Certification Goals for end of 2017 and through 2018 - anyone have WCNA?

MuddlesMuddles Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
Note: Just some random ramblings here :P

So, the original plan was to have my Wireshark certification done by mid October - however did some procrastinating and decided to push it off until after my vacation which is for two weeks starting at the very end of this month.

I have already gone through the Global Knowledge week long class in August, I am just needing to go over a few more details in Laura's study guide book along with her practice questions/scenarios.

I was curious to see if anyone currently has this exam and what they thought about it. Also, in regards to the maintenance I know you have to re-take the exam every 3 years, however it is required to get 20 "Continuing Education" credits each year as well. What does that consist of exactly?

As for 2018 - the goal is to obtain the F5 certification early within the year. I have already started studying for this and plan on getting the INE downloadable/streaming class - does anyone have any thoughts on that particular one?

Towards the end of 2018, I am not exactly sure yet what I should look in to.. maybe not even go for a certification exactly but expand my knowledge in the cloud/security (whether checkpoint or cisco specific) areas. I will worry about these first 2 exams before I put too much thought in to that.

Comments

• E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Achieved my cert goals this year - GCIA and CISM. Now my goal is to improve my Dutch and land on my feet during our re-org which is starting soon. I was interested in doing another ISACA and GIAC offering next year, but I'll let my next role determine that.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Wow, thanks for pointing out the existence of WCNA to me. I'm considering doing this cert sometime next year for sure now.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • MuddlesMuddles Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    yoba222 wrote: »
    Wow, thanks for pointing out the existence of WCNA to me. I'm considering doing this cert sometime next year for sure now.

It is a pretty neat track and very practical when it comes to having to troubleshoot networking issues along with assisting in locating security vulnerabilities. I was a bit surprised there was not a dedicated sub-forum for it.. but eh.. guess thats what we have the "General certifications" section for. :P
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I saw this certs a few time ago.. I find it very interesting. But there is no market recognition...

My goal for now is CISSP. I am ready to schedule for it in 2-3 month for the last study sprint. I really need to schedule it because I will always postpone it lol. Then in April 2018, they will release the new version.. and the wheel will start again...
  • MuddlesMuddles Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I saw this certs a few time ago.. I find it very interesting. But there is no market recognition...

My goal for now is CISSP. I am ready to schedule for it in 2-3 month for the last study sprint. I really need to schedule it because I will always postpone it lol. Then in April 2018, they will release the new version.. and the wheel will start again...

Yeah, there might not be a ton of companies that look specifically for the WCNA in the hiring process, more so just a bonus - good to have under your belt. It happened to be one that my employer recommended that I tackle this year.. so I will never say no to paid training and exams. :P

Haha, Yeah believe me I am the master "I will put this off for just a little longer".. definitely have to get those scheduled. You just have to dig deep until you truly believe in yourself and then knock it out!
  • ashevillemikeashevillemike Member Posts: 6 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So what have you used for study materials? I've watched the free videos on the Wireshark site and I would love to have access to all of them but $700 is much too steep of a price for me.
    I want this just for the knowledge that it will bring. I feel like Wireshark is a much underutilized tool for network troubleshooting.