Those pesky discounts for people with .edu email addresses! Wish I had one!

SquishedSquished Member Posts: 191 ■■■□□□□□□□
Some may call me cheap, I call myself frugal/thrifty. Who am I kidding, I'm cheap. One thing I noticed is the price of many exams are substantially cheaper (by half or more in some cases) if you can prove you have a .edu email address. I've been out of college 11 years. My .edu email is gone, it has been for a long time. I Googled everything about how to obtain me a .edu and some of the stuff I found was amazing. For $3 you can get yourself a legit .edu email address alias that really works (trust me) however using it for discounts on certs is most certainly a violation of the TOS and potentially could cause you to lose the cert if caught if I had to guess. Why risk it?

So I started poking around at my alumni website to see what they had to offer if anything. Well, crap. They offer a LIFETIME .edu email for all alumni. One quick phone call and I had my .edu email set back up from 11 years ago and I was off to the races. Just signed up for my first cert at half price.

Who know's what else I missed out on over the years. What a dope.

Carry on.
[2018] - A+ 901 (PASS), A+ 902 (PASS), Project+ (PASS), Security+ (PASS), Network+(PASS), CySA, Cloud+
[2018] - MBA - IT Management - WGU (PASS)

HR: “What if we train them and they leave?”
ME: “What if we don’t train them and they stay?”

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I would’ve paid for the Edu domain because I am an outlaw and since my CEH expired now I have absolutely no ethics icon_smile.gif
  • SquishedSquished Member Posts: 191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    I would’ve paid for the Edu domain because I am an outlaw and since my CEH expired now I have absolutely no ethics icon_smile.gif

$3 gets you a .edu email. No joke. In the end, I saved the $3 and got one for free. See, I'm cheap. That $3 covers the next 3 days of coffee.
    [2018] - A+ 901 (PASS), A+ 902 (PASS), Project+ (PASS), Security+ (PASS), Network+(PASS), CySA, Cloud+

• gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    since my CEH expired now I have absolutely no ethics icon_smile.gif

Legit LOL!
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I abuse the hell out of my perma-edu account. I'm a naughty person I guess
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com

I can't wait to see what else I can use it for.

• GirlyGirlGirlyGirl Member Posts: 219

I was buying a Mircrosoft voucher about two weeks ago and stumbled upon a student discount. I just needed to verify my Microsoft Account. I entered the information, confirmed on my student email with the link, then BAM the voucher price went down. I still failed the exam but the thrill was worth the experience and loss of funds. Thanks Microsoft!
  • jayc71jayc71 Member Posts: 112 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've considered signing on as an Adjunct Prof at a local college just for the .edu address.... heh, in the end it's just more work than it's worth though. I have my own IT company now, better to just write off exam costs as business expenses. ;)
    CISSP, CCSP, CCSK, Sec+, AWS CSA/Developer/Sysops Admin Associate, AWS CSA Pro, AWS Security - Specialty, ITILv3, Scrummaster, MS, BS, AS, my head hurts.
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Squished wrote: »

You can get MS office suite for $10.
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod

*shrug* I haven't taken a MS or EC-Council exam since college where they paid for the certs so it's not like I'm using it for that anyways. 50% off Amazon Prime however....
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
    *shrug* I haven't taken a MS or EC-Council exam since college where they paid for the certs so it's not like I'm using it for that anyways. 50% off Amazon Prime however....

That's what i mean. There's tons of other non-cert related stuff a .edu comes in handy for.

• urstuffplz1urstuffplz1 Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It would be good if we could get a list together of what/where you can use these discounts.

The ones I have used mine for:
    1. Amazon Prime (50% off)
    2. MS Exams (think they're 40-50% cheaper)
    3. Free Juniper training (https://learningportal.juniper.net/juniper/user_activity_info.aspx?id=10175)
    4. Azure for students (https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/education/)
    2018 Goals: CCNP Route 300-101[X], CCNP Switch 300-115[X], CCNP T'Shoot 300-135[X], VCP-DCV 6[], 70-412[], 70-413[], 70-414[]
    It would be good if we could get a list together of what/where you can use these discounts.

The ones I have used mine for:
    1. Amazon Prime (50% off)
    2. MS Exams (think they're 40-50% cheaper)
    3. Free Juniper training (https://learningportal.juniper.net/juniper/user_activity_info.aspx?id=10175)
    4. Azure for students (https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/education/)

Awesome idea. Where should we put it?

• Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Doesn't the Prime discount only last a few years? I mean I took it anyway but I was just billed full price again recently.
  • urstuffplz1urstuffplz1 Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Awesome idea. Where should we put it?

I'm not sure, maybe we could see if we can get a sticky on the forum page? Not sure the process. Does anyone know?
    2018 Goals: CCNP Route 300-101[X], CCNP Switch 300-115[X], CCNP T'Shoot 300-135[X], VCP-DCV 6[], 70-412[], 70-413[], 70-414[]
  • PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Hmm. Let me think about what I've found besides what's been listed.

Spotify with Hulu
    Microsoft
    VMWare
    Lots of AV products
    Adobe
    Cell providers
    Apple, Dell, HP, etc.
    Sam's Club
    Insurance companies if you're young enough (I think)
    Car companies

Also some retail places will give you a student discount with an ID card or online with your .edu.
  • mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think it would be great to list how to get a new .edu email address for discounts
    OR
    some kind of sticky for a discount on cert exams
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    IEEE Computer Society + ACM student memberships are good, but I think you need to be currently a student to join as a student :D.

IEEE & IEEE Computer Society Student Membership.
    https://www.ieee.org/membership_services/membership/join/join_dues.html

ACM Membership.
    https://www.acm.org/membership/membership-options
  • LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sweet, thanks for the free Office 365.
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    yoba222@hogwarts.edu or something similarly ridiculous might be fun to have for $3.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Registering a .edu will cost more thn 3$
    Eligibility for a .edu domain name is limited to U.S. postsecondary institutions that are institutionally accredited, i.e., the entire institution and not just particular programs, by agencies on the U.S. Department of Education’s list of Nationally Recognized Accrediting Agencies. These include both "Regional Institutional Accrediting Agencies" and "National Institutional and Specialized Accrediting Bodies" recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Note that institutional accreditation is required for .edu eligibility; program accreditation is not sufficient. Not all agencies accredit institutions. Some accredit only institutions, some accredit only programs, and others accredit both institutions and programs. It is also important to note that, while every effort is made to keep the EDUCAUSE list up-to-date, the U.S. Department of Education's list of Nationally Recognized Accrediting Agencies and State Agencies are the only official comprehensive lists of agencies.
    https://net.educause.edu/FAQ/Eligibility
  • jamshid666jamshid666 Member Posts: 48 ■■■□□□□□□□
    WGU gives alumni a lifetime .edu email address. And another discount to help with all the time we spend sitting on our asses behind a keyboard: the YMCA and other gyms offer student discount rates so we can keep our bodies in shape.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security Estimated completion: May 2019
    Remaining courses: C846 (ITIL), C768 (OA), C850 (OA), C769 (Capstone)
    Active Certifications: A+, CCDA, CCNA-R&S, CCNA-Security, CIW-SDA, i-Net+, Network+, Project+, Security+, Server+, Splunk Certified User, VCP-DCV
    Expired Certifications: CCNP, LPIC-1, MCSE, RHCSE,