CCENT lab?

fabostrongfabostrong Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
Does anyone recommend any guides or courses to setup a CCENT lab for studying using either GNS3 or packet tracer? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Welly_59Welly_59 Member Posts: 431
    Start from scratch each time. You will be glad of the practise
  • fabostrongfabostrong Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Welly_59 wrote: »
    Start from scratch each time. You will be glad of the practise

I believe you but I've never set one up so I think a guide or lesson at first would be good to get my feet wet.
    Are you studying with a book? EVERYTHING you read you should implement. If it shows you how to change the hostname then you should practise changing the hostname
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • FreejoleFreejole Member Posts: 30 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Welly_59 is right. I started using packet tracer with a bunch of pre-setup labs and only working on whatever that lab was but it really is a great help to have to do all the basic config setup every time. Its great muscle memory repetition. When I was first using serial connections I tried to find a lot of pre-made ones again because I didn't quite understand the DCE/DTE and setting the clocking and all the information said that in production networks thats taken care of by the CSU/DSU but even still I eventually looked up some tutorials on configuring that.
  • Mr.Robot255Mr.Robot255 Member Posts: 196 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Dans courses on youtube has a good series of packet tracer for beginners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wz8qI_nBK4
    Are you studying with a book? EVERYTHING you read you should implement. If it shows you how to change the hostname then you should practise changing the hostname

Currently I don't have a book. I've failed the CCENT twice and both times I got like a 750 or something. The labs and subnetting is where I was the weakest so I'm trying to improve on those first and then I'll do more of a complete review before I test again.
    Freejole wrote: »
    Welly_59 is right. I started using packet tracer with a bunch of pre-setup labs and only working on whatever that lab was but it really is a great help to have to do all the basic config setup every time. Its great muscle memory repetition. When I was first using serial connections I tried to find a lot of pre-made ones again because I didn't quite understand the DCE/DTE and setting the clocking and all the information said that in production networks thats taken care of by the CSU/DSU but even still I eventually looked up some tutorials on configuring that.

I understand what you're saying and it makes sense. I'm not looking to get pre-setup labs. More so instructions on how I can set the labs up. Instructions with explanations.
    stryder144 wrote: »

Thanks. Definitely downloading those. All of them say they're for the CCNA though. I'd like to find some that are specifically for the CCENT, preferably the most up to date ones. After ICND1, I'd like to get CCNA Security and then maybe back around and get R&S.
    Dans courses on youtube has a good series of packet tracer for beginners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wz8qI_nBK4

Thanks. I'll check these out.
  • boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
    https://www.amazon.com/101-Labs-Cisco-CCNA-Exam/dp/0955781523

That's what I have. Expensive but good.

As I read the CCNA book I just play around with the commands in Packet Tracer and I am gearing up for the lab material in that book.
    Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.
    Honest answer. If your asking here how to set up labs for icnd1 then you are a million million miles away from ccna security.

The non r&s tracks are more like ccnp level than ccna.

You will literally drown and fail
    The non r&s tracks are more like ccnp level than ccna.

I've never heard that but thanks for the input. You think it'd be better to get CCNA R&S before Security?
    https://www.amazon.com/101-Labs-Cisco-CCNA-Exam/dp/0955781523

That's what I have. Expensive but good.

As I read the CCNA book I just play around with the commands in Packet Tracer and I am gearing up for the lab material in that book.

Are you going for CCENT first or straight to the CCNA exam?
  • jibtechjibtech Member Posts: 424 ■■■■■□□□□□
    fabostrong wrote: »
    I've never heard that but thanks for the input. You think it'd be better to get CCNA R&S before Security?

I just finished CCENT on Thursday, and I am studying for ICND2 now. My personal opinion is that you absolutely should knock out ICND1 and ICND2 before trying for CCNA:Security. The amount of information covered by each is extensive, and it all builds on each other. To be successful with the CCNA:S, you will end up going back and reviewing the information anyways, so why not get the certification?

As for labs, every time you see a network on the screen, or in a book, build a network. If it is a broken network, build it broken and then go fix it, even if that isn't the task at hand. There is no substitute for the repetition of doing it over and over, until you don't have to think about it.

As far as actually using GNS, the ICND2 course on CBTNuggets has a good primer on setting up a network in GNSv3. The instructor is Jeremy Cioara. I found that to be all that I needed. You also might want to spend some time just playing in GNS.

That is my experience as someone in similar shoes. Hope it is helpful.
    Not sure.

Here's my plan;

I taking the A+ on Friday, 2 weeks after that I will take the second one (after passing of course), next I will take the Security+ 3 weeks later because I've already read the Sec+ material and studied 3 weeks to review. After that I am going to take a regular class for probably 4 weeks.

Today I put 1 hour into the CCNA. I packet tracer lab and read and study the CCNA material here and there but I am slowly studying it more and more. I plan on taking the first CCNA course at the beginning of next semester. So depending on where I'm at in five months (this is my second month at WGU) I will decide on weather or not to take the 2 or 1 test route. At that point I may be scoring well on the CCNA practice test.

I'm tired so forgive me.
    Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.
    Just a heads up. If you are required to take the CCNA for WGU, you have to take ICND1 and ICND2 separately. They are considered separate courses, so you can't take the single test approach.

I am currently in the BSITSec program and am actively studying for ICND2 followed by IINS for the CCNA:Security.

Last two exams I need.
    fabostrong wrote: »
    Currently I don't have a book. I've failed the CCENT twice and both times I got like a 750 or something. The labs and subnetting is where I was the weakest so I'm trying to improve on those first and then I'll do more of a complete review before I test again.

Fabostrong, if you are struggling with subnetting, google Seven Second Subnetting. His approach saved my ass more than a few times.
    Thanks for the update.

I will probably switch to the Network Operations course as anything with hyper convergence and cloud in it will be more beneficial to the future of my career IMO.
  • Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□