Options

ITIL Intermediate Certification - Continual Service Improvement

stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
A week ago I sat for the Intermediate CSI exam, which consisted of 8 questions (scenario-based) that needed to be concluded in 90 minutes. This was my first Intermediate exam and was required by my job.

First, the exam. It was very straightforward. You need to analyze the scenario then choose an answer that best aligns with the scenario. They grade the answers on a scale: 5 points for the answer that best aligned with the scenario, 3 points for second best, 1 point for the third best, and 0 points for the distractor.

Second, the exam platform. I used the PeopleCert exam platform. Very easy to use and the proctor (invigilator) was in Greece and spoke English really well. You will need to have a way of showing the proctor what is around your computer, which needs to be clear of most items. If you get kicked off of the system, through no fault of your own like cheating, the clock will stop until you log back in. This happened several times due to an ISP related issue.

My exam started at 5:30 pm, I went through the steps to show that the area was clear of papers, and was given access to the first question. I pushed the button for access to the first scenario and started reading it...for about ten seconds. Then the scenario went blank and I lost my connection. I reconnected but couldn't proceed forward. My one normal nerve was starting to fray at that moment. The proctor called my phone and we decided that I would find another computer to use. Soooo...I had to find another computer (it was on my desk in another office), set up the webcam, download and install the security software, and get logged back in. This took me until about 6:05 pm. Nerves are starting to snap and my legs are bouncing all over the place.

First question pops back up and I still have nearly a full 90 minutes left...phew! I start knocking out the questions like they are nothing...this is easy. Then that nagging voice in the back of my head starts talking smack...you guys know what I'm talking about. It is the one that said "Whoa! This is tooooooo easy! Slow your roll, buddy! It's a trap!" Dang voices! I got to the sixth question when my connection failed, again! This was getting very tedious. I log off, log back in, and there I was, back at question six. Keep on chugging along. Finished the eighth question and can't believe I was done. I am not one to wait around, questioning myself, so I hit the finished exam button. I think I had a survey but can't remember. I got my score and nearly fell out of my chair! That damn voice in my head was wrong. I nailed seven questions with the full 5 points and one with the second best 3 pointer. 38 total points out of 40, giving me a 95%! Woohoo!

Lastly, I credit a common-sense approach as taught by the Pink Elephant course I took (all intermediate and above exams require a class, virtual or butt-in-seat, before you can take the exam) for helping me pass. The information was pretty easy to understand (Axelos isn't trying to mess with you with their questions and the Pink Elephant information more than adequately covers the knowledge you need) and the strategies that Pink Elephant provides to you are all you need to be successful with the exam. While I have TQM training, I have little to no professional ITIL experience. That said, if I can do it, you can do it too!

On to OSA!
The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me

Comments

• Options
    JugglingRefereeJugglingReferee Member Posts: 49 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for this information! I'm doing the ITIL Practitioner next, which is just the CSI test. This is helpful for me. Do you have any other pointers? Do you have any notes in electronic format that you are willing to share?
  • Options
    Liz GallacherLiz Gallacher Member Posts: 107
    @jugglingreferee - I don't understand your comment as regards the practitioner. It is certainly not just the CSI test. It is very different from the life cycle courses and quite demanding.
  • Options
    NadzzNadzz Member Posts: 70 ■■■□□□□□□□
    stryder144 wrote: »
    A week ago I sat for the Intermediate CSI exam, which consisted of 8 questions (scenario-based) that needed to be concluded in 90 minutes. This was my first Intermediate exam and was required by my job.

First, the exam. It was very straightforward. You need to analyze the scenario then choose an answer that best aligns with the scenario. They grade the answers on a scale: 5 points for the answer that best aligned with the scenario, 3 points for second best, 1 point for the third best, and 0 points for the distractor.

Second, the exam platform. I used the PeopleCert exam platform. Very easy to use and the proctor (invigilator) was in Greece and spoke English really well. You will need to have a way of showing the proctor what is around your computer, which needs to be clear of most items. If you get kicked off of the system, through no fault of your own like cheating, the clock will stop until you log back in. This happened several times due to an ISP related issue.

My exam started at 5:30 pm, I went through the steps to show that the area was clear of papers, and was given access to the first question. I pushed the button for access to the first scenario and started reading it...for about ten seconds. Then the scenario went blank and I lost my connection. I reconnected but couldn't proceed forward. My one normal nerve was starting to fray at that moment. The proctor called my phone and we decided that I would find another computer to use. Soooo...I had to find another computer (it was on my desk in another office), set up the webcam, download and install the security software, and get logged back in. This took me until about 6:05 pm. Nerves are starting to snap and my legs are bouncing all over the place.

First question pops back up and I still have nearly a full 90 minutes left...phew! I start knocking out the questions like they are nothing...this is easy. Then that nagging voice in the back of my head starts talking smack...you guys know what I'm talking about. It is the one that said "Whoa! This is tooooooo easy! Slow your roll, buddy! It's a trap!" Dang voices! I got to the sixth question when my connection failed, again! This was getting very tedious. I log off, log back in, and there I was, back at question six. Keep on chugging along. Finished the eighth question and can't believe I was done. I am not one to wait around, questioning myself, so I hit the finished exam button. I think I had a survey but can't remember. I got my score and nearly fell out of my chair! That damn voice in my head was wrong. I nailed seven questions with the full 5 points and one with the second best 3 pointer. 38 total points out of 40, giving me a 95%! Woohoo!

Lastly, I credit a common-sense approach as taught by the Pink Elephant course I took (all intermediate and above exams require a class, virtual or butt-in-seat, before you can take the exam) for helping me pass. The information was pretty easy to understand (Axelos isn't trying to mess with you with their questions and the Pink Elephant information more than adequately covers the knowledge you need) and the strategies that Pink Elephant provides to you are all you need to be successful with the exam. While I have TQM training, I have little to no professional ITIL experience. That said, if I can do it, you can do it too!

On to OSA!

First Congrats and second thanks for sharing your experience, I will be taking mine ITIL foundation exam through PeopleCert
  • Options
    BupeshBupesh Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on passing the exam. I am going to start my CSI Course in a couple of weeks.