Options

Passed GREM Today

TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
Brutal exam, but I managed to squeak by with a 73.33%, there was at least two questions on the exam that were not in my books, I commented on them. Just make's me question if I'm really getting an exam based on the books I have, or weather I got a newer version of the exam. Finished with about 5 minutes to spare. Taking a break for a couple weeks and plan in tackling my long overdue CCNA cert, not that I really want it, but it counts as a technical certification for the DoD, all the GIAC certs I have are considered security certs. Trying to give myself the most flexibility when it comes to obtaining future employment.
Still searching for the corner in a round room.

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Congrats man! This is one of those exams in my "nope, don't even bother" category so again, good job!
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Nice! Congrats!
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Congrats!!! What type of questions did the GREM exam have (scenario questions, interpret output, random fact memorization, etc)?
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    al88al88 Member Posts: 62 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That was a close call! Congratulation for not giving up! =)
  • Options
    fabostrongfabostrong Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats. Did you have any kind of reverse engineering or malware experience before you took the course?
  • Options
    fabostrong wrote: »
    Congrats. Did you have any kind of reverse engineering or malware experience before you took the course?

Nope, other than looking at file header information with PEStudio. I did have a couple of computers I had to re-install Windows in the past after getting hit with malware. icon_redface.gif
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Congrats!!! What type of questions did the GREM exam have (scenario questions, interpret output, random fact memorization, etc)?

All of the above. There were still questions on the exam my 1,100 entry index didn't cover.
    al88 wrote: »
    That was a close call! Congratulation for not giving up! =)

I studied for at least twice as much than I did for each my first two GIAC exams.
  • Options
    mactexmactex Member Posts: 80 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats. I don't think I could stomach this one; so hats off to you. "Submit ticket to re-image" is as far as I want to go with malware after discovery.
  • Options
    InCryptableInCryptable Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations! As you mentioned, it's good to stretch out your certification options across a wide field and make yourself that much more well-rounded within the IT field to do a lot of various jobs.
  • Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Wow, that was a close call! Congrats, you showed some dedication here!
  • Options
    NEODREAMNEODREAM Member Posts: 124 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Awesome job...I know this cert is a beast. Couple of the folks I worth with have it and all say the same thing in regards to how tough it was.

What did you use to study out of curiosity?
    Goal: eJPT Mar. 2020 | GDAT May 2020 | eCPPT Dec. 2020
  • Options
    SaSkillerSaSkiller Member Posts: 337 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats. When I took my GREM practice exam I felt like I needed additional data not from the course. It was the first exam I really worried about passing, and as you can see, I haven't taken it yet.

Congrats.
    OSWP, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIH, CPT, CCENT, CompTIA Trio.
  • Options
    meni0nmeni0n Member Posts: 68 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Is this exam all multiple choice?
  • Options
    meni0n wrote: »
    Is this exam all multiple choice?

Yes. Generally 4 answers, but I've seen as few as 3 and as many as 5 possible answers.
  • Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    SaSkiller wrote: »
    Congrats. When I took my GREM practice exam I felt like I needed additional data not from the course. It was the first exam I really worried about passing, and as you can see, I haven't taken it yet.

Congrats.

Actually the course refers to many external articles/papers etc. Probably, if one doesn't have malware analysis work experience they should be included into studies as well.
  • Options
    asruinoiuaasruinoiua Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats.
    I am getting this cert next few months. Can you share with me some experience for pass this exams?
    Does SANS have study materials?
    Thank you so much.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Wait, you are getting the cert and asking is SANS has study materials?
  • Options
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Wait, you are getting the cert and asking is SANS has study materials?

He sounds adequately prepared for the exam to me.
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■
    TechGromit wrote: »
    He sounds adequately prepared for the exam to me.

Obviously he isn't prepared if he's asking that question on TE when everyone knows that is what you ask at the test center right before the exam.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    al88al88 Member Posts: 62 ■■■□□□□□□□
    asruinoiua wrote: »
    Congrats.
    I am getting this cert next few months. Can you share with me some experience for pass this exams?
    Does SANS have study materials?
    Thank you so much.

For the sake of giving you the benefit of doubt, sure, here's a non-SANS source. If you understand it cover-to-cover, i almost guarantee you a pass at GREM. Good luck ;)

Practical Malware Analysis: The Hands-on Guide to Dissecting Malicious Software https://g.co/kgs/FQhCWJ
  • Options
    LR0926LR0926 Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I second that. Honestly, if you complete that book and all the labs, you'll be past what you need for the GREM.
  • Options
    Randy_RandersonRandy_Randerson Member Posts: 115 ■■■□□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Congrats man! This is one of those exams in my "nope, don't even bother" category so again, good job!

No kidding. I like to feel I have a solid grasp of things like Pen Testing, Web App Pen Testing, Forensics, Investigations, Perimeter Defense. But one thing I have absolutely no desire to learn -- malware reversing or creating. Ugh

Congrats TechGromit! Know you've been dreading that test.
  • Options
    JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Very nice! Congrats sir!

I just realized when you posted this icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    wrickazwrickaz Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□