Fat

coldbugcoldbug Member Posts: 189
I came across this question while I was doing Sec+ practice exams. I learned these File Systems on A+ but I don't know why it popped out in the Sec+ since it has nothing to do with IT Security. Anyway, is this the wrong answer they had given because I thought all OS support FAT 32..not FAT.

Which of the below are file systems that can be used on windows Operating System?

A. FAT

B. FAT32

C. NTFS

D. ext4

Answer : A
"If you want to kick the tiger in his ass, you'd better have a plan for dealing with his teeth."

Comments

• NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    FAT32 is just a version of FAT
  • PhalanxPhalanx Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    FAT is the 16-bit version of FAT32.

Also, I'm not sure that question might be quite accurate. They don't mention which version of Windows. Windows 10 natively supports NTFS, FAT (16,32,ex) and ReFS, for example.

As for installing it, you would need NTFS.

Why is it a security related question? NTFS permissions.
    Client & Security: Microsoft 365 Modern Desktop Administrator Associate | MCSE: Mobility
    Server & Networking: MCSA: Windows Server 2016 | MTA: Networking Fundamentals
    Data Privacy & Project/Service Management: PECB GDPR DPO/Practitioner | ITIL 2011: Foundation | CompTIA Project+
    Currently Studying: Microsoft 365 Enterprise Administrator Expert
  • jibtechjibtech Member Posts: 424 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Honestly, I think the question was probably which filesystem CANNOT be used on the Windows Operating System.

The answer would be D: ext4.
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    jibtech wrote: »
    Honestly, I think the question was probably which filesystem CANNOT be used on the Windows Operating System.
    I agree...best practice is to use NTFS on Windows and I can’t imagine anything to do with Security recommending anything but NTFS.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    To be nitpicking, Windows NTFS cannot be read on Windows 95 or 98. FAT can be read on all versions of Windows
  • PseudonymPseudonym Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Phalanx wrote: »
    FAT is the 16-bit version of FAT32.

Also, I'm not sure that question might be quite accurate. They don't mention which version of Windows. Windows 10 natively supports NTFS, FAT (16,32,ex) and ReFS, for example.

As for installing it, you would need NTFS.

Why is it a security related question? NTFS permissions.

Don't forget EFS encryption.
    Certifications - A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, ITIL v3, MCITP:EDST/EDA, CCNA R&S/Cyber Ops, MCSA:2008/2012, MCSE:CP&I, RHCSA
    Working on - RHCE
    To be nitpicking, Windows NTFS cannot be read on Windows 95 or 98. FAT can be read on all versions of Windows

That is part of why I think the question was intended to be NOT usable on a Windows OS. No matter the version, ext4 is not usable on a Windows OS. icon_smile.gif
    That is part of why I think the question was intended to be NOT usable on a Windows OS. No matter the version, ext4 is not usable on a Windows OS. icon_smile.gif

Not natively. ;)
    Client & Security: Microsoft 365 Modern Desktop Administrator Associate | MCSE: Mobility
    Data Privacy & Project/Service Management: PECB GDPR DPO/Practitioner | ITIL 2011: Foundation | CompTIA Project+
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    coldbug wrote: »
    ... since it has nothing to do with IT Security.

You may want to rethink this statement and make sure you never make such a comment in an interview or other business setting. NTFS security features (file level permissions, encryption, etc.) are GIANT compared against FAT.
    Phalanx wrote: »
    Not natively. ;)

Nope. Not opening that can of worms. If CompTIA certs required knowing everything that COULD be configured.... holy hell.
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Nope. Not opening that can of worms. If CompTIA certs required knowing everything that COULD be configured.... holy hell.
    Actually...you could just start off every response with “technically” or “officially” and you are good.
  • coldbugcoldbug Member Posts: 189
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    You may want to rethink this statement and make sure you never make such a comment in an interview or other business setting. NTFS security features (file level permissions, encryption, etc.) are GIANT compared against FAT.
    I did not notice any of these File Permissions on any of Security+ materials I have been studying. Yes. I did kind of forget about the Encryption within the file system.
    "If you want to kick the tiger in his ass, you'd better have a plan for dealing with his teeth."
    I went ahead and looked it up. According to the Sybex Cert Guide, issues around FAT, FAT32 and NTFS are covered under OS Hardening, which is part of Objective 4.3.

Aside from testing baseline knowledge, the exam also covers the "convert" command, as applied to FAT and FAT32. Effective use of the convert command requires a solid understanding of the three filesystems (FAT, FAT32 and NTFS), why you would convert, how you would convert what the results of the conversion would be.
    Interestingly, Windows 10/Server 2016 now supports encryption on FAT32! Little tidbit for you all. :)
  • deadjoedeadjoe Member Posts: 24 ■■■□□□□□□□
    exFAT anyone?

Regardless, NTFS has security features such as: permissions, auditing, file encryption... FAT is a poor choice with regards to security, a basic file system with zero security features.
  • coldbugcoldbug Member Posts: 189
    I went ahead and looked it up. According to the Sybex Cert Guide, issues around FAT, FAT32 and NTFS are covered under OS Hardening, which is part of Objective 4.3.

Aside from testing baseline knowledge, the exam also covers the "convert" command, as applied to FAT and FAT32. Effective use of the convert command requires a solid understanding of the three filesystems (FAT, FAT32 and NTFS), why you would convert, how you would convert what the results of the conversion would be.
    I think this thread pretty much covered what I needed to know for the exam lol. Thanks guys.