part-time after hours jobs

dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
Anyone know of a site or even how common it might be to find part-time after hours IT jobs? I was thinking about picking something up for the winter months to make a little extra and to work on a few different things besides what I do now. I am not interested in leaving my job yet but know I will be in a year or two. Maybe a business is re-doing their network or infrastructure after hours or on weekends. Wouldn't mind getting a little cloud experience, vmWare or something different than what I do now to help my resume for my next job search. Checked Indeed but not seeing anything. Very vague descriptions.

Comments

• JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    There are definitely sites out there for that, but honestly the best advice I've seen on that topic here was to instead pour all of that time into upping your skills and getting certs to propel your career (and pay with it). I followed just that advice when I was seriously considering doing something extra to pick up more income, and I was able to increase my pay far beyond what part time income would be. If you're interested in cloud then go learn AWS and pick up some of the AWS certs. Same thing with VMware. Getting those skills and certs should help in landing a job paying much more than part time work. Unless you have the bandwidth to pour into doing a second job AND studying, that's the route I would take.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Not wanting to leave my job yet. There are only a handful of jobs within 50 miles of me (literally) and any job I take would be at least an hour commute. I currently work from home and would like to try to ride this out as long as I can. Hoping to find something local or remote a few days a week in the meantime. Even with the CISSP I can't find anything around here. When I do an Indeed search for CISSP within 25 miles with no timeframe filter there are only 6 results. Expanding that to 50 miles gives 77 results. If I change the timeframe filter to last 15 days there are 15 results for both 25 and 50 miles but I suspect that is an error as there are more results for the last 15 days than there are for no timeframe.

Anyway, all the training and certs in the world would still likely result in at least a 50 mile commute. Hard to give up that full time remote job! In 2017 I have completed the CSA+, taken the Cloud+ beta, got the Solarwinds SCP and Nessus Fundamentals certs and none of those created more local jobs icon_lol.gif. Thinking my next cert will be CCSP.

Just figured if I can work a few months this winter after hours or weekends I could pay off a few of my smaller student loans and gain some experience in the process.
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sounds like you need to move to a better market.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Might be better to get a non-IT part-time job. to help with that. I have a solid tier-3 engineer working for me that also has a part-time job in retail. He needs the money (divorce) and likes the lack of stress. If working on your skills isn't an option for whatever reason and the IT options are minimal, there's nothing wrong with a shift delivering pizzas.
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I suggest non IT related. Something with arriving and leaving on time.
    I'm also looking for a part time job, night cleaning jobs are usually a few hours for a few days a week.

I would also check out web hosting companies.

Liquid Web and A2 Hosting have remote positions the last time I checked. You'll need Linux skills though.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dhay13 wrote: »
    . . . In 2017 I have completed the CSA+, taken the Cloud+ beta, got the Solarwinds SCP and Nessus Fundamentals certs and none of those created more local jobs icon_lol.gif. Thinking my next cert will be CCSP. . .

What is the Nessus Fundamentals cert, if you don't mind me asking? Do you mean the one on Cybrary?
    I'm pretty sure you don't mean the one Walmart offers icon_lol.gif
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tenable-Nessus-Fundamentals-Technology-Training-Course-Self-Paced-Lecture-Lab-Video-On-demand-ILT-TRAINING/177911990
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
    dave330i wrote: »

You got that right! My son graduated from college last year and bought a brand new car in February (4 miles on it when he left the dealer) and it now has about 14,000 miles on it. He drives 40 miles one way and that is about the closest I can find anything.

The part-time job would be more for the experience than for the money so I would only be interested in IT related jobs. Might even consider some volunteer stuff. Just figured if I could get paid for it then all the better.
    yoba222 wrote: »
    What is the Nessus Fundamentals cert, if you don't mind me asking? Do you mean the one on Cybrary?
    I'm pretty sure you don't mean the one Walmart offers icon_lol.gif
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tenable-Nessus-Fundamentals-Technology-Training-Course-Self-Paced-Lecture-Lab-Video-On-demand-ILT-TRAINING/177911990

Yes, the one on Cybrary. Not really a cert I would count but still a cert nonetheless...lol
  • EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I had someone recommend Geeks on Call to me a few years ago. It's basically computer repair where you drive out to the user's house. I never ended up applying to the company, but my buddy had good things to say about it. It doesn't sound like that's the type of work you're looking for, but it'd be IT at least.
  • FayzFayz Member Posts: 118 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would recommend fieldnation.com. You work as a freelancer on IT projects. Thing is most of the projects are during daytime hours in my location. You can check it out and see if it works for you.
    Thanks. Will check that out. Not looking for PC repair type stuff. Did more than enough of that than I care to think about...lol. I have set up networks, domains, etc., just haven't done it for a few years but wouldn't mind getting more experience with VMWare and cloud. I have an ESXi 6.5 server here at home (was 5.5 until I upgraded it). I know the basics but figured doing a little side work wouldn't be a bad idea.
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    dave330i wrote: »

100%

And people who complain about jobs who aren't willing to make this commitment get no sympathy from me.....

Had to do it twice, Rock Island ILL and Rochester MN
    100%

And people who complain about jobs who aren't willing to make this commitment get no sympathy from me.....

Had to do it twice, Rock Island ILL and Rochester MN

Not as easy to do with a family. They are more important to me than any job.
  • xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466

Yeah, do not pay attention to them. Some people put money and career ahead of their priority list(cannot fault them), some of us put different priorities like faith, family and country for example are my top 3.

Either way, if money isn't a issue and you just want pure experience, how about contributing to open source projects?
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
  • ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    actually instead of getting a part time job.... focus on building skills that will get you a BETTER job. Because you will have two jobs and a little more money, BUT you will not have time for SELF STUDY or growth. What I learned is to get better, you have to put the time in. Unless you REALLY need the money, I would suggest you study like that is your part time job. The money you make will be far more then working two jobs.
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
    ITSpectre wrote: »
    actually instead of getting a part time job.... focus on building skills that will get you a BETTER job. Because you will have two jobs and a little more money, BUT you will not have time for SELF STUDY or growth. What I learned is to get better, you have to put the time in. Unless you REALLY need the money, I would suggest you study like that is your part time job. The money you make will be far more then working two jobs.

^^^^ Actually not a bad idea, do you know how to program yet? Maybe take a community college CS class. Do you have a degree? Build a home lab?
    Reading
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Getting a part-time job can provide an opportunity to improve skills and then get a better job. Say, they're doing helpdesk full time and catch a part time job where they can do way more stuff on windows server. Having that opportunity for experience is great so then after a while that person can go ahead and apply for a job that pays more. Plus, 'reading up' on things that share information to cover objectives for certifications during work hours can help as well. Just gotta find a way to make that work out.

There are different ways to handle this situation so it's going to have to come up to the OPs decisions. We're just providing options/advice to work things out.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
    ^^^^ Actually not a bad idea, do you know how to program yet? Maybe take a community college CS class. Do you have a degree? Build a home lab?

Exactly.... you have to invest in yourself. many think that getting a second job is the way to go and its really a drawback. There is nothing wrong with getting a non IT second job for extra money. But life is like a bank.... if you don't put anything IN you can't take anything out.
    If you want to learn networking, have cloud experience, etc... You can do all that at home!!! Build a cloud server for your home.... Build onto your home network...

There are plenty of ways to learn new things to elevate your IT career. Codeacademy, pluralsight, cybrary.it, cbnuggets, linuxacademy, etc.... the list goes on.... there is plenty of knowledge here too.

Im not against getting a part time job.... But I dont think its going to benefit you if you get a part time job just for the money.
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
    Yeah, do not pay attention to them. Some people put money and career ahead of their priority list(cannot fault them), some of us put different priorities like faith, family and country for example are my top 3.

Either way, if money isn't a issue and you just want pure experience, how about contributing to open source projects?

Au Contraire......

How does faith, family and country correlate with moving to a different city for better employment.....

And does spending additional time AWAY from the family working a side job sound like family is first?
    How does faith, family and country correlate with moving to a different city for better employment.....

You have Faith that you will get the job
    You have family (co workers)
    country (where you live)

But all in all Family always comes first.... because without them there is no faith or country.
  • Daneil3144Daneil3144 Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□

I have a family too...but, my wife and child is moving with me.

Can yours not do the same?
    Au Contraire......

And does spending additional time AWAY from the family working a side job sound like family is first?

Owning a home and having a mortgage is one on top of my head. Being in a good school district in a good neighborhood is another. Family having a support system, family and friends in your current city or how about the tow your family from moving every few years just to name a few. Some people just want to plant roots and are tired of moving. What if your other half has a career in the area as well? I just thought of all these in less than a minute so I'm sure there are better reasons.

So yeah, might be you have less opportunity to get the pay you want, so you have to be creative. I don't think you should settle on uprooting your family just to gain experience and more money.
    Reading
    Au Contraire......

I would say the biggest motivators for moving is career progression and/or pay.

Once again, I'm not knocking anyone for that.
    Reading
    My lady would move with me for a better job....
    if your lady can't or wont then that is a bigger issue icon_lol.gif
    ITSpectre wrote: »
    My lady would move with me for a better job....
    if your lady can't or wont then that is a bigger issue icon_lol.gif

I could only speak from personal experience, but I'm sure other people could relate. My other half is miles ahead of me in their professional career than I am and it would not make sense for them to leave their career at this point.

It's not a easy decision and I'm just trying to point out there are a lot of other factors than just "move" to a better job market.
    Reading
  • Daneil3144Daneil3144 Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Family having a support system, family and friends in your current city or how about the tow your family from moving every few years just to name a few.

He's getting a part time job. He wont have time for friends. I'm missing the biggest reasoning for not moving. I just don't see it.

I guess growing up with a military family in a military town, I have a different point of view.

There's no reason for me to live down the street from my mother for the next 40 years. Who are you living your life for?
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□

What's the problem with moving with a family? People do it all the time. Of course, there could be issues if your spouse makes more, but if you are the primary breadwinner, it's a discussion that needs to be had.
    Sorry things aren't adding up for me......

Maybe I should just excuse myself from this conversation. Ultimately it's up to the individual, God I would hope no one would criticize anyone for their career decisions. If OP wants to stay, then stay.

I'm just not going to emphasize with someone who doesn't try to take care of themselves..... IMO that means sometimes moving when you have too. I consider the family as a unit, spouse, children if any, dogs etc... That would be the nuclear family and if they remain together then that's fine.

Besides I find mother, fathers and in-laws cause as much trouble as they solve.
    Wife isn't the issue. My kids are grown and on their own and I have a granddaughter (and likely a few more down the road). I don't want to miss out on that and obviously they aren't going to drop their careers to move with us. If they were younger and still at home then this discussion may be going differently. I am approaching 50 and picking up and moving is a little more complicated at this age.

Yes, have a B.S. in IT and an ESXi 6.5 server at home. The issue is almost every interview I have been on I am asked how many years of experience I have with this or that. I explain that I have done it in my lab and read up on it and got a cert in it but they want hands on experience and I have been told that a few times. Figured since I will be sitting around all winter being bored I could make a few extra $$$ and get some of that experience along the way. Sure I could lie about my experience but I won't do that. Seems like you can't get those jobs without that hands-on at a paying job, at least around here. I could move 20 miles closer to the city and that would be fine and cut my future commute in half but for now I am happy with my current job and plan to stay here another year or two. At that point I may move but not ready just yet. And this isn't about money. I make enough to be comfortable. Just never hurts to have a few extra dollars in your pocket while learning along the way.
    Sorry OP, didn't mean to derail, I do standby learning programming and contributing to open-source projects.
    Reading