Spelling skills - do we need them anymore??

shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
Is it just me OR am I seeing things on TE?? Well, being over 40 your eye sight will always start to fail you.

I see it "on the daily", mainly misspelled words. icon_lol.gif Try "RE-READING" your post before you post. Though, I have noticed you cannot edit the Title after posting on TE (what's up with that Moderators??)

Perhaps the urban dictionary is their go to dictionary or have they resorted to shorthand/sms skills.

Anyways, not impressed with it at ALL.

Thank you, please drive thru, Cheers & Hi5! icon_cool.gif
CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP

Comments

• McxRisleyMcxRisley Member Posts: 494 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Ain't nobody got time for spelling when they are studying for certs
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    When we call people out on this they get all defensive. I just hope they don't write that way in their business environments.
  • PhalanxPhalanx Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My God, I cringed all through that video. The urge to slap people who use the word "ain't" is just overwhelming.
    Client & Security: Microsoft 365 Modern Desktop Administrator Associate | MCSE: Mobility
    Server & Networking: MCSA: Windows Server 2016 | MTA: Networking Fundamentals
    Data Privacy & Project/Service Management: PECB GDPR DPO/Practitioner | ITIL 2011: Foundation | CompTIA Project+
    Currently Studying: Microsoft 365 Enterprise Administrator Expert
    Phalanx wrote: »
    My God, I cringed all through that video. The urge to slap people who use the word "ain't" is just overwhelming.

LOL well I would STRONGLY advise you not to visit the US then. In all seriousness though, this forum is probably not the best place to be a grammar ****, especially around Christmas. C'mon man!

EDIT: apparently you can use the term that refers to a certain political party that used to be in power in Germany lol
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
  • PhalanxPhalanx Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey, I didn't start the thread! Direct yourself to the others. ;)
    Client & Security: Microsoft 365 Modern Desktop Administrator Associate | MCSE: Mobility
    Server & Networking: MCSA: Windows Server 2016 | MTA: Networking Fundamentals
    Data Privacy & Project/Service Management: PECB GDPR DPO/Practitioner | ITIL 2011: Foundation | CompTIA Project+
    Currently Studying: Microsoft 365 Enterprise Administrator Expert
    That second half wasn't directed at you :) only the first half about not visiting the US lol
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    When we call people out on this they get all defensive. I just hope they don't write that way in their business environments.

I try to proof read what I write, but I miss spelling and basic grammar all the time. Nothing irritates me more after I send a Skype message or an Email at work, notice errors after I send it. Everyone makes mistakes, I even see managers send out emails with errors, just try to keep them to a minimum.

If I make a spelling or grammar error here, please point it out to me. I'm not too proud to admit what a dumb ass I am.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    shochan wrote: »

He obmitted some basic facts. Usage of the "ain't" word has prerequisites before your legally allowed to use it. You must meet one of these conditions to use the word "Ain't"

1. Live in a mobile home.
    2. Dropped out of high school.
    3. Be the proud member of society that benefits from this America's welfare program.
    4. Have a child before graduating from high school.
    5. Be homeless.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    OF COURSE we do!! GRRR.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
    TechGromit wrote: »
    He obmitted some basic facts. Usage of the "ain't" word has prerequisites before your legally allowed to use it. You must meet one of these conditions to use the word "Ain't"

1. Live in a mobile home.
    2. Dropped out of high school.
    3. Be the proud member of society that benefits from this America's welfare program.
    4. Have a child before graduating from high school.
    5. Be homeless.

Well pretty much everyone I work with uses that word and the funny thing is, none of them meet those requirements lol
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I primarily post from my mobile phone on here. I’m more prone to have a mistype on my phone because I’m looking at the onscreen keyboard instead of the text box where I’m typing. I tend to not proofread on here because I just don’t care bout a typo on here. At work I tend to read my emails 2 - 3 times before I send them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Of course you have to remember irreguardless and whatnot! ;)
  • joshuamurphy75joshuamurphy75 Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i Ain't n3ver leanred no pslelling. How R we suppsed 2 cume op with dcent p4ssw0rds if we spell ->?
  • NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    McxRisley wrote: »
    LOL well I would STRONGLY advise you not to visit the US then. In all seriousness though, this forum is probably not the best place to be a grammar ****, especially around Christmas. C'mon man!

EDIT: apparently you can use the term that refers to a certain political party that used to be in power in Germany lol
    I have been known to be a Grammar ****....it comes from being an editor of a newspaper when I was in college...

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have been known to be a Grammar ****....it comes from being an editor of a newspaper when I was in college...

I worked as a technical writer and editor for many years. It still bugs me when I see misspelled words or bad grammar, but I'm not going to edit you unless you pay me.
    tedjames wrote: »
    I worked as a technical writer and editor for many years. It still bugs me when I see misspelled words or bad grammar, but I'm not going to edit you unless you pay me.

I like this guy lol