Options

Spare GMON pratice exam anyone?

ARGHturARGHtur Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
I just did my second practice test, 10 days after my first and only improved by 1%...
I improved on all points lagging since the first test... but my brain must have stopped working after all that studying... Studying during xmas season is annoying... anyways I felt that this test was a lot more difficult, I felt that It tried to trick me rather than letting med answer normal questions.
So if anyone has a spare test lying around I could really use it... before my real exam on Tuesday..

thanks and happy holidays..

Comments

• Options
    Never mind :D... just passed the GMON improving my pratice test score by 15%... guess I was just tired... time for a holiday vacation!
  • Options
    GirlyGirlGirlyGirl Member Posts: 219
    What is your opinion on it?

I was looking at it I just don't see many hits on job boards. GIAC has 20 certifications. They'll probably have one or two more by the end of this week.

I kind of cater my certifications to what a potential employer may want. Just curious as to your opinion
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congratulations.
    GirlyGirl wrote: »
    What is your opinion on it?

I was looking at it I just don't see many hits on job boards. GIAC has 20 certifications.

I think it's because a lot of the GIAC certifications are fairly new. There are only about 1,300 GMON certification holders, Compare that to something like the GCIH which has 25,000+ certifications holders and 100,000 for the CISSP. It will be some time before GMON is works it's way into the HR job posting descriptions. More employers are becoming aware of GIAC certifications, so having one is certainly beneficial, even if an employer isn't aware all the different types of GIAC Certifications currently available. Some of the job postings I see simply say GIAC certifications preferred / desirable.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I complete SEC511 and have the GMON certification. The course is all about hunting for threats on a network and honestly the industry is moving more towards hunting. I found the course to be very good and it overlaps with some of their other courses thus giving you an idea of what you might want to deep dive into later. The days are long, but the CTF at the end was some of the most fun I've ever had. At the time my team had the highest score in North America (510 out of 511) and thus second in the world (Germany was the first to get 511). Also got the challenge coin! Long and short, I'd highly suggest taking the course.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    SEC511 was my number 1 choice for which course to take for the work study program when SANS comes to my home town this summer. Heres to hoping I get it!
  • Options
    Thanks!

As TechGromit says... It's a fairly (old) new way of dealing the current threats... based on detection rather than prevention...
    I'm only analyst no. 1306 compared to 11847 on my GPEN...
    But yeah... HR really don't know what kind of technical people they really need, but this cert and skill-set will definitely help you more in the long run rather the eg. CEH (which I also have icon_cool.gif and that gets a lot more recruiter attention than my SANS)
    I took this to improve my SOC and Hunt Team skills and we will see a lot more need for this kind of skill-set in the future and the quicker you learn the more experience you will have the day HR figures out what certs counts :D
    ps. I lost the coin with a score of 510... stupid typo!
  • Options
    GirlyGirlGirlyGirl Member Posts: 219
    Thanks for the feedback.

I am currently in an On Demand course as we speak. Slowly going through the videos, slower than my norm. I am going to do what I never do, milk it out until the end/expiration. Absorb the information then reabsorb the information then do it one or two more times. That is another topic though..

I am torn between the cert though. I have to submit another tuition request for SANS training early 2018. The catch is I want to buy a house. So, it might be more later than earlier or earlier than later. Who knows. The catch is paying out of the pocket, which gets old. Especially when I have to pay out of the pocket for school as well, prior to getting reimbursed. That is another topic though..

SANS has 50,000 beta courses out. I was in a Web Cast and some guy was talking about another course in the making. We can sit here until 2023 and debate how significant every course and cert is on the website. Literally. So, my methodology of looking to see what's on the job boards is really the final approving authority. What is "fun" and what I can use during the interview or discussions to ask for more $money$ is two different stories. Dam fun. I want to be competitive and have a competitive salary. I can't say I have GXXX and they are not even asking for it but I want 5K more than the other guy/gal who has a cert they want icon_lol.gif. I play chess not checkers!

The GMON is on my radar for sure. It is one of the two certifications I have my eye on. Maybe in 2018 I will have a review on it..

Thanks for the feedback. I will keep it in mind.
  • Options
    LWB250LWB250 Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am GMON Analyst #77 (or was that 72?) and worked on this cert and class in the beta stages.

It's a tough one, but it's an excellent overview on threat detection, just as the GCIH is on incident handling. Lots of good tools and techniques.

Sadly, I don't apply it in my current position, but I got a lot out of the class (at a SANS event taught by Eric Conrad, one of the course authors) and found it to be very engaging and on point for the subject matter. While current employers may not list it in job requirements, I don't think you would have a problem presenting the skill set for a hunt team/SOC sort of position.