Bittersweet

NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
Hey guys,

I've been looking for a new job, for awhile now. A job that is close to my home and be still in aerospace.
I came from almost a 30% increase after getting my CCIE. Today I accepted the offer after negotiating. It is a 50% bump from my current salary. Several things that I learned.

1. It takes a lot of work to get where we want to be.
You have to sacrifice years of studying and free time to get there. You wont get there right away as soon as you get the certs or learned how things really worked. However, when an opening pop up, you have to take a risk and take it.

2. Dont wait for the employers to see your value.
IMO i have IE and MS. I didnt ask for a bump. I just hope something will change. So I looked outside and applied. Other companies will see a value from you. Waiting at your current job for a 2-3% raise is a scam. Dont let yourself get fkd.

3. Bittersweet - I told my employer the new offer and I knew they could not match it. I feel sad since I love the work, the team, and the company. Sweet since the new company will pay for the top secret clearance and I get a big bump. IE, MS and TS clearance should put me to a different level. I can demand something big after I get that clearance.

4. Be true to yourself. The money is there. Never stop studying.

-K

Comments

• NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thank you for sharing your advice. I am very happy for you. Congratulations!
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • shimasenseishimasensei Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thank you for the advice. Congrats also.
    Current: BSc IT + CISSP, CCNP:RS, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:RS, CCENT, Sec+, P+, A+, L+/LPIC-1, CSSS, VCA6-DCV, ITILv3:F, MCSA:Win10
    Future Plans: MSc + PMP, CCIE/NPx, GIAC...
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The best time to look is when you aren't particularly interested. I know a guy whose contract was ending and was going to be moved to another location. He didn't want to hop companies so when the new firm asked what it would take for him to come over he gave an impossible number and they said no thanks. A couple of months later they come back and offer him that number.

The money is there for those who work at it and make themselves desirable in the marketplace.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on the new role, 50% bump is awesome! It's a shame that most companies don't see the value in keeping their current staff happy and in place. Many of them don't realize how valuable their team is until they try to replace them and then then find themselves going, "damn, we thought it was crazy they wanted 50% more to stay, but it turns out new hires want 50% more too!"
  • Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Wow! That's awesome. I get not wanting to leave your old place. I had a job I really enjoyed with people I really liked but at the end of the day money is still money and it was time to go. Congrats on your new endeavor.
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats Ninja!
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • ksijurksijur Member Posts: 89 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations! GG!
  • jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    ...Dont wait for the employers to see your value...
    -K

There are always organizations willing to pay for great talent. Unfortunately, it's up to that person whether to pursue that opportunity.
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It depends on your goals to be honest, with that said congrats on your new gig. I know you work hard and in doing so have developed a lot of skills.

Well done.
  • KoreKore Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!! That is awesome, a 50% bump is no small feat.
  • coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations on the new job!!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congratulations! Don't forget to enjoy life too and don't bury yourself with textbook and be chasing after money
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Well done and perfectly put!!! I 100% agree!! I did that myself recently!

Is MS=Masters degree? I thought your CCIE would give you more ROI?
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• NEODREAMNEODREAM Member Posts: 124 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations, a top secret clearance is amazing! Way to go!
    Goal: eJPT Mar. 2020 | GDAT May 2020 | eCPPT Dec. 2020
  • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    Well done and perfectly put!!! I 100% agree!! I did that myself recently!

Is MS=Masters degree? I thought your CCIE would give you more ROI?

Thanks guys. I think CCIE is the king of ROI. The Masters is good to use for those HR filters and negotiation.
    Lets say you counter offer and you demand this XXX amount of money. You can use your Masters as one of your negotiation Ace cards to say Im worth this much.
  • mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I've been looking for a new job, for awhile now. A job that is close to my home and be still in aerospace.
    I came from almost a 30% increase after getting my CCIE. Today I accepted the offer after negotiating. It is a 50% bump from my current salary. Several things that I learned.

1. It takes a lot of work to get where we want to be.
    You have to sacrifice years of studying and free time to get there. You wont get there right away as soon as you get the certs or learned how things really worked. However, when an opening pop up, you have to take a risk and take it.

2. Dont wait for the employers to see your value.
    IMO i have IE and MS. I didnt ask for a bump. I just hope something will change. So I looked outside and applied. Other companies will see a value from you. Waiting at your current job for a 2-3% raise is a scam. Dont let yourself get fkd.

3. Bittersweet - I told my employer the new offer and I knew they could not match it. I feel sad since I love the work, the team, and the company. Sweet since the new company will pay for the top secret clearance and I get a big bump. IE, MS and TS clearance should put me to a different level. I can demand something big after I get that clearance.

4. Be true to yourself. The money is there. Never stop studying.

-K

Great post Noc-Ninja
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)
  • Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So much congrats!!
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congratulations man, thata awesome news! And 50% damn thats even better. Can you share the actual salary though? I'm always curious what other people in the IT field make. Not sure why people still see the salary as taboo. If not here maybe on a PM?