Security+ 401 or 501?

steelodonsteelodon Member Posts: 103
I will attempt to take either exam in 10 days. Which exam would be better to take? What would be the best method for review? I tool the 301 exam previously but it expired before I could renew it,. I have Network+ that is set to expire in a few weeks. Would it be better to complete CertMaster CE for Network+ and take Security+ later?

Comments

• stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If having the Network+ is essential to keeping your job, then go for the CertMaster CE program for your Network+ certification. If not, then you need to decide if paying the nearly $200 for CertMaster is worth it to you. Definitely cheaper than retaking the full exam but you need to know if it make sense for you. As for Security+, take the 401 as there are far more study materials available for it. No sense taking a bet on the 501 materials when they haven't shown a proven track record yet.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • steelodonsteelodon Member Posts: 103
    stryder144 wrote: »
    If having the Network+ is essential to keeping your job, then go for the CertMaster CE program for your Network+ certification. If not, then you need to decide if paying the nearly $200 for CertMaster is worth it to you. Definitely cheaper than retaking the full exam but you need to know if it make sense for you. As for Security+, take the 401 as there are far more study materials available for it. No sense taking a bet on the 501 materials when they haven't shown a proven track record yet.
    Thanks! I appreciate the response. I believe that Security+ would prove more beneficial to me at this point. I also believe that the voucher would be discounted with an .EDU email address.
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Take the 401! more material and closer to the 301. the new 501 is roughly 25-30% new content.
    A totally different test! No one cares which exam version you took! Tried and tested 401 material exists with more people knowing how the test is. This is the seems to be the consensus.

Sign up for a free 7 day trial at ITProTV and cancel if you don't like it (wont get charged).
    They have amazing content and I recommend them for everyone. I highly recommend the 401 content.
    They also have an accelerated Security+ Course. Right now it seems that you need a quick run through the topics vs from the ground up.
    Use this faster paced one even though it is for 501; the Attacks, threats, crypto and most sections are the same.

If you do plan on going past 7 days, contact their support email. I noticed you mentioned a student email address. They offer a 65% discount for a .edu address which brings it to $20.99 A MONTH!
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • sks.geeksks.geek Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I will be taking this exam (the 401) before the expiration date. I can only imagine what is on the 501.
  • alexkurbanalexkurban Member Posts: 32 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Why you are choosing the 401? Its better than the 501? I am planing to take the Comptia Sec+ and i am searching for info to start study.

I have the Darryl Gybson books, both, the 401 and the 501. What your recomendations?
  • davec8080davec8080 Member Posts: 53 ■■■□□□□□□□
    alexkurban wrote: »
    Why you are choosing the 401? Its better than the 501? I am planing to take the Comptia Sec+ and i am searching for info to start study.

I have the Darryl Gybson books, both, the 401 and the 501. What your recomendations?

401 is not better than 501, but 501 is not better than 401. Pass either, and you are
    "Security+ CE Certified", and that is exactly as it is listed on your resume'

The reason people are saying test 401 (and I totally agree on this point) is that the study material is really high quality/proven and (at this point especially) widely available and CHEAP. It's foolish to spend extra on unproven study material which will make it harder to pass a test which MIGHT get you to the same place you want to be...

The end goal is Security+ 401 has better study material at this point, and will get you to Security+
  • davec8080davec8080 Member Posts: 53 ■■■□□□□□□□
    steelodon wrote: »
    I will attempt to take either exam in 10 days. Which exam would be better to take? What would be the best method for review? I tool the 301 exam previously but it expired before I could renew it,. I have Network+ that is set to expire in a few weeks. Would it be better to complete CertMaster CE for Network+ and take Security+ later?

in TEN DAYS?!?!?!?!? Holy cr....
    401 definitely, nobody would seriously argue with that
    Method for review? Obviously not reading books. You don't have time.
    Video course, choose one:
    1) Professor Messor playlists, free on youtube
    2) Mike Meyers Security+ Total Course. On udemy, usually on sale for about $10-20
    Either one, play it at 1.25 or 1.5 speed, as you need to review fast. Take lots of hand-written notes though.

For practice tests, get the Darril Gibson Android App. Note you should be passing practice tests at least 90% as the practice tests are REALISTIC but a little easier than the actual exam.

Good Luck!

I did a similar cram for 401, but even worse. While I had a whole 3 weeks to study, I really only had like 3 days. My nights and weekends are crammed to the point where it's almost easier to study at work. On test week, I took a day off of work JUST to have time to study, and that was a good percentage of my study time for Security+ this time around That, and I stayed up most of the night cramming the night before the test. Could have got a higher score, but I just simply do not have time to study. Period.

I did manage to skim an entire Meyers book (most of it). Did lots of fast-forward video training. Did as much as I could. Probably spent 20 hours total over 3 weeks, with half of that in the last few days...

The Gibson android app was most helpful.
  • TruekidTruekid Member Posts: 8 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I faced this exact same questions, and searched. In the end it came down to the amount of material that was avaliable for 401. I bought Darril Gibson's book on kindle, and app. Both helped me A LOT. I started with Professor Messer's videos on my commute to work every day. And then read Gibson's book while making flash cards with "Remember this" sections.

I would go for the 401 unless 501 is a requirement for employment.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Exactly as #Skyliner92 says. I use CE to renew my Security +. Thank god training is free where I work.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....