Options

What's the reason for Locking Touchpad?

coldbugcoldbug Member Posts: 189
I tried to Google it, but couldn't find any explanations. The lock that you have to tap on your Touchpad is very annoying. Users ask me why did they put it there? Anyone knows?
"If you want to kick the tiger in his ass, you'd better have a plan for dealing with his teeth."

Comments

• Options
    BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    A lot of people use a connected mouse instead of the touch pad. As your hand rests on the keyboard, it's common with some touch pads to accidentally hit them all the dang time, moving your mouse when you don't want to, clicking in random spots, leaving the text box you're in, etc. It's a convenience feature, but I've never seen a touchpad that's locked by default.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have a coworker who does it because they prefer the eraser head pointer in the center of the keyboard and don't like bumping the touchpad.
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Yeah this happens often on HP Elitebooks, like the ones we use for work.

Peoples' left palm rests on the lock feature.
    two taps in the top left corner locks it. your palm can do this without knowing.
    It unlocks by double tapping the same area (amber light).

I think this can be disabled in the BIOS.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    Yeah this happens often on HP Elitebooks, like the ones we use for work.....I think this can be disabled in the BIOS.

Yup..these are HP Elitebooks. I can't configure the BIOS. It's managed by our HQ in Midwest.
    "If you want to kick the tiger in his ass, you'd better have a plan for dealing with his teeth."
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    coldbug wrote: »
    Yup..these are HP Elitebooks. I can't configure the BIOS. It's managed by our HQ in Midwest.

dang sorry to hear.

We've had a bad run with the Elite books, whether the 12, 14 or 15 inch models.

also the docking stations suck. Im on my 3rd.

Im also on my second battery. this 850 is less than a year old.

we are moving back towards Dell in the near future.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Odd, we have thousands of the elitebooks and they've been OK.
  • Options
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    Odd, we have thousands of the elitebooks and they've been OK.

Lucky!! You guys received the best batch of shipment I guess. Just like we have Fan issues on All In Ones, but all our branch offices' AIOs are fine. Depends on the batch.
  • Options
    x12319xx12319x Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ig you're gaming its really nice to lock it so you dont accidentally push it with your wrist