elearn Threat Hunting

2»

Comments

• EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What weight would you be talking about?

There are some positions asking for the eCPPT but not a lot.
    There is some over lapping knowledge between what eLS provides along with other vendors.

I'm a little confused as to where the 'no weight' came in from.
    A search on Indeed for ecppt returns five job postings across the entire US, four if you don't count eLS's own job posting. So you're not technically wrong, because four qualifies as "some," but really, four job postings across the country? That's nothing.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I'm not sure if you neg repped me in retaliation but as an FYI I always sign my negative rep, so it wasn't me.
  • McxRisleyMcxRisley Member Posts: 494 ■■■■■□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    I'm not sure if you neg repped me in retaliation but as an FYI I always sign my negative rep, so it wasn't me.

Nope, I don't do the rep system on here but If I did I would have signed it like you did to me :) I was just stating what I said and I even agreed with with you, why would I give you negative rep? lol

EDIT: I got another negative rep saying "you better start caring" LOL
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
  • Lyman.rylendLyman.rylend Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am interested in getting into Threat Hunting. I work for a large Bank in the UK and am tired of doing IT support.
    I am tossed between the SANS London in March and Elearnsecurity's course. I know that the Elearnsecurity is online and this SANS course is in person.

Anyone know the Threat Hunting background of the instructor? The instructor of SANS course I am looking at is an Incident responder, manager, and developer at GitHub.
  • vynxvynx Member Posts: 153 ■■□□□□□□□□
    you can take a look the instructor in https://www.elearnsecurity.com/course/threat_hunting_professional/
    I am interested in getting into Threat Hunting. I work for a large Bank in the UK and am tired of doing IT support.
    I am tossed between the SANS London in March and Elearnsecurity's course. I know that the Elearnsecurity is online and this SANS course is in person.

Anyone know the Threat Hunting background of the instructor? The instructor of SANS course I am looking at is an Incident responder, manager, and developer at GitHub.
  • EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□

SANS is definitely the better choice, without a doubt. They have the best quality training, and industry recognition.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■

If you are talking about SEC511 then I highly suggest you take the course if possible. I took it and learned a ton of stuff. It was honestly the most fun I've had in a course (and I've taken a ton of courses). The days are long, but you'll come out ready to start in the threat hunting business. Plus everything they covered was open source. The eLearn course material looks pretty good and it definitely appears to be a good introduction (maybe a bit more), but if you have the shot at SEC511 then I'd take it.

I always argue for in person classes whenever possible and SEC511 is a beast.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • supasecuritybrosupasecuritybro Member Posts: 206 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Company paid for the course. I am finishing up the eCPPT and then starting this one since my lab time is dying in June for the eCPPT. I would like to have finished the Threat Hunting first but I have been into the Buffer Overflows and shell coding now so I do not want to stop the momentum. I will update as I get started.
    Completed: CISSP, GPEN, GWAPT, CCSA R80, eJPT, CySA+, M.S. Information Security
    Current Goal: CCSE
    Continuous Education Plan:​ AWS-SAA, OSCP, CISM
    Book/CBT/Study Material:​ Max Power
    Couldn't help myself and went through some material just to see what is going on in there.

Initial Impressions:

The documentation has a lot of information and it is building from a ground up approach. I believe at first glance that this course is good for someone wanting to get into the Blue Team side. Some of the topics are very much beginner level explanations to get everyone on the same page. I saw some of the topics further down and I noticed that some of it gets into the weeds but nothing too deep from I could see right away.

I believe this course is going to give me the knowledge I would like without the 6K investment into the SEC511, which I would LOVE to do, but I cannot afford. Also, I have seen some part of the thread where you can piecemeal a lot of this information without going into a course per say, but I like to have it one place. For me it works, since I am a father to a 1 and half year old and another on the way. Time away from home or spending hours putting this stuff together is not realistic for me.

I will circle back once I get into it. I will start my own thread when I get into it in the first part of the year.
  • vynxvynx Member Posts: 153 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Company paid for the course. I am finishing up the eCPPT and then starting this one since my lab time is dying in June for the eCPPT. I would like to have finished the Threat Hunting first but I have been into the Buffer Overflows and shell coding now so I do not want to stop the momentum. I will update as I get started.

you mean your company paid for THP ?
    Yes, I got the previous student discount of 40% so they decided to pay for it since it would go in hand with what I am currently working on. I might just do this THP course since the material is not as deep and I can probably finish it before the end of January.