CISSP - Failed

the_smirkthe_smirk Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
So today I took the CISSP exam and failed miserably. I dedicated a lot of time studying by reading the Sybex book and watching videos (Cybrary) only to get asked questions that I didn't necessarily study...

Comments

• PeterHandsPeterHands Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sorry dude. What was different about the questions to what you practiced?
    ISC2 CISSP, EC-Council CEH, CompTia Security+
  • roxerroxer Member Posts: 130 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Very sorry to hear that. If you do not mind, could you explain the differences? Since this is a CAT test, there is really no clear idea of what is more testable that what. I hope your next go is a win for you.
  • the_smirkthe_smirk Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The questions constantly ask best, more, main words to confuse you. There are two good answers and need to select the best one. The Sybex tests include clear questions like definition of confidentiality and you select that answer. CISSP messes with the terminology to maybe confuse you...
  • roxerroxer Member Posts: 130 ■■■□□□□□□□
    OK - I'm going to throw this out at you - CISM. If you want to have questions that rely on that type of questioning, that is exactly how ISACA does their question bank. Everything is based on Best/Most/Primary/Main/First/etc. Understanding what those are asking is the key. Like FIRST indicates steps to perform something. BEST means there are more than one right answer, but one is better than the other--not more right, just better (this is where experience kicks in). The best training I had was the Krag Brotby 2-day CISM Prep class. They (Megamind) have one for the CISSP too I might do.

Do you remember what domains you were hit with the most?
  • shimasenseishimasensei Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    the_smirk wrote: »
    The questions constantly ask best, more, main words to confuse you. There are two good answers and need to select the best one. The Sybex tests include clear questions like definition of confidentiality and you select that answer. CISSP messes with the terminology to maybe confuse you...

Yup, I experienced the same thing. What helped me is remembering to read the question 3 or 4 times to clear up the wording.
    Current: BSc IT + CISSP, CCNP:RS, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:RS, CCENT, Sec+, P+, A+, L+/LPIC-1, CSSS, VCA6-DCV, ITILv3:F, MCSA:Win10
    Future Plans: MSc + PMP, CCIE/NPx, GIAC...
  • TeeDarling77TeeDarling77 Member Posts: 16 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I can feel your pain. ISC2 makes money this way by designing their CISSP exam in such a way that most people will fail at their first try. You read the recommended books for CISSP but they twist the exams words for people to fail so they can make more money. They know when you fail, people will encourage you to try it again. It's really not fair the way the exam questions are asked just to fail a whole bunch of people.
    I know some people who have failed the exam by studying the ISC2 CBK guide and the Sybex guide a couple of times, did a whole bunch of practice tests, watch different videos and still failed the test.
  • TheProfezzorTheProfezzor Member Posts: 204 ■■■□□□□□□□
    the_smirk wrote: »
    So today I took the CISSP exam and failed miserably. I dedicated a lot of time studying by reading the Sybex book and watching videos (Cybrary) only to get asked questions that I didn't necessarily study...

One of the problems I faced when I was writing the CISSP exam was the wording of the questions. I could have sworn who ever wrote the questions, wasn't good at writing English, let alone CISSP questions. Stupid mistakes the could easily lead you to the wrong answer. Out of the 400 questions I answered, I commented on almost 350, expressing my concerns about the poorly written questions. It was supposed to be a SECURITY exam, and I was supposed to be tested on security concepts. Instead, I spent most of my time figuring out what the hell is the question trying to ask.

Furthermore, I suppose the CAT system did change the way they want the candidate to answer the questions. If it helps, you can go through my "Passed CISSP" thread here, and try to figure out how you could have done better. I myself studied for 3 years and postponed the exam twice, until someone literally pushed me to take the exam. It was a DO OR DIE for me and it came out pretty good.

Passed CISSP Exam
    OSCP: Loading . . .
  • bjpeterbjpeter Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That sucks, man. Hope you tried again and passed!
    2021 Goals (2): SSCP, eCPPT
    Achieved (27): Certified Associate in Python Programming, Microsoft Certified: Azure Fundamentals, PenTest+, Project+, CySA+, Flutter Certified Application Developer, OCP Java EE 7 Application Developer, CCSP, OCP Java SE 11 Developer, CISSP, Linux+/LPIC-1, CCSKv4, OCE Java EE 6 JPA Developer, CSSLP, Server+, Cloud+, Arcitura Certified Cloud Professional, CASP+, Mobility+, Storage+, Android Certified Application Developer, OCP Java SE 8 Programmer, Security+, OCM Java SE 6 Developer, B.S. and M.S. in Computer Science
  • fadsterfadster Member Posts: 13 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Press on and hope you will clear it..Yes i agree..the questions look a lot more like GMAT questions to me. Wordy and not quite easy to understand what the question is trying to ask. Had to read the questions and given answer choices 4 to 5 times just trying to make sense what concept is being asked.

Main strategy is to try and do as much practice questions as possible know why is it right or wrong.. All the best!
  • advanex1advanex1 Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hey.. sorry to hear that. Here's some of the information I posted on Reddit about my pass. Maybe the info in here will help you out a bit.

"Hello all,

Have only been lurking for a short while but I spent about 3 weeks preparing for the exam. I have about 10 years in IT working as a Sys Admin, Cybersecurity Admin, ISSO, etc. Was a pretty stressful experience but I'm glad it's over with. Here are my thoughts:

1. Kelly Handerhan was great. While she doesn't go as in depth as some of the things I saw on the test, neither did the books so I can't fault her or her videos. They did what they were supposed to do.

2. CCCure.org did a good job of reinforcing the basics but the way some of their questions are phrased sucks. I think it's just a matter of going through and doing some QA on them. I'd like to say, that there is no way that these questions compare to the ones on the CISSP however.

3. Larry Greenblatt did a nice job of keeping me entertained while watching the amount that I did. I can't say that he was any more in depth, but he gave me a different view on the information than Kelly.

4. I read through Shon Harris' book and the Sybex book. I would recommend the Sybex over Shon Harris. Shon Harris is way too lengthy/wordy to be worth the time. I think that the Sybex equivalent does a great job of going through the things that will be covered on the exam, but again not as in depth as you can expect to see on the exam in some questions.

5. Used the CISM Pocket Prep app and I'm glad I did. While those questions are definitely more broad, the app slaps you in the face pretty early if you're not strong on governance and in same cases 3-4 answers look correct which is good preparation for the exam.

6. I didn't have an exam where I was forced to think "Am I a technician or a manager in this case?" Everything was pretty managerial. I feel like I can count the amount of technical questions/easy questions I had on my fingers and toes.

7. The questions asked on this exam were mind blowing at some points. I had to read, re-read, re-read again, and re-read for a 10th time in some cases to understand what they were trying to ask. It wasn't completely clear on some of them so I had to pick the words out of the sentences to throw something together that I assume they were asking. I think ISC2 can do a better job of rephrasing them.

There is no testing software, question simulator, or the like that will prepare you for the way those questions are asked.

I thought that I 100% failed that test and put my head in my hands numerous times thinking that it was over. Most of that might have been the stress/anxiety of taking the test and not trusting my own judgement. You really have to trust your gut in this test and go with what you know. I think that's where experience comes in and the reinforcement of the basics to try and piece the questions/answers together.

Overall, happy to have it over with. Thanks for all the advice on this forum. Has been helpful."

Currently Reading: CISM: All-in-One
    New Blog: https://jpinit.com/blog
  • donw35donw35 Member Posts: 78 ■■■□□□□□□□
    took the exam and failed it yesterday and can confirm, poor English in some of the questions. I read them three times to make sure. it needs to be reviewed some of the CISSP Nija's out here