Updated Course Requirements for VCP6-DCV / VCP6.5-DCV Certification

karl578karl578 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Wondering if anyone here can shed some light on some conflicting information I've been receiving.

Recently came across the following: CCC&TI Home

However other Community Colleges offering the ICM course have informed me that taking the ICM is a still a valid path to VCP6-DCV certification.

I'm confused. Will anyone taking the ICM course now find themselves unable to become certified without additional courses?

Comments

• majorpaynemajorpayne Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I really need to know this information finishing up this stably course and now it seems like I wasted $200 .
  • scott28ttscott28tt Member Posts: 686 ■■■■■□□□□□
    VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP5 / VCAP4-DCA / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012
    Blog - http://vmwaretraining.blogspot.com
    Twitter - http://twitter.com/vmtraining
    Email - vmtraining.blog@gmail.com
  • sacredboysacredboy Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    karl578 wrote: »
    Wondering if anyone here can shed some light on some conflicting information I've been receiving.

Recently came across the following: CCC&TI Home

However other Community Colleges offering the ICM course have informed me that taking the ICM is a still a valid path to VCP6-DCV certification.

I'm confused. Will anyone taking the ICM course now find themselves unable to become certified without additional courses?
    Have you got any official information in this regards?
    Best, sacredboy!
  • kj0kj0 Member Posts: 767
    Just tweeted Karl Childs to see if he can shed any light on this. Sounds like Stanly don't know about it at present.
    2017 Goals: VCP6-DCV | VCIX
    Blog: https://readysetvirtual.wordpress.com
    i emailed vmware, so we will see
  • cshkurucshkuru Member Posts: 246 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I checked the vmware website and it says any one of the courses listed.
    Looks like a bullshit without any reference to the official source.

Guys, if something is found please post it here.

Thanks.
    Best, sacredboy!
    Usually a change like this would be on VMware blogs as an announcement and posted a few times on social media.

My guess is that college has looked and misread.
  • junilinuxjunilinux Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This looks like important to anyone queueing up with Stanly CC for VMware course, I am waiting for an official confirmation
    cshkuru wrote: »
    I checked the vmware website and it says any one of the courses listed.
    Those web pages don’t make any reference to the processes that students must undertake when taking their training with a VITA such as Stanly or CCCT&I.
    Emailed to VMware and SCC to clarify this issue.
    Will keep you updated.
    Best, sacredboy!
    Email from VMware:
    As I understand, you need information on VCP6-DCV certification.

Please be informed, there are 4 requirements for an IT Academy student to meet before they can become certified:

1) Attend the ICM v6 course
    2) Attend the Optimize and Scale course
    3) Pass BOTH exams: Foundations Exam and 2V0-621PSE version exam using the academic specific exam voucher distributed by your instructor (*only after completing both of the courses*) - we will accept the regular version exams as long as you have taken both courses.

NOTE: VMware will not certify a candidate that attends just one of the above courses at an IT Academy and then passes both the standard (non PSE versions) of the vSphere Foundations and VCP6-DCV exams.

IT Academy instructors know the above information and are required to convey to all students. If you feel that this information is incorrect or that you were not informed of all of these requirements, you will need to do the following:

1) Email your IT Academy instructor and ask him/her to go to the IT Academy HelpDesk and open up a new “Any certification or myLearn issue” ticket

2) In the ticket the instructor must verify you completed the requirements listed above and include their name, email, and phone number so VMware can contact you.

If you have any further queries, please provide us your convenient time and the best phone number to contact you so that we can call you back and assist you better or please reply to this email with the subject line intact or call us Monday through Friday referencing this Case Number and we will be happy to assist you.

Please let me know in case you need further assistance or confirm the closure of the Support Request.
    Looks to me that i just wasted $200 on stanley. I am going to try to get my money back because i don't think Stanly CC has a Optmize and scale course.
  • cshkurucshkuru Member Posts: 246 ■■■■□□□□□□
    scott28tt wrote: »
    Those web pages don’t make any reference to the processes that students must undertake when taking their training with a VITA such as Stanly or CCCT&I.

Yeah well, since it's their program and their webpage I would say that shortcoming falls on VMware. Their email also doesn't specifically address Virtual Academies just academies in general. Even their email is incorrect in claiming instructors have been notified and are required to inform students since there are people in this thread enrolled in a course, certified by VMware, and they weren't notified. I don't want to impugn VMware by saying this is a BS cash grab, I'm sure it is all about quality of instruction and maintaining the value of the cert, just like the no selfstudy option, but it was sure rolled out poorly.

I just emailed vmware again and complained to them about the communication to the virtual it academies. I feel like all virtual it academies just got put off-guard by this and now people enrolling might not properly get the correct training.
    I do think VMware should include more VITA (VMware IT Academy) information on their website, they have a lot of information about classes delivered by VATCs.

I don't think there's a distinction between a "virtual academy" and "academy in general" - a VITA is a VITA, whether they offer a virtual class or not. Virtual classes have to meet certain criteria to be approved as qualifying, but that does not impact anything discussed in this thread.

VMware may well have informed VITAs and their instructors, I don't know - I am an employee, but not part of the certification group.

Seems to me like VMware are pushing VITAs to offer Optimize & Scale as well as Install Configure Manage classes - the smart VITAs will if they don't already.
  • karl578karl578 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Response from VMware. I asked when the new requirements would take effect:

Hello Karl,

Please be informed that there is no confirm date till now. It will be effective from mid of jan. Once the date is released it will be communicated with all students.

Warm Regards,
    @karl That is interesting response, i kinda knew that their would be different responses to that question. But i guess i will just finish this ICM course, complete the foundations exam and see what to do about the real exam later.

Scott, i was trying to decipher the differences in Optimize and scale course vs ICM. Can you shed some light on that ?
    Thanks.
    Thank you for contacting VMware Education Support.

As I understand, you need assistance on VCP6-DCV Certification.

Please be informed, in order to get the VCP6-DCV Certification, you need to follow the below path:
    1: Complete the Optimize and Scale Course from the IT academy.
    2) Pass BOTH exams: Foundations Exam and 2V0-621PSE version exam using the academic specific exam voucher distributed by your instructor (only after completing both of the courses)

NOTE: VMware v.6 Install, Configure, & Manage (ICM) course is optional

VMware will not certify a candidate that attends just one of the above courses at an ITAcademy and then passes both the standard (non PSE versions) of the vSphere Foundations and VCP6-DCV exams.
    IT Academy instructors know the above information and are required to convey to all students. If you feel that this information is incorrect or that you were not informed of all of these requirements, you will need to do the following:
    1) Email your IT Academy instructor and ask him/her to go to the IT Academy HelpDesk and open up a new “Any certification or myLearn issue” ticket
    2) In the ticket the instructor must verify you completed the requirements listed above and include their name, email, and phone number so VMware can contact you.

Please let me know in case you need further assistance or confirm the closure of the Support Request.
    1) It really looks like money spent to Stanly course is nothing but wasted money.
    2) I'm gonna cancel my VMware certification plan. Too complicated requirements, lack of information, and at the end of the day all this story is very frustrating.
    Best, sacredboy!
    Could someone please explain this. On the official website it is written:
    I was replied with this
    Please be informed, in order to get the VCP6-DCV Certification, you need to follow the below path:
    1: Complete the Optimize and Scale Course from the IT academy.
    2) Pass BOTH exams: Foundations Exam and 2V0-621PSE version exam using the academic specific exam voucher distributed by your instructor (only after completing both of the courses)
    So, eventually, what I am required to complete to be eligible for VCP6-DCV certification? One of the listed courses + 2v0-621 or Optimize and Scale course + 2v0-621 PSE?
    Best, sacredboy!
    @sacredboy Honestly, i hate to say it but i feel like the best chance to ensure you do the path right is
    1. official listed course + 2v0-621
    or
    2. ICM + Optimize and scale course + 2v0-621 PSE ( i feel like regardless what regional institutions say , VMware probably will only let you certify if you took both courses ) I feel like this change isn't in full effect yet but it will be soon
    @ majorpayne, hell yeah mate. Seem all this virtual courses are nothing but a huge bullshit. Will try to get my money back though realize my request can be refused by SCC.
    Best, sacredboy!
  • STANLY_CCSTANLY_CC Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hello All:
    We are aware that there are changes coming from VMware to the VMware IT Academy Program. As of right now, there are no changes that will affect any student currently enrolled with us through the end of 2017. We are working with VMware to get documentation about the changes to you as as possible. As soon as we receive official notification we will post the info here and on our website.
    -Stanly CC
    @stanly_cc thanks appreciate the response.
    STANLY_CC wrote: »
    Hello All:
    We are aware that there are changes coming from VMware to the VMware IT Academy Program. As of right now, there are no changes that will affect any student currently enrolled with us through the end of 2017. We are working with VMware to get documentation about the changes to you as as possible. As soon as we receive official notification we will post the info here and on our website.
    -Stanly CC
    Hi Stanly CC,

Question: I' nearly done with fall ICM course that according to the curriculum is finished on 3 December. I am just wondering if I will be eligible for VCP6-DCV certification (I mean if my VCP6-DCV will be valid if I pass it), and if YES then what version I should take? VCP6-DCV or some VCP6-DCV PSE which I have no idea what is it?

Thanks.
    Best, sacredboy!
  • adml_shakeadml_shake Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'd like to know what the difference is between the exams.

This whole things annoys the s*** out of me to no end. It's like they are just going out of their way to make the whole thing more complicated and cost prohibitive for people who's workplace won't pay for the class.
    There should be some leeway with those doing the course. I haven't heard from Karl Childs about it, but when they brought in the new pricing scheme back in April, they gave some leeway for those already in the process.

However, until we have a definite answer (hopefully an announcement) we can only speculate, and we should just focus on completing the certificate and deal with it when it comes.
    Just another update to people: This change will not impact now. It will be effective tentatively in the mid of January, 2018 and all the IT academies will be communicated about the change.

Since, you have already enrolled for the ICM v6 course, you can go ahead and complete the course. This will be considered for VCP6-DCV certification. However, please make sure that you take the correct Exam. Any candidate who completes courses in IT academy must pass the PSE version of VCP6-DCV exam, Exam Code will be 2V0-621PSE.

I found the exam 2V0-621PSE, i registered for mylearn.vmware and then went to Register exam , then View Exams, and then Private Access
    PSE Exams (Private Access Only) , i am going to finish my stanly course and take foundations and the below exam.

[TH="align: left"][/TH]
    [TH="align: left"][/TH]

2V0-621PSE
    VMware Certified Professional 6 - Data Center Virtualization Exam

2V0-622PSE
    VMware Certified Professional 6 - Data Center Virtualization (6.5) Exam

@majorpayne, thnks mate for this info.

Guys, does anybody know what the difference between PSE verions and regular one, 2v0-620 and v0-620PSE?
    Best, sacredboy!