OSI Layers and their associated Protocols

coldbugcoldbug Member Posts: 189
https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/getting-started-with-lans/osi-and-tcp-ip-model/td-p/2167494

These are very hard to memorize unless you have worked on these before and learn from the experience. However, I found this very helpful table, but it's actually for Cisco Support. Not for Security+ exam. Anyone knows a good site with the similar table, but less Protocols? Thanks.
"If you want to kick the tiger in his ass, you'd better have a plan for dealing with his teeth."

Comments

• tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Use a mnemonic to learn this, like:

Please Do Not Throw Sausage Pizza Away

Or in reverse:

All People Seem To Need Data Processing

That makes it easier to list the layers in order. Then you just have to learn the protocols. It worked for me!
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    If you understand what each layer does then it’s actually not that difficult. I would look back at the explanations for each layer and then the protocols should make more sense.
  • ScyphnScyphn Member Posts: 51 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Or straight from the book: Please Do Not Tell Sales People Anything.
  • brobobrobo Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The link above, provided by coldbug redirects you to wierd marketing site. Dont click on the link and dont trust to anything this guy said.
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    brobo wrote: »
    The link above, provided by coldbug redirects you to wierd marketing site. Dont click on the link and dont trust to anything this guy said.

I clicked on it the other day and was taken to a page with info on OSI. No marketing BS.
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    tedjames wrote: »
    I clicked on it the other day and was taken to a page with info on OSI. No marketing BS.
    Same....but brobo also has 1 post...typical internet spam *****.
  • Bjones1976Bjones1976 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank u for this,
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I ran across this OSI model mnemonics in a Pen Test book the other day, LOL!

Please Do Not Teach Stupid People Acronyms
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP