Passed SY0-401 first try!

N7ValiantN7Valiant Member Posts: 363 ■■■■□□□□□□
Got 827/900, which is MUCH better than what I got with my A+ and Net+(both barely passing). I had purchased the All-in-One exam series, but tossed that aside in favor of Darril Gibson's work after hearing about it here.

I had about a month to study in between classes and an internship, and just barely finished the last chapter yesterday. Took the practice exam of the book yesterday as well, got a barely passing grade of 87%, though I was pretty sleep deprived at that point. The practice exam on this site gave me a grade of 92%.

The Total Seminar practice exam(included with the All-in-One book) gave me a failing grade of 72%, though I believe some of the questions are more hare-brained using what I believe to be invented acronyms that I've never encountered. The results to me would seem to suggest that the actual exam will give you partial credit even if you don't pick all of the correct answers in performance and multiple check box questions.

In any event, I got a very nice pre-Christmas gift that will hopefully give me more appeal to employers.icon_cheers.gif
OSCP
MCSE: Core Infrastructure
MCSA: Windows Server 2016
CompTIA A+ | Network+ | Security+ CE

Comments

• jibtechjibtech Member Posts: 424 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats! Feels good, doesn't it?
  • N7ValiantN7Valiant Member Posts: 363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    jibtech wrote: »
    Congrats! Feels good, doesn't it?
    Yep, at the very least I feel relief that I can take a break from all the cramming for a few months!
    OSCP
  • cemen777cemen777 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!!!
    Please advise what to focus on? What questions? Any crazy one? Any Linux questions? How many total?
    Thanks and Happy Holidays!
    cemen777 wrote: »
    Congratulations!!!
    Please advise what to focus on? What questions? Any crazy one? Any Linux questions? How many total?
    Thanks and Happy Holidays!
    Erm, the ones you don't answer correctly in practice exams.

There are a few in which any 2-3 answers can potentially be the "right" one, but I've encountered those types of questions in all 3 exams. I did not encounter anything related to Linux.

I was given 90 minutes to answer 70 questions, I believe 5 of those were performance questions.
    OSCP
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!!!!
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • MdaudMdaud Member Posts: 46 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So Derril Gbson's book and his online resources will be enough to pass the exam?
    Mdaud wrote: »
    So Derril Gbson's book and his online resources will be enough to pass the exam?
    I didn't use the online resources mostly because they want more money for it. The practice questions are IMO more than enough. Just take the time to go through them, and even if you get them right, read carefully about why the other answers aren't correct. The true gold in the book is that he will explain why it's not the other answers, which helps you get past leading questions the exam might throw your way.
    OSCP
  • cemen777cemen777 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Info_Sec_WannabeInfo_Sec_Wannabe Member Posts: 428 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Awesome job! icon_thumright.gif
    X year plan: (20XX) OSCP [ ], CCSP [ ]
  • SpiegelSpiegel Member Posts: 322 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats! Can't wait to take mine as well.

What is next for you?
    Degree: WGU B.S. Network Operations and Security [COMPLETE]
    Current Certs: A+ | N+ | S+ | Cloud Essentials+ | Project+ | MTA: OSF | CIW: SDA | ITIL: F | CCENT | CCNA R&S | CCNA | LPI Linux Essentials
    Currently Working On: JNCIA-MistAI

2022 Goals: JNCIA-MistAI [ ]
    Future Certs: CCNP Enterprise
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Spiegel wrote: »
    Congrats! Can't wait to take mine as well.

What is next for you?
    Getting that first IT job.
    OSCP