Took the AWS Certified Security - Specialty Beta today

Man that was tough. I didn't feel like I was going to pass going in as preparation has not been the best. I've just used ACG's course to prep, and took notes during my pass through the videos. I have to say that the questions were pretty much all scenario based, and seemed hard. I'll probably retake the exam when I get the voucher but only because I've already sunk the money into it. At this point I may go for the CSAA, but for now I'm just going to attack the CCSK and CCSP.
Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
Next Up:​ OSCP
Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework

Comments

• fascfasc Member Posts: 13 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I sat the AWS Certified Security - Specialty Beta today and felt well prepared. I'm really hoping I passed. I also did the ACG course but went further in the preparation. Also watched several ReInvent 2017 videos on security topics and took some notes on those. Then I read several of the Whitepapers and did many labs to fully understand the security features. This extra effort was essential during the exam as many questions were not completely covered by the ACG videos. Nonetheless, this is a Beta Exam so I know some topics are unpredictable.

I highly recommend you do the CSAA first. I also did the CCP as a pre-requisite for the Security Exam but then realized I needed a better grasp of basic AWS features before doing the Security. Thus, I studied for the CSAA and passed that a couple of weeks ago. I was a lot better prepared for the Security Exam than I was for the CSAA. That's why I'm hoping I'll pass.

Knowledge from the ReInvent 2017 videos is key as they fill in some very specific details of KMS, incident response, and IAM. I even felt like one KMS scenario question on the exam was poorly formulated as I had just watched Ken Beer's presentation on KMS explaining how KMS Policy is KING and trumps IAM policy. The exam question seemed to ignore that fact and in essence, should have no right answers.

Finally, after you have completed the CSAA on ACG, watch the S3 Masterclass and the Sysops classes as well. Some complementary material in those.

Good luck!
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Awesome feedback fasc! Thank you for that. I'm going to move on to the CCSK and CCSP for now. I'm kind of in an interesting situation at work (that I'm not happy about) so I am thinking of knocking those two out and moving on to pentesting training.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • jayc71jayc71 Member Posts: 112 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Great feedback, thanks to you both. I have the Adv Networking exam scheduled, then I play to take the Security exam.
    CISSP, CCSP, CCSK, Sec+, AWS CSA/Developer/Sysops Admin Associate, AWS CSA Pro, AWS Security - Specialty, ITILv3, Scrummaster, MS, BS, AS, my head hurts.
  • lacagrl17lacagrl17 Member Posts: 40 ■■■□□□□□□□
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    I have to say that the questions were pretty much all scenario based, and seemed hard. I'll probably retake the exam when I get the voucher but only because I've already sunk the money into it.

Oh no, have you tried Linux Academy yet? The courses come fully loaded with hands-on, scenario-based labs where you can spin up a live AWS environment and practice the skills that you're learning in the videos to really understand the material.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    lacagrl17 wrote: »
    Oh no, have you tried Linux Academy yet? The courses come fully loaded with hands-on, scenario-based labs where you can spin up a live AWS environment and practice the skills that you're learning in the videos to really understand the material.

I haven't yet, but I will try them for my next attempt (I'm assuming I didn't pass). I took notes of most of the text from the ACG course so I'll read that as a study guide and then do the LA course.

My problem seemed to be the questions itself. It seems like hands on labs may not have helped me with the questions I struggled with. But I'm definitely going to try some new sources of study material so will check out LA.
  • lacagrl17lacagrl17 Member Posts: 40 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Where did you train using hands on labs in the past?

Please keep us posted on your progress!
  • fascfasc Member Posts: 13 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I passed the exam. Just got the results today!