CISSP now only three hours and 100-150 questions

EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
With the exam objectives coming out soon, it looks like they've made another major change to the test. It is now down to only three hours and 100-150 questions. Definitely makes it easier to get the cert, but it must be frustrating for everyone who already took six hours out of their life for a multiple choice test.

Comments

• NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yeaaaa, this new format change was put into effect December 18th icon_wink.gif
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Not really. As has been noted on the official ISC(2) board the exam should be more difficult under the latest CAT and soon changing slightly again in April 2018 to the new CAT than the old long, paper format exam that people literally took all six hours to complete. Being able to go back and forth and essentially being able to answer questions by seeing other questions was a real benefit to many folks back in the day.

What I do miss from the old format was that you were proctored by people who already had passed the CISSP instead of just stopping by the generic testing center. Hate to sound too old fashioned but it was really much cooler when you handed in your scan sheet and were greeted by a friendly handshake and a "congratulations" - whether you passed or not was immaterial. Today is obviously just an anonymous machine based exercise leaving me thinking more recent exam takers missed out on the almost "ceremonial" feel of passing the exam.

The field was very small back then as well. Still it only took a couple hours to slowly go through 250 questions so three hours hardly appears to be a stretch for as many as 150 questions.

Over 125,000 cert holders now.

- b/eads
  • ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If anything, the style of the exam could affect those who normally do not do well on tests. It is neither easier or more difficult as far as the material goes though. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe you are able to return to previously answered items on the CAT version? That could certainly present a challenge to many people as it could cause them to burn up more time if they are unsure what answer to select.
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    ITSec14 wrote: »
    If anything, the style of the exam could affect those who normally do not do well on tests. It is neither easier or more difficult as far as the material goes though. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe you are able to return to previously answered items on the CAT version? That could certainly present a challenge to many people as it could cause them to burn up more time if they are unsure what answer to select.

Nope. Part of the reason for going to CAT was that you can no longer flip back and forth and has been one of those "the reason we did this..." answers from the ISC(2) was precisely that you can no longer flip back and forth.

True that for people who suffer from test anxiety will either learn to get comfortable taking these exams or suffer at the hands of the question writers. The more tests one takes the easier these thing get. I wish there was a YouTube video or something on taking these newer types of exams and explaining how to reason your way through them but that would be counter-productive unto itself.

- b/eads
  • csjohnngcsjohnng Member Posts: 38 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yes, it's a 3 hour test of 100-150 questions.
    I pass the exam this morning and I have answered 120-130 questions and the exam stops according to my answer to those question.
    While it stop, it just say that you have finished the exam and go for collection of the score/point, the screen did not say I pass or fail which scares me a bit at that moment and until I've got the result I am relief.

In general I think the CAT is a bit harder than tradition paper of 250 question.

There are 2 type of person, I would call (a) exam-type, knowing tricks and how to do exam well (b) knowledge type of person. (or maybe 3 which is a+b)

If you are an exam type of person, in my opinion the latest (or current) CAT will make the exam much more difficult because you cannot go back, once you have answered the question, you are done (you can review) and the next question will get either harder or easier depend if you answer the question correctly.

for Knowledge person, it should be "indifference" I guess, either you know or you don't.
    With 250 questions, you will have a more "tolerance" for wrong answers (or careless mistake/ you misread a couple of question is ok ), the fewer the question ,the more accurate you need to be in order to pass. (just like sampling size)

The challenge of answering 250 questions in 6 hours is overcoming fatigue, keeping you mind clear within this 6 hours.
    while the CAT is really testing how accurate and knowledge/ability you are.

So I think ISC2 moving to CAT is the right move.
    John
    MBA ,C|CISO, CISA, CISM, CGEIT, CRISC, CDPSE, CISSP/ISSAP/ISSEP/ISSMP, CCSP, CSSLP, CASP+, Linux +, TOGAF 9; AWS Certified Security – Specialty, Amazon Web Services Solutions Architect Associate
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    FYI: CISSP Computerized Adaptive Testing

And I agree with beads about old fashion exam rooms with human proctors, scratching a pencil on paper, and scribbling all over the exam booklet too. I kept my exam pencils (SSCP and CISSP) and display them on my certificate's frames.
  • thaiguy314thaiguy314 Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Out of curiosity, I would be really interested in seeing the pass rate for the CAT format vs the old format... or if there's a difference at all.
    Certs: CISSP, CEH, CCNA Cyber Ops, Security+
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    beads wrote: »
    I wish there was a YouTube video or something on taking these newer types of exams and explaining how to reason your way through them but that would be counter-productive unto itself.

- b/eads

Back when I did the CISSP in 2013 there was such a thing. SANS had a CISSP podcast by Eric Conrad I think it was, that did just this. That was probably the single most helpful thing I used in preparation for the exam. He broke down each type of question that would appear (most correct of multiple correct choices, the "least worst" answer, etc), and how to work through each one.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework