business degree getting a help desk job

waspe3waspe3 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm a recent grad moving out of accounting into IT trying to get a entry level job in general IT. Right now I'm studying for the CCNA R&S and Security after, plus taking a bunch of open course-ware certificates on coursera, edx, etc. I pretty much have 1 year as an accounting intern at a tech start up, income tax preparation work, and other customer service type jobs.

Long-term I'm interested in info sec related stuff like pen testing or reverse engineering malware. I'm reading Black Hat Python and Hackers Playbook 2 just to orient myself to see if I'd like it to begin with. Then I'm looking at GIAC certs later on if it plays out.

Any tips on resume building, job titles I should be applying too, comments on my current cert path, and likeliness on breaking into the industry would be nice.

Thx.

Comments

• mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Start with the basics and get your CompTIA A+ for that entry level role. If you try applying for higher end roles without the experience, your resume will just get tossed.

For pen testing Security+ > CEH > OSCP
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    waspe3 wrote: »
    I'm a recent grad moving out of accounting into IT trying to get a entry level job in general IT. Right now I'm studying for the CCNA R&S and Security after, plus taking a bunch of open course-ware certificates on coursera, edx, etc. I pretty much have 1 year as an accounting intern at a tech start up, income tax preparation work, and other customer service type jobs.

Long-term I'm interested in info sec related stuff like pen testing or reverse engineering malware. I'm reading Black Hat Python and Hackers Playbook 2 just to orient myself to see if I'd like it to begin with. Then I'm looking at GIAC certs later on if it plays out.

Any tips on resume building, job titles I should be applying too, comments on my current cert path, and likeliness on breaking into the industry would be nice.

Thx.

Apply for help desk roles. You need experience in IT before you can jump into the security field.

Here's a link for resume editing:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/113891-resume-writing-resources.html

You can always post your resume on Tech Exam with all with all your personal info removed for review( think companies worked at,phone number,education ect)

Hope this helps!
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    waspe3 wrote: »

Thx.

Hey there, I was in your position about 4 years ago now. Associates in Management, no IT experience and looking to break in. Keep working on certs, keep applying, applying, applying and applying for those entry level jobs. I got my first job with no experience, the AS in Management, A+ & ITIL Foundations and some luck.

MSP's are good for hiring entry level, pay won't be the greatest but that is how it goes at first.

Edit: Also, advice for the "hunt". Take EVERY interview you can now, even if you don't like the job offered. Interviewing is a skill that can only be honed by doing it, and a good interview can take you from where you are now to that first job.
  • waspe3waspe3 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    mikey88 wrote: »
    Start with the basics and get your CompTIA A+ for that entry level role. If you try applying for higher end roles without the experience, your resume will just get tossed.

For pen testing Security+ > CEH > OSCP

I was thinking about the A+ cert, but I ended up buying the CCNA ciscopress books so I'm working with that right now. I might get the A+ after I pass the CCENT, but I'm not sure yet.
    Apply for help desk roles. You need experience in IT before you can jump into the security field.

Here's a link for resume editing:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/113891-resume-writing-resources.html

You can always post your resume on Tech Exam with all with all your personal info removed for review( think companies worked at,phone number,education ect)

Hope this helps!

I'm applying for level 1 help desk roles, pc technicians, desktop support analyst, application analyst, and stuff like that. I'm pretty confident I'll get some call backs soon. I think my resume is written pretty well, but I will post it in the forums and get a second eye from you guys, that sounds like fun lol.
    --chris-- wrote: »
    Hey there, I was in your position about 4 years ago now. Associates in Management, no IT experience and looking to break in. Keep working on certs, keep applying, applying, applying and applying for those entry level jobs. I got my first job with no experience, the AS in Management, A+ & ITIL Foundations and some luck.

MSP's are good for hiring entry level, pay won't be the greatest but that is how it goes at first.

Edit: Also, advice for the "hunt". Take EVERY interview you can now, even if you don't like the job offered. Interviewing is a skill that can only be honed by doing it, and a good interview can take you from where you are now to that first job.

That's reassuring man. Back in college I was about to switch majors to business technology management, and I wish I did, but you gotta work with what you got. I hope that working at a tech start up, plus my VBA, SQL, and all the business software stuff I've used pans out because that's what I'm counting on lol. Especially until I get some cert under my belt soon.

MSP's as in third party IT companies? Yeah I've applied to those as well, got some calls from some Indian dudes that I couldn't tell were legit or not. Also, I'm applying to field service jobs like cable technicians in major telecom companies in my city and hopefully move laterally there or something.

It's interesting how you mention the 'hunt' too. I'm a new grad and although I'm confident presenting in front of a crowd, interviews just knock me down a peg. The whole inexperience thing is definitely true on my part, hopefully I can overcome that sooner rather than later. Cuz I need a new job ASAP!!!
  • TexasITguyTexasITguy Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I got a job with an msp with a background in law enforcement and just an a+ cert. It took me 7 months to find a job, but if you hang in there something with come.