Help with study material for MCSA Server 2016

sdeyoungsdeyoung Member Posts: 109 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm looking to start studying for 70-740, 70-741 & 70-742. I'm going to start with 70-740 and was wondering if anyone can suggest courses, books, study material to help me get ready for the test. I'm currently looking at udemy.com and they have a couple of courses related to that exam. There's tons of books so I'd like to hear from people who have already passed and what they used to get ready. My current employer will pay for most of the training material as well.

Comments

• malachi1612malachi1612 Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    sdeyoung wrote: »
    I'm looking to start studying for 70-740, 70-741 & 70-742. I'm going to start with 70-740 and was wondering if anyone can suggest courses, books, study material to help me get ready for the test. I'm currently looking at udemy.com and they have a couple of courses related to that exam. There's tons of books so I'd like to hear from people who have already passed and what they used to get ready. My current employer will pay for most of the training material as well.

When I was studying for my 70-740. I used the MS Ref Book as no other book was available at the time. CBT Nuggets and Pluralsight videos.
    Certifications:
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP, Azure Fundamentals, Security+.

• sdeyoungsdeyoung Member Posts: 109 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CBT Nuggets and Pluralsight seems to be the consensus. Thanks malachi1612! :)
    When you say the MS books you mean the green ones?
    When you say the MS books you mean the green ones?

Yes but the Sybex books are now available.
    Certifications:
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP, Azure Fundamentals, Security+.

Do you think I'd be ok with Pluralsight and those books? CBT Nuggets could get expensive.
    PluralSight seems to be more in depth so I go with that and a book.
    Certifications:

That's what I'll do! Thanks again.
  • metaloadermetaloader Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I Passed my 70-740 1 month ago, I used the Microsoft Ref book and Measre UP.
    Know your powershell.
  • poolmanjimpoolmanjim Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    metaloader wrote: »
    Know your powershell.

You couldn't be more right. Microsoft is pushing Powershell even harder on the 2016 exams than they did on the 2012 exams.

The biggest piece of advice I could offer is learn the base cmdlet syntax for a topic.
    For example, you need to set the IP Address on an interface. You find out that New-NetIpAddress will accomplish that. Go and lookup Get-Command -Noun "NetIpAddress" to see the other cmdlets like it. This gives you a list of the cmdlets with that naming context. You can pretty easily know what does what from there. You also see the Source which tells you which Powershell module is in play. You can do a Get-Command -Module TCPIP (the source given previously) and find all cmdlets in that source. Look for the ones that are relevant to the exam topic. Now you have a study guide. :)

Know the difference between New-* and Add-*. Also know when you can use New-* or Add-* to do something initially but you may need a separate command to change that later instead of just doing Set-*.

Lastly, know the commands used to setup a solution and to do basic troubleshooting on a solution. This will provide the workflow you need to do some of the build-list style questions.
    2019 Goals: Security+
    2020 Goals: 70-744, Azure
    Completed: MCSA 2012 (01/2016), MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure (07/2017), MCSA 2017 (09/2017)
    Future Goals: CISSP, CCENT
  • bhcs2014bhcs2014 Member Posts: 103
    Green Microsoft books and Ignite Exam Prep videos. Watch these and take notes on everything mentioned before taking the exams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8zWO8rij4s&t=3031s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CmTTLxbLmQ&t=1839s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tABTHe24b_Q&t=7s
    metaloader wrote: »
    I Passed my 70-740 1 month ago, I used the Microsoft Ref book and Measre UP.
    Know your powershell.

So you're saying that the exams focuses heavily on PS?
    bhcs2014 wrote: »
    Green Microsoft books and Ignite Exam Prep videos. Watch these and take notes on everything mentioned before taking the exams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8zWO8rij4s&t=3031s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CmTTLxbLmQ&t=1839s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tABTHe24b_Q&t=7s

Can I use the MS books and these videos alone? Do these videos cover everything I need to know? I'm planning on setting up a test environment at home to apply what I learn.
    I was going to sign up for Plurasight and use the green books. Would this still be sufficient?
  • poolmanjimpoolmanjim Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So you're saying that the exams focuses heavily on PS?
    Yes, they are heavy with Powershell.
    2019 Goals: Security+
    2020 Goals: 70-744, Azure
    Completed: MCSA 2012 (01/2016), MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure (07/2017), MCSA 2017 (09/2017)
    Future Goals: CISSP, CCENT
  • bhcs2014bhcs2014 Member Posts: 103
    Can I use the MS books and these videos alone? Do these videos cover everything I need to know? I'm planning on setting up a test environment at home to apply what I learn.

The videos give a general idea on what to expect on the exams. It's a good thing to review them before exams.

The MS books and those videos is what I used. I labbed what I could using Windows Server 2016 instances on AWS.