Options

Management Role

Hi Guys,

I haven't been here for awhile. But, i'm back!!!. I have over 10 years experience in IT. Just recently got my MBA. And, i really want to transition into management role. Management folks here, how do one break into it?.

Thanks,
James

Comments

• Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What sort of management do you want to do? Operations (tier 1/2/3) management? Architecture? Development management? Project management? Director/executive? Someone ready for the last wouldn't be asking that question but it might be what you aspire to.

It's been said that management is a lot like sales, someone who can do it, can do it anywhere. So, how are your leadership skills? How good are you at reading people? Making small talk? Starting and maintaining professional relationships outside of the people you work with on a day-to-day basis? Have you read a book related to management or leadership (or the skills they need, like finance) in the last year? Taken a class?
  • Options
    jamesbrownjamesbrown Member Posts: 216
    EANx wrote: »
    What sort of management do you want to do? Operations (tier 1/2/3) management? Architecture? Development management? Project management? Director/executive? Someone ready for the last wouldn't be asking that question but it might be what you aspire to.

It's been said that management is a lot like sales, someone who can do it, can do it anywhere. So, how are your leadership skills? How good are you at reading people? Making small talk? Starting and maintaining professional relationships outside of the people you work with on a day-to-day basis? Have you read a book related to management or leadership (or the skills they need, like finance) in the last year? Taken a class?

I would like to go into IT Manager\Director level position. Even if I have to start from IT Operations, it’s okay. Currently, I manage our SCCM environment. I also do training and recommending solutions to management and business users. I am still working on leadership skills and learn ways on how to read people. I am currently reading How to have confidence and power in dealing with people. One of my MBA instructor recommended it for me. My original question is more about how do one move from engineering role to management role?.
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Great, but I noticed you didn't respond to a majority of my question. If you want to be a director, you need to be in the habit of answering everything a VP asks.
  • Options
    jamesbrownjamesbrown Member Posts: 216
    EANx wrote: »
    Great, but I noticed you didn't respond to a majority of my question. If you want to be a director, you need to be in the habit of answering everything a VP asks.

i did not know how to respond to the questions because i just haven't thought about those things. I will keep that in mind starting tomorrow. thanks for your advise.

james.