wondering if it will be worth it to renew and if so, what's the best way to do it? Security is a big concern where I work and I don't plan on going after a higher level security certification so it seems like a good one to keep.

Has anyone been successful in getting 50 CEUs? Are there any good training courses that give enough CEUs?

It looks like it would be easier to retake the exam. If I retake the exam I won't have to pay the CE program fee on top of the exam fee, correct?

Comments

• doctorlexusdoctorlexus Member Posts: 217
    I wouldn't unless you work in a government job that requires you to keep it current. The CEU's aren't so bad if you're actively pursuing other certs, but $150 in annual fees to renew? No thanks. And I certainly wouldn't spend $300 to sit the test again. You already got it once, so it's on your resume. And you don't have to remove it. There's no resume police knocking on your door making sure all your old certs have been removed. Or have an expired certs section if you really want. In either case, it's still on your resume. Cert expiration is mostly just a money wheel for these companies.

You have to consider what you really gain from spending money on the same cert again. It's going to be much more profitable and prudent to pursue new challenges.
  • AverageJoeAverageJoe Member Posts: 316 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You're correct that you don't have to pay both the CEU fee and the exam fee.

I'd recommend keeping your certification current via CEUs. There are inexpensive and free CEU options. Look at the pre-approved CEU listings on CompTIA's site.

Otherwise, it's easy now to say you probably won't need the cert and let it expire, but if you search these forums you'll see quite a few posts from folks who did just that and then were jammed up when they needed the cert. Folks who either changed jobs and then they needed it, or expected they'd be able to pass a re-test when they needed to but failed. One guy wrote about his job paying for a boot camp, paying for his cert exam, he passed, but having the cert was optional -- so he didn't hassle with it, let it expire, and then his job made it mandatory -- and he failed the exam, was suspended from his job without pay, and needed to pass to be reinstated.

That's a lot of pressure for something that could have been avoided for $50 a year and a little planning to get 50 hours of CEUs over a 3-year period... you literally do an hour a week for a year and be done... or like me and do 50 hours over the course of a few weeks and be done. Or something in between.

I've never understood why people balk at $150 per 3 years... yet that's less than a lot of people's monthly cable bill, and a couple of steak dinners at a nice restaurant could wind up costing more in one night.

doctorlexus, it's $150 for 3 years, not annually.
  • cbdcbd Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well said, AverageJoe.
  • ArchonArchon Member Posts: 183 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Its not often one fee though if you hold more than one cert requiring it. CEH, CISSP etc also want payment. Find a decent company that pays for it.
  • cloudyknightcloudyknight Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Some good answers in this thread. I've decided to let it go. Yes, I could renew it this time but I just don't see the point in maintaining it every 3 years. I also don't have any intention of working for the government.

I'm about to fly out for certification training that I'll actually use. I'd rather relax until then so I can go into it with an clear mind than to cram in another exam.
  • adlinuxadlinux Member Posts: 22 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Same here...I'm not renewing. CompTIA is very picky on what CEUs they will accept and won't accept, which is odd becuause it's an entry-level cert. Career-wise, when you have more extensive experience under your belt, and your job doesn't require the Security+ cert, it's just not worth it to continuously renew. That's my $0.02.
  • PseudonymousPseudonymous Member Posts: 78 ■■■□□□□□□□
    adlinux wrote: »
    Same here...I'm not renewing. CompTIA is very picky on what CEUs they will accept and won't accept, which is odd becuause it's an entry-level cert. Career-wise, when you have more extensive experience under your belt, and your job doesn't require the Security+ cert, it's just not worth it to continuously renew. That's my $0.02.
    Remember, you can get all the required CEU's by just passing a higher level certification. And it doesn't have to be another CompTIA exam. For you, just passing your CISM will renew your Security +.
    https://certification.comptia.org/continuing-education/renewothers/renewing-security
    Certifications: A+, N+, S+, CCNA: CyberOps, eJPT, ITIL, etc.
  • joedemjoedem Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Question regarding recertification of A+, Network + or Security +. Comp TIA says you need 20 CEU's for A+, 30 for Network+ and 50 for Security + within 3 years to renew or you can pass a higher level exam or you can retake and pass the same exam or recertification exam. Here's my question.
    Let's say you got your A+/N+ or S+ certification December 1, 2016 meaning it's valid through November 30, 2019 and you have until then to either get the CEU credits, pass a higher level exam or pass the same exam or recert. exam. Let's also assume you either get the needed CEU's or pass a higher level exam on December 1, 2017. Would your certification be extended one year to Novemeber 30, 2020 or 3 years to Novemeber 30, 2022?
  • ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    joedem wrote: »
    Question regarding recertification of A+, Network + or Security +. Comp TIA says you need 20 CEU's for A+, 30 for Network+ and 50 for Security + within 3 years to renew or you can pass a higher level exam or you can retake and pass the same exam or recertification exam. Here's my question.
    Let's say you got your A+/N+ or S+ certification December 1, 2016 meaning it's valid through November 30, 2019 and you have until then to either get the CEU credits, pass a higher level exam or pass the same exam or recert. exam. Let's also assume you either get the needed CEU's or pass a higher level exam on December 1, 2017. Would your certification be extended one year to Novemeber 30, 2020 or 3 years to Novemeber 30, 2022?

Your certs will be extended for another 3yrs
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • joedemjoedem Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks! I have finished 1 of the 2 A+ tests. And I am taking a CCNA college level course next year that I assume would qualify and I hoped to apply to recertification. But I didn't know - if I completed the CEU's within the first year would it extend just 1 year and not 3? So you've answered that!
  • m4v3r1ckm4v3r1ck Member Posts: 29 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've renewed as many jobs seem to require it. Especially those in government/clearance work. You put in the effort to get it. I would just keep it. Lots of outside certs auto-renew it and 50 hours isn't incredibly hard to do over 3 years. Comptia accepts Cybrary courses for example. Those are free and can net you some decent CEUs.