Options

Getting into the Security industry - certs

joba19joba19 Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
[FONT=&quot]In the company I work for, there is a job advertised. It involves monitoring using SIEM and investigating/resolving threats and suspicious activity. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Experience in Security along with a qualification/certification preferred, but if they don't they can provide training and time to do the certification. The job ad didn't mention the name of the Security certification they want though, so I assume anyone would be fine. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I don't have practical experience in Security, but done a module and final year project in that area. I will mention this in my application. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Getting ahead, I would like to do the CISMP cert offered by BCS (formerly ISEB). Security+ isn't recognised in my country that much, as I don't see it mentioned in job ads, so won't do that one. Most job ads I've seen is ISC2 ones. ISC2 certifications probably not a good idea yet, as it's for people with experience in the industry. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I hope doing the CISMP is good cert to do for the time being. Your opinion appreciated[/FONT]

Comments

• Options
    636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If Security+ isn't recognized in your country then what is? That's basically the standard entry level cert everybody will recommend. If that won't work then I won't know what will. ISC2 has a comparable entry-level security cert, but I hardly ever hear of anybody asking for that one. What country are you in?
  • Options
    518518 Member Posts: 165 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If Security+ isn't recognized in your country then what is? That's basically the standard entry level cert everybody will recommend. If that won't work then I won't know what will. ISC2 has a comparable entry-level security cert, but I hardly ever hear of anybody asking for that one. What country are you in?

He must have meant Sec+ doesnt hold much weight in the UK.

OP, why dont you approach the hiring manager in your company? Ask them what cert would they prefer? Then when you get hired, attend a training for the specific SIEM your company is using.
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The UK started the [FONT=&amp]CISMP because the British love to reestablish old standards as their own then declare it new. Its what they do and have been doing so for decades. Consider it to be a market reaction, nothing more. Where the [FONT=&amp]CISMP is rarely noticed outside of the UK.

Go figure.

Oh look my report generated. Yippee!

- b/eads
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
  • Options
    schipholschiphol Member Posts: 20 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I had to look it up and one website said "[k]ick-start your career in cyber security management." Is the CISMP the British equivalent to Security+ or some other entry-level cert?
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,032 Admin
    It makes sense that countries with security/privacy laws different from the USA would have their own set of certs that are one-offs of the Security+, CISSP, and CISA certs. I assume this is the case in the UK/EU and Japan.
  • Options
    joba19joba19 Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□

In Security jobs over her in the UK, ISC2 certs are mostly seen on job ads in particular CISSP and sometimes SSCP. SANS certs are on there too sometimes (second most seen). Rarely see ISACA and EC-Council certs though. Rarely seen CISMP too. Security+ is even rare.

I did read on here that Security+ is an entry level cert which is recommended on this forum.

Even though, it's CISMP is rare on jobs ads, I'm still doing it as it's the only entry-level one. I don't know any other entry-level certs for security.

The job ad in my company didn't specify which cert they want. Hopefully, that one will suffice and at least it's Security related.

518 wrote: »
    He must have meant Sec+ doesnt hold much weight in the UK.

OP, why dont you approach the hiring manager in your company? Ask them what cert would they prefer? Then when you get hired, attend a training for the specific SIEM your company is using.

Yes, it's the UK. Not sure why Security+ doesn't hold much weight in the UK. The other certs do though like ISC2 and SANS (sometimes EC-Council and ISACA).

Hiring manager is on holiday at the moment, and deadline is soon. Hiring manager will be back after the deadline date.

Looks like I'll do the CISMP before the deadline. At least I meet the 'Security cert' of the criteria in the job ad. I've asked colleagues in that team, and most of them don't have certs. The only few who have a cert have the CISSP from ISC2.
    beads wrote: »
    The UK started the CISMP because the British love to reestablish old standards as their own then declare it new. Its what they do and have been doing so for decades. Consider it to be a market reaction, nothing more. Where the CISMP is rarely noticed outside of the UK.

Go figure.

Oh look my report generated. Yippee!

- b/eads

I agree that that the CISMP is rarely noticed outside the UK. I've seen a few job ads in the UK that need CISMP, but very rare. Same for the other BCS/ISEB certs they offer too. On the BCS/ISEB website, they do say their certs is internationally recognised though.

At the end of the day, it's a Security cert though.

schiphol wrote: »
    I had to look it up and one website said "[k]ick-start your career in cyber security management." Is the CISMP the British equivalent to Security+ or some other entry-level cert?

CISMP is an entry level cert. Not sure if it's equivalent to Security+ though. I've compared the content of CISMP and Security+ , and Security+ have more technical content in, and CISMP don't.