Microsoft 98-365 Study Tech and Q&A

eliphas0eliphas0 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Passed today with 38 Questions and Score of 80.

There isn't much info to go on googling around so hopefully this will save someone else some time.

Q: Is the Exam still available?
A: It was as of Dec, 2017 with no definitive retirement announced

Q: Is still based on Server 2008 and is it valid?
A: Yes and Yes, it is SERVER FUNDAMENTALS, most if not all the same principles apply to 2012, 2016, though there is some specific relative info such as Minimum System Requirements.

Q: Should I sit this exam?
A: That is up to you, if you already have a few years experience working with Microsoft Servers and Active Directory then it might not be very informative for you.

Materials used for Passing

Official MS Guidebook; Windows Server Administration: Essentials by Tom Carpenter. Not the best read by far, I recommend a lot of googling to fill in the gaps.
https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Server-Administration-Essentials/dp/1118016866/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_14_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=MKQSQ7CXNMDGA6DBYQ3C

Official MS Classroom Guide: This one is great for reviewing.
https://www.amazon.com/98-365-Windows-Server-Administration-Fundamentals/dp/0470901829
CBT Nuggets Video by Keith Barker, Keith tends to go off track often but he does a good job explaining things.
No Links for this one, you'll have to find it somewhere.

Udemy MTA: Windows Server Administration Fundamentas: 98-365 Course by Marious Kuriata
The videos are short, to the point and done well. Marious is also attentive about responding to students.
https://www.udemy.com/mta-windows-server-administration-fundamentals/learn
Marious also provides some excellent Quizlet Questions and flash cards.

Official Microsoft Virtual Academy Videos, these are best for reviewing, they are done like these guys are paid by the minute. The quizes are good though.
https://mva.microsoft.com/en-US/training-courses/windows-server-administration-fundamentals-8477

As for my opinion on the exam.
I sat down and saw I only had 38 Questions (not happy about that but seems to be a trend for me) there were about a dozen multi-part questions that clearly stated that each answer counted as One Point.
There was one matching the terms question.
There were a several "If this statement is not accurate, then pick the answer that would make it accurate" So I recommended reading carefully.
There were the typical few questions that seemed to be either complete nonsense or intentionally worded poorly.
The exam in general was a bit stressful due to the poor wording and odd questions.
If you know your stuff you will pass.

Hope this helps.

Comments

• 2fst2ctch2fst2ctch Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the feedback on this exam. I'm looking into taking this exam just to get my feet wet with taking Microsoft Exams again. I'm hoping to take the remaining exams once I get this one out the way.
  • satam55satam55 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've been prepping for the 98-365 exam off & on for a couple months. I'm hoping to take it by the end of this month, so I can focus on the A+ cert

The resources I've used is:

1. Udemy Course that the OP mentioned and the resources included & linked with the course
    2. MVA course that the OP mentioned
    3. ITPro.tv MTA 98-365 course videos
    4. Official MTA 98-365 study guide from Certiport's website
    5. Tom Carpenter's book (Only doing the chapter quizes & maybe the exercises)
    6. Official MOAC book (Only chapter quizzes if I can find the answer key)
    7. Notes I found on a blog.

I gotta agree with the OP on Tom Carpenter's book being the least helpful by far. I'm about ready to throw it in the bushes. The chapter quizzes has way too many questions I'm confident will not help me with the test. Some of the questions are too specific to other Microsoft products that have their own exam.
  • CellshadeCellshade Member Posts: 6 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey there guys I just want to put out that I actually just recently took the 98-365 and my version was actually quite updated. Everything from the interface to the way it was layed out is completely re hauled compared to past mtas that I have taken in the past few months. It actually uses Microsoft Server 2016 as the focus of questioning which was really jarring since all the content including their MVA course focuses on 2008. It wasn't hard to get a good grade no matter what but there was some Microsoft Server 2016 features and interface navigation questions that I didn't know about that I got more then a few questions on.
  • satam55satam55 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Cellshade wrote: »
    Hey there guys I just want to put out that I actually just recently took the 98-365 and my version was actually quite updated. Everything from the interface to the way it was layed out is completely re hauled compared to past mtas that I have taken in the past few months. It actually uses Microsoft Server 2016 as the focus of questioning which was really jarring since all the content including their MVA course focuses on 2008. It wasn't hard to get a good grade no matter what but there was some Microsoft Server 2016 features and interface navigation questions that I didn't know about that I got more then a few questions on.
    I took the 98-365 exam today & can confirm the same thing.