Down to the wire on negotiations

BrandonT2610BrandonT2610 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all, i'll try to explain my situation quickly and thoroughly in hopes that i can receive some thoughts/feedback.

I am a contractor who is working in a data center as a tech/data center engineer. " title varies by company apparently"

I am coming down to the wire on my contract and have been negotiating on a salary to hire on with my current employer.
I felt my salary offer was low. I have based this off of the added responsibilities that come with this position. " I had been offered full time positions that i turned down recently that were not on call 24/7, had better benefits, were more in line with my career goals etc. As opposed to this position where id be getting away from networking and working more with critical infrastructure, and always on call.

My negotiation was a few more thousand on my salary to stay. They will not budge from the original price. However they will offer a retention bonus of the amount i want on my salary and offer end of year bonuses etc. Does that smell funny to you? The other option is to continue as a contractor until some major projects are completed and continue my search "3-4 months". I am in the interview process with another company who knows my needs, the job is what i want, and has great benefits. Unfortunately that interview process has been long and drug out and i need to make a choice with job A immediately.

How would you handle this? My gut says stay a contractor and hope job b works. Job A isn't somewhere i want to be forever, and the fact that they will do bonuses but not budge salary is bothersome. Job B would be great, however it isn't guaranteed and id hate for this to blow up in my face.

Thanks

Comments

• volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Honestly,
    it sounds like you need to move on from job-a regardless.

And the fact that you
    " turned down recently that were not on call 24/7, had better benefits, were more in line with my career goals etc. "
    tells me everything i need to hear.

Even if job-A had been willing to raise their salary for you.... why would you stay?

Convenience?
    Familiarity?

it sounds like you already have one-foot out the door..... i say go with it!

The retention bonus sounds cool.... but it may come with some kind of "you have to stay with us" clause.
    If that's the case; forget it​.

"The other option is to continue as a contractor until some major projects are completed and continue my search "3-4 months".

I like that option the best :]
    good luck!
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you turn down their offer, be prepared to accelerate your job hunting. I was in that position early in my career and didn't realize it was an "or else" offer. A month after I turned down their offer to become an employee, I was out of work.
  • BrandonT2610BrandonT2610 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I ended up accepting the offer from job A. I ultimately was worried about the repercussions of declining the offer. I'd hate to be out of a job fairly soon.
    I will say i feel bad taking a position i don't want to stick with but i think that will be any position i take until i get more experience and certifications.
    I think my biggest fear now is the retention bonus i will receive. I am going to receive it up front which is great. However if something i truly wanted came up i'd have to return the money "if i leave in a year". I just won't spend any of that money until i know where i need to be.
  • BrandonT2610BrandonT2610 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    volfkhat wrote: »
    Honestly,
    it sounds like you need to move on from job-a regardless.

And the fact that you
    " turned down recently that were not on call 24/7, had better benefits, were more in line with my career goals etc. "
    tells me everything i need to hear.

Even if job-A had been willing to raise their salary for you.... why would you stay?

Convenience?
    Familiarity?

it sounds like you already have one-foot out the door..... i say go with it!

The retention bonus sounds cool.... but it may come with some kind of "you have to stay with us" clause.
    If that's the case; forget it​.

"The other option is to continue as a contractor until some major projects are completed and continue my search "3-4 months".

I like that option the best :]
    good luck!

I do not disagree! It is however incredibly stressful not knowing what tomorrow will bring as a contractor. It takes its toll on you, that's for sure. I think i took the easy way out for now. Hopefully this doesn't blow up in my face.
  • volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You took the SMART way out :]

If job "b" eventually comes through.... do NOT hesitate.

You goota look out for Numero Uno :D
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Don't spend the money of the retention bonus, and if Job "B" or another better job come through.. give them back their bonus and leave. That way you keep your independance. By giving you the bonus upfront, they expect that you spend it, so you will feel obligated to stay. Don't give them this tool on you.
  • josephandrejosephandre Member Posts: 315 ■■■■□□□□□□
    it's not even to "feel obligated to stay". It's that you are obligated to stay, or return the money. It's the entire point and it's in the name. people make it sound so nefarious