Best way to gauge knowledge?

TuningislifeTuningislife Member Posts: 49 ■■■□□□□□□□
Greetings all.

I am looking for the best way for me to gauge the knowledge I already have of the material on the CEHv9 exam.

This could be practice tests that are actually close to the test material, or something similar.

I have spent multiple years breathing InfoSec and do CTFs in my spare time, so I am familiar with a lot of the material, I just want to try and determine my weak spots. My issue with some of the practice exams is that the material they have on them is literally something that I will not see on the exam, but is something that was randomly in a book. I took the official CEH courseware a few years back and have 3/5 of the books. I also have the Sybex v9 book. I am just curious on other's experiences with materials to see what is suggested.

Thank you :)
Completed: B.S. & M.S. in Cybersecurity, and MBA @ UMUC

Comments

• McxRisleyMcxRisley Member Posts: 494 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If you have as much experience as you say you do, then just go take the test. It was the most underwhelming experience of my life and soon will be for you as well. I recently participated in the beta for the new exam and it's even worse than the v9 as far as quality goes.
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
  • TuningislifeTuningislife Member Posts: 49 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have a voucher I got for ProctorU, that cost me half of the normal cost (due to taking EC Council course through the University). I am just extremely overly paranoid about failing. I close my eyes when I click submit on exams. lol. I went and took the A+ recently with basically only doing a once over of practice exams from TestOut, and took both tests back-to-back with no issues and passed with barely a sweat. One of my CTF team partners told me I should be able to take the CEH with no issues, but I really have a lot of self doubt icon_sad.gif, just my nature. That's all. I just want to be confident going in, verifying that I know the material.
  • McxRisleyMcxRisley Member Posts: 494 ■■■■■□□□□□
    IF you have been doing CTFs and actually understand what youre doing, you will do just fine. I see so many people on this forum stressing out over this exam and it is by far the easiest exam I have ever taken.
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Also for all of my certification, I plan the budget for a retake, and I allow myself to fail, it help reduce the stress of the exam. Most of the time, I am writing it with success and I take the occasionnal failure as a learning event.
    Yea, I am not sure what the retake cost would be. I know it was like $200 for this voucher because of the discount. Certs like AWS and Microsoft I was not too worried about because the cost of the cert was $150. When you have certs that are $600+, I tend to worry a bit more.
    Did the CEH Assessment Exam today...

[h=2]Acceptable. For a muggle. You scored 70%[/h]
    So I might be semi-prepared.
    Well that was anti-climatic.

Apparently my voucher is expired. Would not know until I had already started the process with ProctorU.

ECCouncil's site says vouchers are only good for 1 year, but when I got the voucher, it said it didn't expire.

Now I get to fight EC-Council. Yey /s
  • Info_Sec_WannabeInfo_Sec_Wannabe Member Posts: 428 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Also for all of my certification, I plan the budget for a retake, and I allow myself to fail, it help reduce the stress of the exam. Most of the time, I am writing it with success and I take the occasionnal failure as a learning event.

I hope I can have this mindset (not really due to the exam failure, but rather me shouldering the exam cost). icon_moneyeyes.gif
    X year plan: (20XX) OSCP [ ], CCSP [ ]