CompTIA PenTest+ PT1-001

mizterkewlmizterkewl Member Posts: 122 ■■■■□□□□□□
So what do you guys think about the new exam? Any suggestions on what you think might be good study material?

https://certification.comptia.org/certifications/pentest

Comments

• McxRisleyMcxRisley Member Posts: 494 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I took it yesterday and as someone who has been a part of an actual accredited red team, the only thing that will help you pass this exam is actual hands-on experience with pentesting. CompTIA really did a good job on this one, props to them and helping bring the CEH to its timely demise.
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
  • NEODREAMNEODREAM Member Posts: 124 ■■■□□□□□□□
    McxRisley wrote: »
    I took it yesterday and as someone who has been a part of an actual accredited red team, the only thing that will help you pass this exam is actual hands-on experience with pentesting. CompTIA really did a good job on this one, props to them and helping bring the CEH to its timely demise.

Agreed, I sat for this back on 2/6 and I was pleasantly surprised with the level of difficulty and depth they wanted you to know certain tools and commands.
    Goal: eJPT Mar. 2020 | GDAT May 2020 | eCPPT Dec. 2020
  • JPBTechJPBTech Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Great info...it sounds like CEH study material would be helpful to review before sitting for this exam. Any other suggestions?
    JPBTech wrote: »
    Great info...it sounds like CEH study material would be helpful to review before sitting for this exam. Any other suggestions?

Actually the CEH material will not help you here. The CEH is not even close to being on the same level as the Pentest+. The CEH is all theory, theory that is misspelled, contains poor grammar and isn't even correct. The Pentest+ is loaded with practical questions that require you to have actually done pentesting or at least done quite a few CTFs.
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
  • connormconnorm Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What study material would you suggest to prepare for the exam? What current certification is most like PenTest+ then?
    Degree: B.S. Computer Information Systems
    Currently Working On: CCNA
    2018 Certs: CAP, C|EH
    Future Certs: PenTest+,
    CySA+
    , CCNA Security
  • technogoattechnogoat Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    looks interesting

I'll keep an eye out for this later on
  • Moldygr33nb3anMoldygr33nb3an Member Posts: 241
    Just took it. As stated previously, it's pretty brutal compared to the CEH. Lots of scripting questions. If you haven't got into programming or scripting, I would tread lightly. Really looking forward to this study material when it is released PASS or FAIL. This is what the CEH should have been.
    Current: OSCP

Next: CCNP (R&S and Sec)

Follow my OSCP Thread!
    connorm wrote: »
    What study material would you suggest to prepare for the exam? What current certification is most like PenTest+ then?

The only certs out right now that would really help with the Pentest+ would be GPEN, GWAPT or OSCP. Maybe some from eLearn would help as well but the first 3 that I listed would be your best bet. A friend of mine who has the GPEN says that it was of the same quality and found it to be exponentially harder than the GPEN(a claim that would obviously be specific to his knowlegde level and also not being allowed to bring notes to the exam).

With that being said, this is not a "read the book and pass the test" type of exam. You will need actual hands on knowledge and experience in the areas being tested on.

I agree, this is what the CEH should have been. That was actually one of my comments I submitted when I finished the exam lol