Much content overlap in CCNA CyberOps and CISSP?

NuclearBeavisNuclearBeavis Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
For those who have done both certs, how much overlap did you find in the content? Or in other words, how much would one help with the other?

Comments

• NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would be surprised if you found many people with the CISSP that went and got the CCNA CyberOps. Don't really see the worth there myself.

(And not gonna see people that got the CyberOps then their CISSP because it is so new)
  • NuclearBeavisNuclearBeavis Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would be surprised if you found many people with the CISSP that went and got the CCNA CyberOps. Don't really see the worth there myself.

(And not gonna see people that got the CyberOps then their CISSP because it is so new)

I was reading through the scholarship thread and saw a number of people with CISSP listed who signed up. I was kind of surprised, but I guess they were bored.
  • GeekyChickGeekyChick Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was wondering the same thing myself. I just finished Cyber Ops and I'm starting to study for the CISSP. I have noticed it seems like there is some overlap, how much I don't know yet. Since I just started studying I've found most things in the CISSP aren't new to me at least not yet. I would love to hear what others have to say.
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    To CISSP? There is some type of overlap with every security certification and the CISSP...the CBK hits on almost every topic/domain so it would be hard for there not to be crossover.

Generally, you have people getting CCNAs either without the wide experience to get a CISSP or you have CISSP people who want a little more technical knowledge. It is different than a Security+, which is just a baby version of the CISSP (conceptual knowledge)....you won’t see a CISSP backtracking to get Security+ almost 99% of the time.
  • mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Having done both CCNA Security & CISSP, I can say that CISSP is way more geared towards policy & management.
    CCNA material is for a different role - there might be someone out there who has both, but at different points in their career. Cyberops is a new track for Cisco so it would likely be someone who is changing focus in their career in the last 6 months or so - probably not too many people have done that combination.

CISSP is like the 20000 ft view of the terrain, where CCNA is more like a 5000 ft view (or less.)
    CISSP holders would know about cyber security operations, and people with CCNA Cyberops would usually be the ones to actually perform the operations with Cisco gear.
  • fitzlopezfitzlopez Member Posts: 103 ■■■□□□□□□□

icon_redface.gif I'm doing the CyberOps. I'm finding it a great refresher for the basics, networking was not one of my strong domains on the CISSP exam. The CISSP is "an inch deep and a mile wide" so getting a little deeper on that domain works for me.

About the overlap, well I'm in the current cohort so I haven't finished the videos. Right now I see a lot of overlap but with more networking focus and it's more hands on. So I'm liking it, but I'm going to have to study, it still looks like a hard exam for me. Being more hands on and less "knowing IT security". Oh and it's focused more on the SOC guys.

And well it was free...so .
  • ivyvaldivyvald Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    fitzlopez wrote: »

And well it was free...so .

100% Why I'm doing this. The cert itself will probs provide no real value for me, but the refresher is always good & it's free through the Cisco scholarship program. I'm part of Cohort 5.