Journey to CISSP

unrealskillz06unrealskillz06 Member Posts: 37 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm starting this to hold myself accountable. I passed the SSCP exam back in November. I thought that I wasn't interested in the CISSP cert but you cant deny its value in the market. I have already read Eric Conrad's Study guide and began to work on FedVTE videos. Wish me luck as I continue to work towards this goal.

Comments

• unrealskillz06unrealskillz06 Member Posts: 37 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So I became antsy and scheduled the test on this yesterday. Somehow I passed. My primary job is a net admin, but a lot of the concepts and terminology weren't new to me. It was definitely a lot more difficult than SSCP. I had a positive feeling when I took the SSCP. The CISSP was a totally different feeling. I was sure that I failed that test. When you combine all of the studying it has probably been 6 months total. I used Eric Conrad's book and fedvte as my primary sources. Shon Harris to supplement areas. DEFINITELY TOUGH TEST!
  • NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Conrad's book is ok as a supplement. I'm using the Sybex book as my primary. The videos on Cybrary are fantastic and you can download the MP3s to listen to in the car. I don't have the time in front of a PC at home to watch the FedVTE videos and I didn't see an MP3 or an MP4 download option there...

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• Falcon56Falcon56 Member Posts: 94 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good job! I remember you posting your original thread a few weeks ago. Surprised you took it as quickly as you did icon_cool.gif

Without violating the disclosure agreement, what was the test like and how many questions were you presented?
  • laurieHlaurieH Member Posts: 109 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck! Its well worth getting - compare the jobs asking for CISSP against those asking for SSCP!
    CCNA - expired
    CISSP - live n' kickin'
    My CISSP study apps
    My CISSP study advice blog
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Falcon56 wrote: »
    Good job! I remember you posting your original thread a few weeks ago. Surprised you took it as quickly as you did icon_cool.gif

Without violating the disclosure agreement, what was the test like and how many questions were you presented?

In my case, I would say that the "Official ISC2 Practice test book" was a very good example of what I got in my CISSP exam. You won't get the same question, but there are not much harder or easier.
    Thanks so much for the heads up, Steve! I am spending the next 4 days with the practice questions.
    Falcon56 wrote: »

I'm confident. Sometimes that bites me in the rear, but I felt like I studied a lot and any additional would be overkill. Plus the recent SSCP exam helped too.

I had the whole 150 questions. It was kind of heartbreaking when I answered number 100 and saw that I had more questions to answer. lol

I think now Im interested in the OSCP. Gives me something else technical to work on....and Im using it as an excuse to buy a new computer.
  • Double00KevinDouble00Kevin Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So what do you guys think about the FedVTE material? I have access to it and keep telling myself that it isn't worth it compared to all the other video series I have access to.........probably more due to the fact that I used Skillport for my Network+ studies way back in the day and I wasn't impressed. Maybe I should give it another go?
    I'm confident. Sometimes that bites me in the rear, but I felt like I studied a lot and any additional would be overkill. Plus the recent SSCP exam helped too.

I had the whole 150 questions. It was kind of heartbreaking when I answered number 100 and saw that I had more questions to answer. lol

I think now Im interested in the OSCP. Gives me something else technical to work on....and Im using it as an excuse to buy a new computer.

Well, I don't think anyone will be doubting you on the OSCP exam :DI'm still very impressed how you took that thing so quickly. I just re-scheduled mine and I am struggling in a bunch of areas. We've seen folks with 150 pass and some fail....guess that is the concept behind adaptive testing, right? icon_wink.gif

Best of luck on your OSCP studies and upcoming exam. I'll be watching for your "I passed" thread in that forum.
    So what do you guys think about the FedVTE material? I have access to it and keep telling myself that it isn't worth it compared to all the other video series I have access to.........probably more due to the fact that I used Skillport for my Network+ studies way back in the day and I wasn't impressed. Maybe I should give it another go?

I didn't think material was too bad when I watched it. Seemed like you were sitting in a very good boot camp IIRC. I got access kinda late and that is the only reason I didn't use it more. I got access thru the Treasury so I'm guessing your mention of Skillsoft and FedVTE means you are federal.

I think you could pass the exam with both resources. If it were me, I think I'd throw Conrad's or the Official Study Guide in the mix as well.

Now you've got me curious....I may go back and look into the physical security and system architecture videos since I am struggling in those two areas.

I enjoyed it in a weird type of way. It reminded me of being in boring classes in school. lol I learn well in those environments though. If you hate being in class and hate hearing people lecture then it probably wont work for you.