Palo Alto Cert? Training?

Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
Curious if many here have gone for / have the PCNSE (Palo Alto Certified Network Security Engineer)? My company uses Palo extensively and I have not really done much outside learning in this area but security has always been an intriguing topic for me. I would also like to become much more familiar with Palo in general. I have also found a lot of leaning and skillset building for me has come from following cert tracks / training. Cisco is very good with that and this is why I thought it might not hurt going for something like this.

My company has a Routehub subscription where it looks like I can pick up A LOT of training videos from (I will be starting there). However being such a Cisco silo'd guy I am not really sure what / were the good training content is for Palo.

Any suggestions for training? Also just looking for some general discussion surrounding the cert since there isn't a dedicated forum for Palo, which I am surprised about being such a big player in the Industry.
Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
"Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi

Comments

• down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    The routehub subscription would be a good start but I'm guessing you would prefer to have some hands on access and not just watch videos. If attending one of the official 5 day courses is out of budget then take a look at the following:

https://www.stanly.edu/node/1176

Many TE members have great things to say about their VMware training course. While I do not have first hand experience with the Palo Alto class, it's at least worth a look
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I used the routehub course when I was studying for my PCNSE. It's really good, in my opinion.

You may also want to check out this Udemy course. I purchased it but haven't watched the whole thing. https://www.udemy.com/palofirewalls/

See if your company will spend to get you a lab license (virtual appliance). The udemy course covers using PAN on AWS, so there's another labbing option

These courses don't cover PAN OS 8 though. There's new features, but it's mostly the same though.
    If you decide to get the Udemy course, don't pay $95. You can easily google for a Udemy coupon code :)
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The Udemy course you indicated is on sale right now for $10. Not sure how much longer it be at that price as the page indicated only 5 hours left.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just got the Udemy course. Still $10. Thanks for the suggestion on that. Also for labbing how does one generally set that up? Looks like it's via a VM?
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • supasecuritybrosupasecuritybro Member Posts: 206 ■■■■□□□□□□
    So do you manage the Palo Altos or you work in a company with them and you want to learn so you can move into security?
    Completed: CISSP, GPEN, GWAPT, CCSA R80, eJPT, CySA+, M.S. Information Security
    Current Goal: CCSE
    Continuous Education Plan:​ AWS-SAA, OSCP, CISM
    Book/CBT/Study Material:​ Max Power
    Just got the Udemy course. Still $10. Thanks for the suggestion on that. Also for labbing how does one generally set that up? Looks like it's via a VM?

I use the VM-100 that came with the lab license. It's over $600 though.
  • mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    stryder144 wrote: »
    The Udemy course you indicated is on sale right now for $10. Not sure how much longer it be at that price as the page indicated only 5 hours left.
    Udemy often runs "specials" like this - I'm not sure if it's just a way to attract new business, it might be something as simple as not having a browser cookie, ie "first time visitor" or haven't browsed there in a while.